New York Automotive pro-hobby bills for 2022

General discussion relating to club happenings and items related to Merkurs in general such as "Merkur sightings". If you just signed on, please feel to start a new thread and introduce yourself here. Posts specifically regarding either the XR4Ti or Scorpio should go in those specific forums. Feel free to make suggestions on improving this forum here as well.
Merkur Club web site
turboxr4

New York Automotive pro-hobby bills for 2022

Post by turboxr4 »

Happy New Year to all!
I just received an email from SEMA Action Network regarding some automotive bills being introduced in the New York Legislature.

Please go to the link below to support:
https://www.semasan.com/legislative-ale ... n=LegAlert

A. 4008 — Allows the display of only a single, rear-mounted license plate for a $50 fee.

This bill protects the aesthetic contours of cars and relieves vehicle owners of the burden of having to create mounting holes on original bumpers.
 This bill accommodates classic and special-interest vehicles, many of which are not originally equipped with a designated place to display a front plate.
 This bill saves money, conserves resources, and allows greater performance and styling equipment options for automotive enthusiasts in the state and the industry supporting their hobby.

A. 4202 — Reduces safety inspections from annual to biennial for antique, classic, and collector vehicles.

This bill requires a biennial inspection instead of an annual inspection for antique, classic, and collector vehicles.
 This bill recognizes that these vehicles are generally driven significantly fewer miles on New York roadways than other passenger vehicles, making the annual inspection an undue burden on hobbyists.

A. 6931 — Creates a one-time registration fee for historical vehicle owners. 

The reduced registration fee would be available to owners of historical vehicles owned and operated as an exhibition piece or collector’s item and used for club activities, exhibits, tours, parades, occasional transportation, and similar uses.
 This bill replaces the current annual fee of $28.75 with a $100 one-time fee.
 This bill brings the state in line with other states seeking to reward automotive enthusiasts and expand opportunities for these prized vehicles to be enjoyed.
DPDISXR4Ti
Site Admin

Re: New York Automotive pro-hobby bills for 2022

Post by DPDISXR4Ti »

I wonder if they'll actually move forward on any of these. Some of these were first proposed over 10 years ago! :beats head

Here's an easy way to reach out to the appropriate lawmakers in support of these....

https://www.semasan.com/legislative-ale ... =LegAlert
Brad
eaton53
Level 6
Level 6

Post by eaton53 »

IL made a HUGE change to the "EA" Expanded Use Antique Plates last year.
The restricted period changed from November thru March to December, January and February.
The Scorpio is halfway through the restricted period already! XR still has regular plates.
Mark Copeland - I'm 50 miles west of Kewanee, IL

'89 XR4Ti
Car was the 2014 MCA Merkur Preservation Award Winner
'89 Scorpio
This one has a very bright and shiny future.
Proud member of the Iowa-Illinois Merkur Owner's Association since 2015. :cheers
DPDISXR4Ti
Site Admin

Post by DPDISXR4Ti »

Briefly, it's bills A. 4008, A. 4202, and A. 6931 that you want them to support.

Here's the people you want to send an e-mail to:

bronsonh@nyassembly.gov <bronsonh@nyassembly.gov>; burgosk@nyassembly.gov <burgosk@nyassembly.gov>; ByrneK@nyassembly.gov <ByrneK@nyassembly.gov>; darlingt@nyassembly.gov <darlingt@nyassembly.gov>; destefanoj@nyassembly.gov <destefanoj@nyassembly.gov>; DiPietroD@nyassembly.gov <DiPietroD@nyassembly.gov>; FahyP@nyassembly.gov <FahyP@nyassembly.gov>; frontusm@nyassembly.gov <frontusm@nyassembly.gov>; gallaghere@nyassembly.gov <gallaghere@nyassembly.gov>; HunterP@nyassembly.gov <HunterP@nyassembly.gov>; hyndmana@nyassembly.gov <hyndmana@nyassembly.gov>; jacobsonj@nyassembly.gov <jacobsonj@nyassembly.gov>; LupardoD@nyassembly.gov <LupardoD@nyassembly.gov>; MagnarW@nyassembly.gov <MagnarW@nyassembly.gov>; mcdonoughd@nyassembly.gov <mcdonoughd@nyassembly.gov>; mcmahonk@nyassembly.gov <mcmahonk@nyassembly.gov>; millerb@nysassembly.gov <millerb@nysassembly.gov>; mitaynesm@nyassembly.gov <mitaynesm@nyassembly.gov>; norrism@nyassembly.gov <norrism@nyassembly.gov>; PerryN@nyassembly.gov <PerryN@nyassembly.gov>; sillittig@nyassembly.gov <sillittig@nyassembly.gov>; simonj@nyassembly.gov <simonj@nyassembly.gov>; ThieleF@nyassembly.gov <ThieleF@nyassembly.gov>; Mark Walczyk <walczykm@nyassembly.gov>; wallacem@nyassembly.gov <wallacem@nyassembly.gov>; williamsja@nyassembly.gov <williamsja@nyassembly.gov>; stateleg@sema.org <stateleg@sema.org>; sanalert@sema.org <sanalert@sema.org>
Brad
milehighXR
Level 7
Level 7

