Merkur desktop

General discussion relating to club happenings and items related to Merkurs in general such as "Merkur sightings". If you just signed on, please feel to start a new thread and introduce yourself here. Posts specifically regarding either the XR4Ti or Scorpio should go in those specific forums. Feel free to make suggestions on improving this forum here as well.
Merkur Club web site
milehighXR
Level 7
Level 7

Merkur desktop

Post by milehighXR »

Is it on the fritz or is it just my Firefox?

I get this when ever I go to merkur desktop:

Fatal error: Uncaught Error: Call to undefined function mysql_connect() in /home/juszi0/public_html/desktops/includes/dbinc.php:2 Stack trace: #0 /home/juszi0/public_html/desktops/includes/varsinc.php(1): include() #1 /home/juszi0/public_html/desktops/desktop.php(1): include('/home/juszi0/pu...') #2 {main} thrown in /home/juszi0/public_html/desktops/includes/dbinc.php on line 2

I have had it as my homepage for, as long as I can remember, and it has been doing the above for 3(?) weeks now. I have win10, and all the latest updates for firefox. I haven't tried any other browsers, as I don't use any others.
Johnny

1 86 XR aka Naomi- my first love, now daily driven project

DCLXVI
grampy666
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Merkur desktop

Post by grampy666 »

might be on the fritz. I rarely use it, but I just tried following the link from the MCA home page and it gives me the same error.

FWIW, I use an iMac with the Safari browser
-Michael-

1985 XR4TI - one owner - off the road since 1999, finally starting to work on it!
milehighXR
Level 7
Level 7

Post by milehighXR »

Well at least it's not just me, or a windows only issue.
Johnny

DCLXVI
DPDISXR4Ti
Site Admin

Post by DPDISXR4Ti »

We're working with Ryan on migrating the Merkur Desktop to our server. So it's not dead, just sleeping for the moment. :)
Brad
milehighXR
Level 7
Level 7

Post by milehighXR »

Ah, I was wondering if we'd see it again. Merkur Desktop has been my home page for, well as long as I can remember :lol: :shock:
Johnny

DCLXVI
John Brennan
Level 8

Post by John Brennan »

It definitely needs a metric ton of TLC; lots of dead links, outdated/missing stuff...
This is my car, and these are my people!
2015 Fiesta ST
2020 Edge 2.0 Ecoboost
ndgeek

Post by ndgeek »

There's been a lot of XR4Ti content created for Internet consumption, and LOST, in the last 10-15 years and I'd love to help make sure people still have access to that knowledge, learning and those resources. I've taken to having to copy some content out of the Internet Wayback Machine and then reposting it on my blog too. Thanks for trying to keep some of these great resources alive!
1988 XR4Ti, black on black, "Frank"
1988 XR4Ti, "rally car" with Cossie body bits, Koni yellows, 28/16mm anti-sway bars, Rapido springs, T5, Eaton LSD.
1987.5 XR4Ti, mono white, grey leather, T9, K2-edition tribute
1987.5 XR4Ti, mono white, grey cloth, T9 (sold, now in MI)
DPDISXR4Ti
Site Admin

Post by DPDISXR4Ti »

ndgeek wrote: Fri Oct 04, 2019 10:59 pm There's been a lot of XR4Ti content created for Internet consumption, and LOST, in the last 10-15 years and I'd love to help make sure people still have access to that knowledge, learning and those resources. I've taken to having to copy some content out of the Internet Wayback Machine and then reposting it on my blog too. Thanks for trying to keep some of these great resources alive!
I'd like to suggest that the greatest value this club can provide is an ongoing data-store for information that helps keep these cars alive and on the road. If you look back on most all of the information that has been lost, it's been "owned" by individuals that exited the scene (or sometimes even left this world). Having a group of people owning this data gives it a better chance to carry on.
Brad
my8950
Level 7
Level 7

Post by my8950 »

DPDISXR4Ti wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 2:08 pm
ndgeek wrote: Fri Oct 04, 2019 10:59 pm There's been a lot of XR4Ti content created for Internet consumption, and LOST, in the last 10-15 years and I'd love to help make sure people still have access to that knowledge, learning and those resources. I've taken to having to copy some content out of the Internet Wayback Machine and then reposting it on my blog too. Thanks for trying to keep some of these great resources alive!
I'd like to suggest that the greatest value this club can provide is an ongoing data-store for information that helps keep these cars alive and on the road. If you look back on most all of the information that has been lost, it's been "owned" by individuals that exited the scene (or sometimes even left this world). Having a group of people owning this data gives it a better chance to carry on.
Agreed, I'll own something...How to own it?
I've pdf printed threads, but thats not really possible to do for the entire forum.
ndgeek

Post by ndgeek »

As an example, I picked up a MerkMeter, unintentionally, as a part of a car shell I purchased. Turns out the maker is gone, the website is gone, the docs are gone...unless you go to the Wayback machine. There’s a number of other small time product makers in the community who give to the community for a period of time and then get out of the business. Totally get it. Life, overhead, etc. But, then that engagement and that person is gone and then you lose the support, or the ability for others to make that product for the community.

In this case, I found the docs for the MerkMeter in the Internet Wayback machine. I cut/pasted them to 23turbo.com since it’s hosted by Google and the domain is owned by me...until it isn’t. I’m in my 40s, so who knows, hopefully 30 years.

The forum is great, but it isn’t distilled at all, really. The Encyclopedia is great...sort of distilled knowledge. MerkurTech too. There’s a few others out there too. Just takes time to dig through it all...and then catch up when new developments come to light. Frequently on Facebook...which is also horrible for distilling knowledge.
1988 XR4Ti, black on black, "Frank"
1988 XR4Ti, "rally car" with Cossie body bits, Koni yellows, 28/16mm anti-sway bars, Rapido springs, T5, Eaton LSD.
1987.5 XR4Ti, mono white, grey leather, T9, K2-edition tribute
1987.5 XR4Ti, mono white, grey cloth, T9 (sold, now in MI)
DPDISXR4Ti
Site Admin

Post by DPDISXR4Ti »

ndgeek wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2019 1:47 pm Frequently on Facebook...which is also horrible for distilling knowledge.
Yes, FB is terrible as a knowledge-base. That's why I try to send people here to post stuff that we might want to have documented for reference in the future.
Brad