florida merkur owners

Discussion of events in the South, roughly defined as the southeastern seaboard to Texas.
Merkur Club web site
John Brennan
Level 8

Re: florida merkur owners

Post by John Brennan »

Couldn't agree more. :cheers
I hope this happens. Please keep us posted.
This is my car, and these are my people!
2015 Fiesta ST
2020 Edge 2.0 Ecoboost
ndustrl

Post by ndustrl »

Herb here in Clearwater FL area. I've had 2 XR4Ti vehicles in the past, looking for one currently as a regular driver. I use to live right up in Carlisle, PA and use to hit up the MCA meets back in the mid-2000s (2004-2009) Any Merkur action still happening in Florida? Any cars for sale? I'm watching the one on BAT currently but would prefer a 87 XR4Ti or earlier with the dual wing and paddle wheels. I'm sure I can by later version and swap parts, but don't really want that hassle anymore to be honest. Looking for a complete running car.

Herb
Palm Harbor, FL
cmouta
Level 3
Level 3

Post by cmouta »

Hey guys, I'm thinking of moving to to the Sarasota area for at least half the year(jan-jun). Are there any track or autox events local to the area? It seems any major track is at least two hours away. drivefast.org events are almost 2 hours away on the north side of tampa. Doesn't seem like rallyx happens anymore either huh?
Chris
1988 Mono Rosso Red Merkur XR4Ti - Sold!
andyofcolumbusmerkur
Level 7
Level 7

Post by andyofcolumbusmerkur »

There are lots of cool racing events. Just need to get you some big paddle tires and you are good to go!
The best way to keep your Kia from being stolen is to not have a Kia.
worked_xr
Level 7
Level 7

Post by worked_xr »

cmouta wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 12:26 pm Hey guys, I'm thinking of moving to to the Sarasota area for at least half the year(jan-jun). Are there any track or autox events local to the area? It seems any major track is at least two hours away. drivefast.org events are almost 2 hours away on the north side of tampa. Doesn't seem like rallyx happens anymore either huh?
I'm in Sarasota. Currently, your options for autocross is either drive a couple hours north to run at Brooksville with FAST or the Corvette or Porsche clubs, or drive an hour south to run with the Gulfcoast Autocrossers down at Buckingham Airfield in Fort Myers. There may be other autocross type events coming to Sarasota soon, but I'll let you know if/when that happens.

For track day type events, there are several driving organizations that do events at Sebring (less than 2 hours away), Palm Beach International Raceway (~3 hours), Orlando (~3 hours), The FIRM (~3 hours), and Daytona (~3 hours 15 minutes). I don't think a 3 hour drive is too terrible to drive at some of the most storied tracks in racing history (Sebring & Daytona)! BTW, The FIRM is also a rally venue, with rally school and all, if you're interested in that sorta thing.

Hope that helps. Message me if/when you're in town... I'm always up to meet a fellow XR owner.
worked_xr
Level 7
Level 7

Post by worked_xr »

BTW, there is an excellent (serious!) karting track local called Andersen Racepark. They have a full schedule of events and have rentals, offer licensing, etc. Something to consider if you're looking for a racing fix until you have time to make it to an auto-x or track day.
cmouta
Level 3
Level 3

Post by cmouta »

worked_xr wrote: Fri Jan 25, 2019 5:48 pm BTW, there is an excellent (serious!) karting track local called Andersen Racepark. They have a full schedule of events and have rentals, offer licensing, etc. Something to consider if you're looking for a racing fix until you have time to make it to an auto-x or track day.
Thanks Wyatt! Exactly what I was looking for. I'm planning on downsizing to a small condo which will most likely limit my ability to have multiple cars... with AC delete, solid engine mounts, an aggressive clutch and 30 years of age, the XR may not be the best car for my wife and I to share so my Abarth will have to suffice to get my kicks. I'll certainly reach out either way!
Chris
1988 Mono Rosso Red Merkur XR4Ti - Sold!