New Shorty Aluminum XR Radiators in Stock!

Special deals from our sponsoring vendors.

Moderators: John Brennan, DPDISXR4Ti

merkurdriver
Level 8

Re: New Shorty Aluminum XR Radiators in Stock!

Post by merkurdriver » Wed Dec 27, 2017 3:18 am

Its a large tube/fin radiator core. Looks like a bar/plate intercooler core from the outside, but not on the inside.

merkurdriver
Level 8

Post by merkurdriver » Wed May 16, 2018 2:27 am

FYI:
1985-1988 XR4Ti shorty aluminum radiators
1989 XR4Ti shorty aluminum radiators
1988-1989 Scorpio aluminum radiators
are all back in stock at www.merkurdepot.com

merkurdriver
Level 8

Post by merkurdriver » Wed Dec 12, 2018 3:30 pm

XR4Ti "shorty" aluminum radiators, large RADIATOR/INTERCOOLER combos, and small RADIATOR/INTERCOOLER combos are back in stock!
www.merkurdepot.com

merkurdriver
Level 8

Post by merkurdriver » Thu Nov 28, 2019 4:09 am

FYI:
A limited run of reverse shorty radiators may see production soon. These would have the "extra space" at the bottom instead of the top - allowing for intercooler installation below the rad instead of above.
In related news...currently working on the 3rd generation of our aluminum radiator.

John Brennan
Level 8

Post by John Brennan » Mon Dec 02, 2019 11:07 am

I did this to my '89 (custom one-off by Mike, before the current '89-spec rads were available, thank you very much) to put a Porsche 944T IC in the bottom by having the mounting tabs moved down, and it worked well. One cool thing is that your stock '89 hose with the vent is retained in the correct position for best venting functionality. I also had some small aluminum stock pieces welded to the top of the rad to re-create the stock upper mounting tabs, which fit into the holes for them in the slam panel (an improved mounting method, and another unsung advantage of the late-style cooling system). I had to shorten the stock lower hose a little bit as well, as simple as it sounds.

Ironically, I later fabbed up some lowering brackets to lower the rad even below the normal 4.5" of clearance to accommodate my installation of a Dodge Neon SRT4 IC on top, but that was just my own wild hair (I think it's the largest factory IC you can install over the shorty rad, and still keep A/C), and this is a good option for those of you with '89's wanting more IC than, say, a 2WD Cossie model.
This is my car, and these are my people!
1989 XR4Ti 5-Speed
2001 BMW Z3 3.0 5-Speed
2015 Fiesta ST 6-Speed
2015 Edge 3.5 V6 Auto/Paddles