Xr4ti Engine Rebuild

General discussion relating to club happenings and items related to Merkurs in general such as "Merkur sightings". If you just signed on, please feel to start a new thread and introduce yourself here. Posts specifically regarding either the XR4Ti or Scorpio should go in those specific forums. Feel free to make suggestions on improving this forum here as well.
Merkur Club web site
BlkXr4ti

Xr4ti Engine Rebuild

Post by BlkXr4ti »

I am a new (used) owner of a 1987 Black Xr4ti with 100,000 miles in CA.
The exterior is in relatively good condition but there is a low end knock noise. I have removed the motor and would like to get the rod bearings replace.

Any suggestion on this work? I have also try looking for a engine rebuild shop to rebuild the motor but most shops I ran to (Southern CA) said the engine is too old and no one wanted to touch it.
merkurdriver
Level 8

Re: Xr4ti Engine Rebuild

Post by merkurdriver »

You're in southern CA? How about Esslinger in Chino, CA?
https://esslingeracing.com/

Masters of the (SOHC) Ford 2.3
john keefe
Level 7
Level 7

Post by john keefe »

Esslinger is a great source, and has excellent components, but you'll probably have to go with their in-house production (or proprietary supplier) for the bottom end stuff. They will be expensive, but it you're not doing it yourself, and no one else will... In 2006, when I was considering NASA but had already swapped out F/R suspensions (taking me out of any stock class), I called them about a build, nothing outrageous, but enough to hold up to turbo forces on a track. They quoted me a mid-hi performance build for NASA that they "guaranteed would last 2 HPD races" before needing a rebuild... $8K per pop. :shock: I'm sure that would have been a drop in the bucket for a real, funded race team, but I was wondering how I'd be able to afford all the spare tires and rims, and a good trailer. :( :D

If it's "too old," try one of the muscle car restoration shops? They might have all the jigs, boring/honing plates, etc. laying around. Or, be able to point you to a shop which did/does mostly Ford stuff, as that 2.0/2.3L was big for dirt track racers, and off-road Rangers out here in CA. Too expensive to throw that stuff away.
andyofcolumbusmerkur
Level 7
Level 7

Post by andyofcolumbusmerkur »

I got rid of a lifter noise and more worrisome lower end knock on a 3.0 toyota using the Liqui Moly engine flush. If the 2.3 has good compression and runs you may get another 100k out of it.
The best way to keep your Kia from being stolen is to not have a Kia.
andyofcolumbusmerkur
Level 7
Level 7

If it's already on a stand, and compression checks out, maybe just replace the rod bearings? These guys want $2600 for a rebuilt lima turbo.
https://www.powertrainproducts.net/FORD ... p/1519.htm
BlkXr4ti

Post by BlkXr4ti »

Thank you all for the help, I am looking to restore this to original condition with the least amount of modification possible.
What happens to the days when machine shops can overhaul engines?
andyofcolumbusmerkur
Level 7
Level 7

You can completely disassemble it yourself, then send it out for cleaning and magnaflux. Machining the deck surface, align honing, and boring if needed. Any place that can do a 350 should be able to do a sohc ford 4 banger. As far as building it for you look into places that do mini stock racing engines. One of those shops should be able to build it up for you, or at least the short block. Just tell them it's for a mustang, if you ask about rebuilding a Merkur engine they may say no because they think they can't get parts for it. Though they should know all about turbo limas if they build up non-turbo 2.3 engines for racing applications. I think the more work you do (like cleaning and disassembly) the more you will save. Put that money towards other areas of the car.
Bob Weir
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Bob Weir »

BlkXr4ti

Welcome to the club.

You're eligible to get a FREE 1 yr PAID membership. Although, there's no fee required to use this website, being a PAID member has some benefits. One is the ability to attach images in your posts directly from your computer, tablet or smart phone. For more info, go here => viewtopic.php?f=19&t=30034

Suggestions:
1] Go to your Profile and at least enter city & state. It's in the drop down menu under your user name. City & state makes it easier for people to help you with local info.
2] Do your posts in the XR Forum - that's the most appropriate area.
3] Contact me regarding people in your area who might have a suggestion for a "local" shop. I have the club's database and I know where almost everyone lives.

Bob