1989 Scorpio FREE Ontario, Canada

Scorpio cars and parts - Please state your asking price and item location. Preface wanted ads with "WTB" in the subject.

Moderators: John Brennan, DPDISXR4Ti

Merkur Club web site
RyanH
Level 1
Level 1

1989 Scorpio FREE Ontario, Canada

Post by RyanH »

Hi all. It's been a while, I hope everyone is doing well!

Unfortunately I've lost storage on my Crystal Blue/Raven '89 Scorpio. It was running beautifully until 3.5 years ago when it came down with a stumbling/hesitation issue that got progressively worse, until it refused to start. Could be fuel pump, or TFI, I honestly don't know. I tried throwing a few parts at it at the time, but it got pushed to the back burner and it's been sitting outside ever since. I also stole the steering rack and radiator from it to keep my other Scorpio on the road, so those parts are no good. I did put the bad rack out of the other Scorp in it so it can be steered while being pushed, but I wouldn't recommend it to be towed with the front wheels on the ground. The inner tie rods are quite sloppy. There's no upper rad hose, and it's had a rag stuffed in the thermostat outlet so the coolant passages in the block are probably rusty.

It's got a few rust spots bubbling up on the driver's side rear arch (which has evidence of prior bodywork and paint) and there have been mice living in it so the interior has a bit of a funk to it.

Positives: Good glass, lenses, bumpers, trim, dash, straight body. The interior was immaculate before it was parked, and even while it was sitting I'd clean up the leather and treat it with Lexol every once in a while so it didn't dry out. It has Euro Scorpio Ghia front seats that were mint, and still may be salvageable with a good cleaning.
It has some ebay electric oil pressure/coolant temp/volt gauges in a lexan plate replacing the factory amp. Head unit is an almost brand new, albeit old model, Pioneer CD/MP3 deck with remote.
All power options worked when parked. HVAC, windows, seats, sunroof, all gauges, every light bulb, etc. A/C didn't blow cold, although all the parts are there and intact.
Rear reflector panel is mint, and the license plate light lenses aren't melted.
Has 17" Catera Sport wheels on it, with a few scuffs.
Transmission shifted and operated perfectly before it was parked. I realize that may not be the case any more after sitting for so long.

Negatives: It's been sitting outside, it smells like mice, the gas is varnish, it has no rad/clutch fan, the inner tie rods are very sloppy, the rotors are rusted solid and the tires are very flat-spotted. Has only one key, although it isn't worn completely smooth. Both cats have been hollowed out.

I don't know what the underside looks like now, but the body is very presentable. The doors, hood and hatch aren't rusty at all. I'll get some pictures posted tomorrow when it's light out. I understand the cost of transporting it any kind of distance would far outweigh the value of the car/parts, but she was as sweet as a nut when she was on the road and I'd hate to just send it to the crusher. That's why I'm posting it here, in the hopes that someone somewhat local can come and save it.

Thanks for reading. My father and I have owned Merkurs since 1995 and it looks like the time has come to close a chapter in our lives. I still have an 85 solid roof XR and a very downtrodden solid roof/cloth interior Scorpio with LHD Euro headlights that are also available, but at a cost. They're parked in an underground lot and haven't been exposed to the elements.

I can be reached by at merkurman@gmail.com or 289-314-2048. Car is located in Oshawa, Ontario, about 35min east of Toronto. Must be gone by the end of the month.

Thanks,
Ryan.
my8950
Level 7
Level 7

Re: 1989 Scorpio FREE Ontario, Canada

Post by my8950 »

Photos available?
RyanH
Level 1
Level 1

Post by RyanH »

Sorry for neglecting this post for so long, just been terribly busy. I went around and grabbed some pictures of it, and in doing so I discovered that the car has deteriorated a little more than I remember. It does have rust creeping in the bottoms of the doors and in the rear arches. The rockers are also very rough.

The tail panel also isn't what I remember, and does have some melting/distortion around the license plate lamps.

