RS Cosworth Suspension +++

XR4Ti cars and parts - Please state your asking price and item location. Preface wanted ads with "WTB" in the subject.

Moderators: John Brennan, Merkur

Merkur Club web site
john keefe
Level 7
Level 7

RS Cosworth Suspension +++

Post by john keefe »

OK, cleaning out the garage so I can convert it into an ADU (Additional Dwelling Unit)... I'll regain some new garage space later, but stuff has to go. I have these suspension pieces, but they fit the larger RS 3-Door and RS Sapphire 2-Door front hubs, and Scorpio hubs. Diameter of struts clamping base is 46mm.

I'm OK with reasonable offers, except for the AR bar. Shipping NOT included.

My hubs are from a 2WD Sapphire. I don't recall if those are overall shorter or taller than the stock XR4Ti hubs, and so whether the overall strut length is shorter than stock. But, with the springs, my XR with the 2.3L sat very nice, lowered about 1.25", no excess camber, etc.

The LEDA's are Group N race struts, with 24 settings. Some dirt and grime in the photos, but they probably have less than 800 miles on them. I swapped them out for the blue coilovers when I installed the 5.0L several years ago. These were very expensive to import back when. IIRC, those are BAT lowering springs (1 - 1.25"), not Koni's; I just painted them red at some point.

I was saving them for another XR project, which didn't happen. I thought about using these in the Scorpio, but seemed a waste at the time as I wasn't sure I was going to keep the Scorpio long term. I went with KYB's for an XR and the hub sleeve insert. The KYB's didn't lower the front very much, so these LEDA's would probably drop a front another 3/4-1", and look good. If I had the time, I'd swap these in, but I don't... If you don't want the springs, I'll knock a little off, but I really don't have time to do the whole compression thing to disassemble.

The coilovers are AVO's, which I got from Nigel who brought them over from the UK. The fronts are top-adjustable (might be hard to see in the pics). No leaks and they all still have some life left in them. Don't recall what the spring rating is, but I ran them on the car with the 5.0L until I splurged for new GAZ race coilovers from Graham Goode last year. They worked very well with the weight of the 5.0L, and there's adjustment left to match to a 2.3L. They just don't look pretty. Rears have PU bushings top and bottom. Sorry, I've been looking for the adjustable spring perches for the rears, but haven't found yet.

After several questions regarding the rear spring seats (still not able to find them), I just mic'd them, and the front/rear threads are exactly the same diameter, and the threads look to be exactly the same. So, I think a decent machine shop could knock off some CNC copies of the front spring seats for not a whole lot.

The cluster is a 170mph from probably a 2WD Sapphire (thanks nzwinrz). No boost gauge, but you could easily swap the speedo into your gauge cluster; don't know that the T5 speedo gear/color would be. Clear plastic lens/cover has a few scratches

The AR bar is a Cossie 29mm, with good PU bushings all around. I cleaned them up and painted. I'm really undecided on selling this. I have a full compression strut with adjustable TCA's which is really precise and solid, but a bit harsh/loud for everyday driving. The AR bar did well enough in Group N racing, and is a much more civilized way to go, but not as unique. So, firm on the price.

The headlights are RHD. Both glass lenses are new/near-perfect used. The housings are used (not by me), and in great shape, with one issue: the (US) driver's side high-beam needs a careful cleaning to bring back the silver shine (do NOT polish). It's also missing one of the brackets, but that should be easy to copy from the other light, or maybe find on eBay UK. RHD vs. LHD lenses... just align the low-beam patterns as you would with the LH, then dip the driver's side down and in a bit (for on-coming drivers). Or, you can put a triangular strip of Mylar on the lens (inside or outside of the lense) to mirror the dipped pattern on the passenger-side lens. Works fine in low-beam; never had anybody flashing their lights at me.

Set of NEW turbo flange bolts and nuts.

3 Aircraft Hose clamps, 2.5" for intercooler hoses (definitely prevents any hose blow-off under boost)

MOMO Corse Model 78 steering wheel, black suede. This is a really nice wheel to grip; suede with leather gloves = no-slip, great for a road course. You can't (shouldn't) treat the suede, so over time the shrinking of the leather will show (see pic). They all do this. Doesn't affect the wheel or feel. The factory glue is really good, so nothing is peeling.

