European Version Of The Pinto Engine

General discussion relating to club happenings and items related to Merkurs in general such as "Merkur sightings". If you just signed on, please feel to start a new thread and introduce yourself here. Posts specifically regarding either the XR4Ti or Scorpio should go in those specific forums. Feel free to make suggestions on improving this forum here as well.
Merkur Club web site
Truck451

European Version Of The Pinto Engine

Post by Truck451 »

Does anyone know which one or more of Ford's plants in Europe where the European version of the Pinto Engine that had powered the European versions of the Sierra, Scorpio, and Transit Vans were produced; such as Kent, Dagenham, Genk, Cologne, or Saarlouis?
andyofcolumbusmerkur
Level 7
Level 7

Re: European Version Of The Pinto Engine

Post by andyofcolumbusmerkur »

You will have to dig deeper but this is a start. I know the Lima was called that because the plant in Lima Ohio. Not so sure about plants in Europe.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Pinto_engine
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lima_Engine
The best way to keep your Kia from being stolen is to not have a Kia.
John Brennan
Level 8

Post by John Brennan »

I believe you're referring to the 2.0 engine which was the basis for the YB (Cossie) engines and some Pinto engines, but not the same as the 2.3 used as the basis for the Lima.
This is my car, and these are my people!
2015 Fiesta ST
2020 Edge 2.0 Ecoboost
thesameguy
Level 7
Level 7

Post by thesameguy »

Aye.... there was the T88/EAO/"116 block" motor from 1970, and then the Lima in '74. Both are OHC inline fours, but they are unrelated to each other. The former evolved into the YB and was only ever sold in European Fords. The latter evolved into a boat anchor, and was sold in not Europe. :P
andyofcolumbusmerkur
Level 7
Level 7

Post by andyofcolumbusmerkur »

thesameguy wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 3:48 pm Aye.... there was the T88/EAO/"116 block" motor from 1970, and then the Lima in '74. Both are OHC inline fours, but they are unrelated to each other. The former evolved into the YB and was only ever sold in European Fords. The latter evolved into a boat anchor, and was sold in not Europe. :P
You could also say it evolved into the 90's ranger motor until replaced with the less reliable dohc Mazda mill.
The best way to keep your Kia from being stolen is to not have a Kia.