On the pictures of the interior, the white bits you see everywhere are flakes of plastic and foil from the windshield visor/shield falling apart.

There are some neat period correct stickers on the back, and there's a very Radwood-ish period era Bosch car alarm sticker on the inside of the windshield.

It's certainly not a candidate for a quick turnaround in to road-worthy status but I just feel terrible for both letting it sit for so long and potentially having to dispose of it soon.

Which leads me to the next detail that I recalled wrong. After I posted this thread, I looked at my post history and it turns out that I posted a thread when it initially broke down on me, and that happened in December 2012. So this car has been sitting for over 6 years, not the 3.5 that I had initially stated.

Anyway, on to the pics:

DAReese
Level 7
Level 7

Post by DAReese »

PM sent.
David Reese

88 XR4Ti - mono white T5, someday to be bi wing
89 Scorpio - waiting on some parts before it hits the road again
88 XR4Ti - mono red C3, parts car
used to own 86 dark blue traded in on a min van, what was I thinking?
my8950
Level 7
Level 7

Post by my8950 »

agree, lots of good stuff here.
john keefe
Level 7
Level 7

Post by john keefe »

Wow... that interior looks in great shape. Surprised how much more plush the seats are than in the '88.
my8950
Level 7
Level 7

Post by my8950 »

I guess a concern would be getting it into the US if some were able to pick it up and bring it home.
ford.scorpio
Level 4
Level 4

Post by ford.scorpio »

Those are not 85-94 Scorpio seats; those are frog eye 95-98 Scorpio seats.....
A man meets another addict and says "oh yeah, I have a Merkur too!" and the other man says "no way!!!!! ............how many?"
RyanH
Level 1
Level 1

Post by RyanH »

Yes indeed, they're mk2 seats. To be honest, I prefer the mk1 seats as they offer more thigh and shoulder support, and the headrests have a wider range of adjustment.

The stay of execution has been temporarily suspended due to the insane amount of snow we've had, which has all been plowed around the car blocking it in. My boss still wants it off the yard though, and I remain incredibly busy (flying out today for a funeral, returning Wednesday) so it's difficult for me to remove any parts, which is all anyone is interested in.

If nobody can take the car whole, I'll do my best to take some of the more desirable parts off before I have to get rid of it.
ford.scorpio
Level 4
Level 4

Post by ford.scorpio »

Someone was asking earlier about bringing it back to U.S. ; with clean Canadian title you will have no issues.

Heck, the crazy Croat had this car alongside his propane powered XR4Ti in Gemany and then brought it back. Seat conversion was then performed just outside of Passau.....
A man meets another addict and says "oh yeah, I have a Merkur too!" and the other man says "no way!!!!! ............how many?"
RyanH
Level 1
Level 1

Post by RyanH »

Yeah, I feel terrible for letting the car get to this condition. I always scorned people who parked cars and let them rot, but life goes by quick and things get pushed aside.

I feel especially bad for my dad, as he loved this thing when we bought it, and he still thinks we're going to restore it and put it back on the road someday. It just isn't in the cards sadly.

Car has a clean title but the registration hasn't been kept current, so to register it on the road in Ontario it would need a safety inspection. Not sure what's all involved in transferring across the border.
RyanH
Level 1
Level 1

Post by RyanH »

Has anyone heard from Marc/Mario lately? Wouldn't mind at least letting him know what's up with the car.
my8950
Level 7
Level 7

Post by my8950 »

hmmm...I would be interested to do this, but I'm concerned about getting it A: to the border, and B: across the border.
I am just outside of Detroit.
RyanH
Level 1
Level 1

Post by RyanH »

I recommend looking up the process online. It's more than 30 years old, so there shouldn't be any restrictions as far as emissions/crash test standards/etc is concerned. The only issue is of course that it doesn't run, so if you're transporting it by carrier it would probably cost more. I wish I had access to a truck and trailer and could help out in that regard.
my8950
Level 7
Level 7

Post by my8950 »

I have a truck and trailer and could meet somewhere...But yeah, not sure about crossing, I'll see what I can find out.