WTB - an XR4TI stick or automatic

XR4Ti cars and parts - Please state your asking price and item location. Preface wanted ads with "WTB" in the subject.

Moderators: John Brennan, Merkur

Merkur Club web site
tdiguardi

Wanted to Buy - a XR4TI stick or automatic

Post by tdiguardi »

Hello everyone,
I am trying to get back into the Merkur XR4TI scene after a long absence. I bought my son a black 1986 XR4TI automatic car in Pa when he was 16 years old and that was 18 years ago. We had a blast with that car except for the speeding tickets he got! 1 over 100 MPH. Huh! I wish I knew where his original car went?? Maybe someone in Pa still has it???

I am thinking of buying another one but I am chasing a very nice original one? any other there for sale? Open to other colors, stick or automatic.

But a black automatic is on the top of the list with grey leather interior. Let me know what you have. Tim
tdiguardi

WTB - an XR4TI stick or automatic

Post by tdiguardi »

Hello everyone,
I am looking for a Merkur XR4TI in an automatic or a stick. My preferred color combo is a black car with a grey leather interior but I will consider any.
A stock original preferred but I also like the Borla exhasut and cosworth body parts. Looking for a pretty nice car. Anyone have one for sale?? Tim
Last edited by tdiguardi on Mon Jun 24, 2019 9:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
ford.scorpio
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Wanted to Buy - a black XR4TI stick or automatic

Post by ford.scorpio »

Where are you located and what is your budget?
A man meets another addict and says "oh yeah, I have a Merkur too!" and the other man says "no way!!!!! ............how many?"
tdiguardi

Re: Wanted to Buy - a black XR4TI stick or automatic

Post by tdiguardi »

I am located between Reading and Lancaster, Pa. Pa Dutch country.
My budget?? Off the cuff I would say up to $5,000. I want to drive it and not just let it sit in the garage. Tim
Andy82GT
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Wanted to Buy - a XR4TI stick or automatic

Post by Andy82GT »

Hello Tim,
I have an 85 XR4Ti, AT, black with gray leather interior. Body excellent, paint small scratches. Driver seat leather cracked. A lot of upgrades and new parts, extra parts. Was going to do manual swap, but too many projects. Will sell for $4000. I can send pics and details. I'm in Virginia Beach.
82 Mustang GT, 408W install in prog
83 Ranger, 302, T5
85 XR4TI, need to do AT>T5 swap! Arrgh!
Andy82GT
Level 1
Level 1

Re: WTB - an XR4TI stick or automatic

Post by Andy82GT »

Hey Tim,
I have an 85 XR4Ti, AT, black with gray leather interior. Body excellent, paint small scratches. Driver seat leather cracked. A lot of upgrades and new parts, extra parts. Was going to do manual swap, but too many projects. Will sell for $4000. I can send pics and details. I'm in Virginia Beach.
82 Mustang GT, 408W install in prog
83 Ranger, 302, T5
85 XR4TI, need to do AT>T5 swap! Arrgh!
my8950
Level 7
Level 7

Post by my8950 »

Stick or Automatic, so basically looking for a black/grey XR4ti...
tdiguardi

Post by tdiguardi »

Yes, a black car with the grey leather is my favorite color combo?
Actually prefer automatic but the car cannot have issues.

Is it true 1989 models solved the cracked dashes? and cracked head issues? I heard that.

If you have a car for sale send me pics and your asking price to my e-mail address: tdiguardi@conestogawood.com Tim
my8950
Level 7
Level 7

Post by my8950 »

I don't really think these issues were ever solved, other than discontinuing the car.

I'd also say to think hard, if you say the car can't have issues, you're probably looking at the wrong car to own. They're 30 years old give or take, they had issues from the beginning and they wont go away. Either be a good mechanical person and fix things as they arise, or have a separate bank account and job to pay a mechanic to fix it for you.
tdiguardi

Post by tdiguardi »

Believe me I know all about that. We had 2 parts cars out back to supply electrical parts and then some.
I was just wondering if a 1989 was worth pursuing more than an older year. I guess not.
merkurdriver
Level 8

Post by merkurdriver »

With almost any car, the "issues" get fixed / revised as the model years go on. Electrically and mechanically the 85/86 cars are inferior to the updated 87 and newer cars. 88-89 cars are better in numerous aspects, except the fact they don't have a bi-plane spoiler!
(from the factory at least)
my8950
Level 7
Level 7

Post by my8950 »

eaton53
Level 6
Level 6

Post by eaton53 »

tdiguardi wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 11:12 amActually prefer automatic but the car cannot have issues.
my8950 wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 12:26 pmI'd also say to think hard, if you say the car can't have issues, you're probably looking at the wrong car to own.
It's possible for the car not to have issues (mine doesn't) but for $5K it's unlikely.
Mark Copeland - I'm 50 miles west of Kewanee, IL

'89 XR4Ti
Car was the 2014 MCA Merkur Preservation Award Winner
'89 Scorpio
This one has a very bright and shiny future.
Proud member of the Iowa-Illinois Merkur Owner's Association since 2015. :cheers
Bob Weir
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Bob Weir »

After you buy an XR, your can get aa FREE 1 yr membership

viewtopic.php?f=19&t=30034
merk23literturbo
Level 7
Level 7

Post by merk23literturbo »

Check my ad 88 Double black and it’s in Pa. I used to drive it to work every Monday from Philadelphia to Pittsburgh to open the store at 8 AM so it has no issues.
German engineer: We custom fit every part in the Porsche engine.
Japanese engineer: You mean that you make every part wrong to begin with?