New to forum Intro

General discussion relating to club happenings and items related to Merkurs in general such as "Merkur sightings". If you just signed on, please feel to start a new thread and introduce yourself here. Posts specifically regarding either the XR4Ti or Scorpio should go in those specific forums. Feel free to make suggestions on improving this forum here as well.
Merkur Club web site
Cool_story_bro

New to forum Intro

Post by Cool_story_bro »

If this is the correct place for a new form intro then I would like to say hello as well! :cheers I just got a hold of a 1986 manual xr4ti that has a confirmed 30,000 miles. When I bought it it came with a box of receipts that track all the way back to 1991 with over 10k of maintenance and repairs and every single re-registration that it's had from its one owner. As The story goes a couple of kids got it and started to rip it apart and build it up as a rally car. and then found another that doesn't have the sunroof so they left it as is and I picked it up. What I've discovered as I've dug into it so far, is an aftermarket radiator, a brand new master cylinder for the brakes, new timing belt, new accessory belts, new CV axles, new coolant hoses, an aftermarket suspension from 1995. 5cc over stock. injectors and a non OEM computer. The battery relocated to the rear and it also came with a heap of extra parts and things that they hadn't put on yet.

The wiring is a complete nightmare. But I'm going through the paces of giving it the TLC It needs.
New plugs, wires, cap and rotor. ReTimed 18°out,vacuum hoses replaces. Coolant drain, flush, full w/ new cap.
Coming up is oil pan gasket and change ( hoping it fixes a sticky lifter in #4)

Also I just acquired a full dealership service manual. I would love to answer any questions to help out.

Cheers from Arizona :cheers
MarkM
Level 7
Level 7

Re: New to forum Intro

Post by MarkM »

I'm splitting your post off into its own thread. Two separate discussions about new members and their cars in the same thread is likely to get confusing, quickly.

Also, could you elaborate on what "ReTimed 18°out" means? I have some concerns about that.

Welcome to the forum!
Mark
mfks

Post by mfks »

Awesome welcome I look forward to following your journey. I too just picked up an xr4ti.
Chris
88 xr4ti
Northern Illinois
merkurdriver
Level 8

Post by merkurdriver »

MarkM wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 2:33 am
Also, could you elaborate on what "ReTimed 18°out" means? I have some concerns about that.
Probably re-time it as the previous owners had it 18° out (of time).

To the original poster, welcome! :cheers

If your 1986 has a "late" oil pan (all the bolt heads are the same size) the 1 pc rubber pan gaskets are getting tough to find.
They're in stock at www.merkurdepot.com though
Cool_story_bro

Post by Cool_story_bro »

MarkM wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 2:33 am I'm splitting your post off into its own thread. Two separate discussions about new members and their cars in the same thread is likely to get confusing, quickly.

Welcome to the forum!
"ReTimed 18° out", meaning I set the timing to 18° retarded from tdc it was set at 8° when I checked it and the throttle was laggy and bogged down. Now that it's -18° it's very responsive and spools a lot quicker
my8950
Level 7
Level 7

Post by my8950 »

Cool_story_bro wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 11:04 pm
MarkM wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 2:33 am I'm splitting your post off into its own thread. Two separate discussions about new members and their cars in the same thread is likely to get confusing, quickly.

Welcome to the forum!
"ReTimed 18° out", meaning I set the timing to 18° retarded from tdc it was set at 8° when I checked it and the throttle was laggy and bogged down. Now that it's -18° it's very responsive and spools a lot quicker
Timing should be roughly 10degrees BTDC if this is a stock cam.
andyofcolumbusmerkur
Level 7
Level 7

Post by andyofcolumbusmerkur »

Sounds weird. Are you checking the timing with the spout connector separated? I would check the timing belt to see if someone installed it incorrectly or it jumped time. Timing would be 13 degrees if you have a 5 speed computer and 10 degrees if it has one from an auto/mustang/thunderbird etc. What computer do you have? What VAM do you have? Do you have some injectors other than brown top injectors? If it has been sitting awhile and you suspect a sticky lifter I would pull that valve cover. You might as well clean all carbon from the entire intake system and any sludge from the valve cover. You could soak the lifters and reinstall them. Check to see if there's some other issue like a broken valve spring.
The best way to keep your Kia from being stolen is to not have a Kia.