Pair of David Godfrey PU compression strut rod ends, with brackets. Would be quite a bit quieter than the full-on rose joints used in the UK compression strut setups. I'm sure these fit a larger diameter strut that David made, but these are too large for the UK compression strut kits. The threaded portion has on outside diameter (thread peak) @ 3/4" (19mm), and the UK versions are about 5/8" (16mm), so there's meat for a machinist to turn them down, and cut new threads. Or, you could have the UK coupling drilled and tapped to fit the rod ends.

Still have the TBird rear calipers and brackets (see previous for sale post)

Shipping NOT included

LEDA's = $375 incl. springs OBO
AVO's = $175 incl. springs (for all 4, as shown) SOLD
170mph RS Cluster = SOLD
29mm AR Bar = $175 firm SOLD
Headlights = $275 for the pair OBO
Turbo Bolts = $15
Hose Clamps = $5 ea., or all 3 for $12
MOMO Corse steering wheel = SOLD
Strut ends = SOLD

Pics to follow
Last edited by john keefe on Fri Oct 09, 2020 2:14 am, edited 14 times in total.
john keefe
Level 7
Level 7

Re: RS Cosworth Suspension +++

Post by john keefe »

LEDA Struts, w/ lowering springs
LEDA Struts, w/ lowering springs
100_2862.JPG (1.01 MiB) Viewed 7509 times
AVO Coilovers
AVO Coilovers
100_2866.JPG (1.18 MiB) Viewed 7509 times
29mm RS AR bar
29mm RS AR bar
100_2860.JPG (922.11 KiB) Viewed 7509 times
john keefe
Level 7
Level 7

Post by john keefe »

Headlights (RHD)
Headlights (RHD)
100_2874.JPG (559.65 KiB) Viewed 7509 times
170mph Cluster
170mph Cluster
100_2873.JPG (824.3 KiB) Viewed 7509 times
Attachments
Clamps
Clamps
100_2880.JPG (301.23 KiB) Viewed 7509 times
john keefe
Level 7
Level 7

Post by john keefe »

Turbo Flange Bolts
Turbo Flange Bolts
100_2868.JPG (181.07 KiB) Viewed 7508 times
PU Compression Strut ends
PU Compression Strut ends
100_2882.JPG (297.45 KiB) Viewed 7508 times
Let me know if you need more pics.
ndgeek

Post by ndgeek »

Where are you located?
1988 XR4Ti, black on black, "Frank"
1988 XR4Ti, "rally car" with Cossie body bits, Koni yellows, 28/16mm anti-sway bars, Rapido springs, T5, Eaton LSD.
1987.5 XR4Ti, mono white, grey leather, T9, K2-edition tribute
1987.5 XR4Ti, mono white, grey cloth, T9 (sold, now in MI)
john keefe
Level 7
Level 7

Post by john keefe »

Campbell, CA (near Santa Clara/San Jose). 95008
nzwinrz
Level 5
Level 5

Post by nzwinrz »

From most all publications about the RS500, they all had a boost gauge with the tach..same as XR4ti...you don't in yours. It probably is a Sapphire Cosworth, those didn't have the tach.
john keefe
Level 7
Level 7

Post by john keefe »

Momo Corse wheel
Momo Corse wheel
100_2887.JPG (1.12 MiB) Viewed 7462 times
Separation of Suede
Separation of Suede
100_2888.JPG (461.95 KiB) Viewed 7462 times
john keefe
Level 7
Level 7

Post by john keefe »

nzwinrz... Ahh, crap. Never noticed. Got that as part of a larger shipment from UK, and it's been stored since. You're right. They deleted that on the Sapphires to make them appear more "civilized" than road demon. Thought they were all 150mph speedo's, so when I saw 170mph out of the box, just assumed it was what I thought I was buying. Guess I got the short end of the UK deal. So, changing it to "make a reasonable offer."
my8950
Level 7
Level 7

Post by my8950 »

good prices!
MerkurV8DOHC

Post by MerkurV8DOHC »

PM sent
uroford

Post by uroford »

Pm sent on avo
john keefe
Level 7
Level 7

Post by john keefe »

Thanks my8950. We aim to please, and be the lowest priced dealers in town. See us on Diamond Certified. :D Now, just got a few decades of construction materials and tools to find new homes for...
john keefe
Level 7
Level 7

Post by john keefe »

Uroford, OK. Thanks, I'll get back to your PM a little later tonight.
merkurdriver
Level 8

Post by merkurdriver »

PM sent on RHD sapphire cluster