New Shorty Aluminum XR Radiators in Stock!

Special deals from our sponsoring vendors.

Moderators: John Brennan, DPDISXR4Ti

Merkur Club web site
merkurdriver
Level 8

Re: New Shorty Aluminum XR Radiators in Stock!

Post by merkurdriver »

Its a large tube/fin radiator core. Looks like a bar/plate intercooler core from the outside, but not on the inside.
merkurdriver
Level 8

Post by merkurdriver »

FYI:
1985-1988 XR4Ti shorty aluminum radiators
1989 XR4Ti shorty aluminum radiators
1988-1989 Scorpio aluminum radiators
are all back in stock at www.merkurdepot.com
merkurdriver
Level 8

Post by merkurdriver »

XR4Ti "shorty" aluminum radiators, large RADIATOR/INTERCOOLER combos, and small RADIATOR/INTERCOOLER combos are back in stock!
www.merkurdepot.com
merkurdriver
Level 8

Post by merkurdriver »

FYI:
A limited run of reverse shorty radiators may see production soon. These would have the "extra space" at the bottom instead of the top - allowing for intercooler installation below the rad instead of above.
In related news...currently working on the 3rd generation of our aluminum radiator.
John Brennan
Level 8

Post by John Brennan »

I did this to my '89 (custom one-off by Mike, before the current '89-spec rads were available, thank you very much) to put a Porsche 944T IC in the bottom by having the mounting tabs moved down, and it worked well. One cool thing is that your stock '89 hose with the vent is retained in the correct position for best venting functionality. I also had some small aluminum stock pieces welded to the top of the rad to re-create the stock upper mounting tabs, which fit into the holes for them in the slam panel (an improved mounting method, and another unsung advantage of the late-style cooling system). I had to shorten the stock lower hose a little bit as well, as simple as it sounds.

Ironically, I later fabbed up some lowering brackets to lower the rad even below the normal 4.5" of clearance to accommodate my installation of a Dodge Neon SRT4 IC on top, but that was just my own wild hair (I think it's the largest factory IC you can install over the shorty rad, and still keep A/C), and this is a good option for those of you with '89's wanting more IC than, say, a 2WD Cossie model.
This is my car, and these are my people!
2015 Fiesta ST
2020 Edge 2.0 Ecoboost
thesameguy
Level 7
Level 7

Post by thesameguy »

merkurdriver wrote: Thu Nov 28, 2019 4:09 am FYI:
A limited run of reverse shorty radiators may see production soon. These would have the "extra space" at the bottom instead of the top - allowing for intercooler installation below the rad instead of above.
In related news...currently working on the 3rd generation of our aluminum radiator.
Have you considered making the bracketry separate from the end tanks so that they could be installed in different ways to accomplish different goals? A few weld nuts (maybe studs?) in strategic positions might allow someone to turn a "bottom space" into a "top space" radiator just by flipping the brackets upside down.
merkurdriver
Level 8

Post by merkurdriver »

Thats not a bad idea.
The primary configuration was to allow the factory Cosworth 2wd IC to bolt in (bonus if you want to have AC and IC)
OR the RS500 IC, since these were both "off the shelf IC" that bolted in to the XR4Ti.
The "bottom space" shorty idea is just something that's easily possible during production at no extra cost or complexity.
Its just welding the brackets in a different spot... those who have requested it may now have the opportunity for their wish to be granted.
thesameguy
Level 7
Level 7

Post by thesameguy »

I have a 0th gen radiator that I just keep modifying, but I'd really like to switch over to a newer core. Just going through all those adjustments gives me heartburn. :) I'm using modified RS500 IC as well - the inlet and outlet are changed to simplifying piping - and that meant adjusting the brackets on the radiator for a tiny bit of extra clearance. Anything I don't have to cut off and have re-welded would certainly be helpful... it's so dialed in right now, but the older core just doesn't offer the cooling I need to do mountain runs in the summer and it's bumming me out. :)
merkurdriver
Level 8

Post by merkurdriver »

We have a couple ultimate shorty radiators on hand right now www.merkurdepot.com
These use a 3" core that adds 33% more cooling capacity. This core is not only thicker, but is an extremely efficient design for high demand applications.
John Brennan
Level 8

Post by John Brennan »

Looks really nice, and thanks again for making these parts available to us. Quick question: does the extra thickness extend forward, to the rear, or does it split the difference when the radiator is mounted?
This is my car, and these are my people!
2015 Fiesta ST
2020 Edge 2.0 Ecoboost
thesameguy
Level 7
Level 7

Post by thesameguy »

Please say forwards! :)
thesameguy
Level 7
Level 7

Post by thesameguy »

… but from the photo, clearly rearwards.

These look really nice. I don't relish another round of mods, but maybe I will. Then what do I do with the old one? Boo.
merkurdriver
Level 8

Post by merkurdriver »

Yes, the extra inch goes towards the engine. This was for those running A/C components up front, or our large intercooler up front.
It couldn't extend forward more for the majority of applications, so it went rearward.
DPDISXR4Ti
Site Admin

Post by DPDISXR4Ti »

You guys asked the question I was about to ask, but then also saw the answer from the pics. I think even my moderately thin Saab 900 fan might not be skinny enough.
Brad
thesameguy
Level 7
Level 7

Post by thesameguy »

Isn't there a mountain of room in the engine bay? I feel like I have 4-5 inches between the radiator and crank pulley.