Post by milehighXR »

What sorts of mileage restrictions do you collectors, antique and classic license plates have? I ask only because up until 2009 in CO you could put a collectors tag on a car that was 25yrs old or older, avoid emissions tests, and drive as much as you wanted. Unfortunately this has been changed. Last time i looked at it it was now 32 yrs old or older regardless or year built, and any car 1979 or newer had to smog every 5yrs(its a 5yr tag), and now a 4500mi mileage restriction.

Needless to say my XR will not ever be getting collectors tags. Id rather put with the biennial smog test, then mileage restrictions since I intend to daily the car.
turboxr4 wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 7:17 pm Happy New Year to all!
I just received an email from SEMA Action Network regarding some automotive bills being introduced in the New York Legislature.

Please go to the link below to support:
https://www.semasan.com/legislative-ale ... n=LegAlert

A. 4008 — Allows the display of only a single, rear-mounted license plate for a $50 fee.

This bill protects the aesthetic contours of cars and relieves vehicle owners of the burden of having to create mounting holes on original bumpers.
 This bill accommodates classic and special-interest vehicles, many of which are not originally equipped with a designated place to display a front plate.
 This bill saves money, conserves resources, and allows greater performance and styling equipment options for automotive enthusiasts in the state and the industry supporting their hobby.

A. 4202 — Reduces safety inspections from annual to biennial for antique, classic, and collector vehicles.

This bill requires a biennial inspection instead of an annual inspection for antique, classic, and collector vehicles.
 This bill recognizes that these vehicles are generally driven significantly fewer miles on New York roadways than other passenger vehicles, making the annual inspection an undue burden on hobbyists.

A. 6931 — Creates a one-time registration fee for historical vehicle owners. 

The reduced registration fee would be available to owners of historical vehicles owned and operated as an exhibition piece or collector’s item and used for club activities, exhibits, tours, parades, occasional transportation, and similar uses.
 This bill replaces the current annual fee of $28.75 with a $100 one-time fee.
 This bill brings the state in line with other states seeking to reward automotive enthusiasts and expand opportunities for these prized vehicles to be enjoyed.
Johnny

1 86 XR aka Naomi- my first love, now project car
1 14 black Fiesta SE aka Fiona- my new DD

DCLXVI
DPDISXR4Ti
Site Admin

Post by DPDISXR4Ti »

milehighXR wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 2:16 pm What sorts of mileage restrictions do you collectors, antique and classic license plates have?
I don't think NYS has a mileage restriction, but it ends up being an implied restriction by the historic insurance policy which has a max mileage of 5000 miles.
Brad
eaton53
Level 6
Level 6

Post by eaton53 »

milehighXR wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 2:16 pmWhat sorts of mileage restrictions do you collectors, antique and classic license plates have?
None, by either government or my insurer.
I get restricted by the road salt they throw all over the place out here.
I'll be back out there when it's gone.
Mark Copeland - I'm 50 miles west of Kewanee, IL

'89 XR4Ti
Car was the 2014 MCA Merkur Preservation Award Winner
'89 Scorpio
This one has a very bright and shiny future.
Proud member of the Iowa-Illinois Merkur Owner's Association since 2015. :cheers