1989 Scorpio FREE Ontario, Canada

Scorpio cars and parts - Please state your asking price and item location. Preface wanted ads with "WTB" in the subject.

Moderators: John Brennan, DPDISXR4Ti

Merkur Club web site
RyanH
Level 1
Level 1

Re: 1989 Scorpio FREE Ontario, Canada

Post by RyanH »

Thanks for at least considering it. I'd love for it (or parts of it) to live on. But keep in mind that this would be a labour of love as I think it's too rusty to reasonably restore to roadworthy status.

Kicking myself right now!
ford.scorpio
Level 4
Level 4

Post by ford.scorpio »

Go to your Canadian DMV and get export plates/docs there. Info gets verified at the border and you are good to go.
A man meets another addict and says "oh yeah, I have a Merkur too!" and the other man says "no way!!!!! ............how many?"
my8950
Level 7
Level 7

Post by my8950 »

RyanH wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 11:33 am Thanks for at least considering it. I'd love for it (or parts of it) to live on. But keep in mind that this would be a labour of love as I think it's too rusty to reasonably restore to roadworthy status.

Kicking myself right now!
I've been considering it since you posted, just not sure on the stuff I've mentioned.
I'll see if I can find anything out about doing it.
ford.scorpio
Level 4
Level 4

Post by ford.scorpio »

Interior alone is worth the trip.....
A man meets another addict and says "oh yeah, I have a Merkur too!" and the other man says "no way!!!!! ............how many?"
RyanH
Level 1
Level 1

Post by RyanH »

ford.scorpio wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 11:41 am Go to your Canadian DMV and get export plates/docs there. Info gets verified at the border and you are good to go.
I'll look in to this but I'm afraid that since it's been off the road for so long with no insurance on it, to get any kind of plates would mean a safety inspection and emission test. But I'll see what the deal is.
RyanH
Level 1
Level 1

Post by RyanH »

ford.scorpio wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 7:13 pm Interior alone is worth the trip.....
It does look gorgeous. I should point out that the vinyl on the top edge of the passenger front door pad is starting to peel away from the card but there isn't any damage to either. I'm fairly certain both map pockets have all their screw standoffs intact but I could be wrong. I do think the little retention stud/clip in the console lid that holds it closed is broken off though.

And of course the headliner material is sagging and stained, but you can make that out in the photos.
ford.scorpio
Level 4
Level 4

Post by ford.scorpio »

Too far for me & I am not allowed to bring another orphan in, lol

Merkuwise, I am trying to get to single digits by the end of the year; I have my work cut out for me.

So if anyone is looking for XR's or Scorpio's, I am on VA/NC border. (feel free to text 75seve-5three5-5581 for the quickest answer as I cannot always talk right away and my voice mail is full)
my8950
Level 7
Level 7

Post by my8950 »

So, I have pretty much zero knowledge of Scorpio's.
I'm wondering, are the seats interchangeable with the XR?

Are the Scorpio's for the Canadian market different than the US Market?
RyanH
Level 1
Level 1

Post by RyanH »

Canadian and US Scorpios were the same, and I've seen Scorpio seats installed in an XR, but I think the rails have to be modified somehow. These particular seats also sit higher than stock Scorpio seats so I think in an XR they'd cut down a bit on headroom.
my8950
Level 7
Level 7

Post by my8950 »

PM sent...
merkurdriver
Level 8

Post by merkurdriver »

Scorpio and XR seats interchange pretty easily. Just need to bolt the XR tracks to the Scorpio seats.
And those particular Scorpio seats...wow! :cheers