Camshaft bearings

Scorpio / Scorpio Cosworth Discussions - Questions, problem resolution, general talk, technical tips and modifications.
Merkur Club web site
Vovan

Camshaft bearings

Post by Vovan »

Help me. What is the correct part number for a standard camshaft bearing. I bought SH1390S, but they are kind of small. The camshaft is very hard to turn.
my8950
Level 7
Level 7

Re: Camshaft bearings

Post by my8950 »

Should it be easy to turn? How tight is tight, seems like it could be subjective??? Is this with oil, or are you turning it dry?
brokencase
Level 7
Level 7

Post by brokencase »

4C1002BS
Federal Mogul 1793M

Same for 2.8L & 2.9L
Specialization is for Insects
Vovan

Post by Vovan »

my8950 wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2023 7:50 pm Should it be easy to turn? How tight is tight, seems like it could be subjective??? Is this with oil, or are you turning it dry?
I think the camshaft should turn easily enough
Vovan

Post by Vovan »

brokencase wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2023 3:06 am 4C1002BS
Federal Mogul 1793M

Same for 2.8L & 2.9L
I bought these:Engine Camshaft Bearing Set Sealed Power 1838M Standard 1983-92 FORD MERKUR V6
brokencase
Level 7
Level 7

Post by brokencase »

Vovan, Is it possible you deformed bearing during installation?
The order in which the bearings are installed is important.
You can confirm this by taking the micrometer and measuring each bearing journal on the cam.

I typically do not replace cam bearings on a casual engine rebuild unless they require replacement.

Very often the new cam bearings need to be align reamed (or aligned honed). But I am not sure that is the case with the 2.9L
Vovan

Post by Vovan »

brokencase wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 11:30 pm Vovan, Is it possible you deformed bearing during installation?
The order in which the bearings are installed is important.
You can confirm this by taking the micrometer and measuring each bearing journal on the cam.

I typically do not replace cam bearings on a casual engine rebuild unless they require replacement.

Very often the new cam bearings need to be align reamed (or aligned honed). But I am not sure that is the case with the 2.9L
I did deform one bearing a little. And I also turned the camshaft without oil. Today I lubricated the camshaft with oil and it began to rotate quite easily. Thanks everyone for the advice. I will install new bearings and probably the problem will be solved.
brokencase
Level 7
Level 7

Post by brokencase »

Vovan, make sure you use "engine assembly lube" on all bearings while rebuilding the engine.

Also, make an attachment for drill so that you can remove distributor and drive oil pump with drill to build up oil pressure before starting engine for the first time. You will have to determine rotation direction to do this.

Put a little grease or vaseline in oil pump so it will prime easily.

Also there is an upgraded high volume oil pump available. I believe Mellings M328. However you might have to modify oil pickup to use it. I think Mellings also sells oil pickup to go with M328 but it is for the 4.0L so you might have to adjust it to clear oil pan correctly on 2.9L.
my8950
Level 7
Level 7

Post by my8950 »

I personally would not use the high volume oil pump.
I've read from a number of people complaining, they can load the shaft heavy and end up breaking it.
Also that they move too much oil and possibly suck the sump dry for quick second.
I'm not sure on these, but have seen issues posted by people using them.
Vovan

Post by Vovan »

brokencase wrote: Tue May 23, 2023 6:21 pm Vovan, make sure you use "engine assembly lube" on all bearings while rebuilding the engine.

Also, make an attachment for drill so that you can remove distributor and drive oil pump with drill to build up oil pressure before starting engine for the first time. You will have to determine rotation direction to do this.

Put a little grease or vaseline in oil pump so it will prime easily.

Also there is an upgraded high volume oil pump available. I believe Mellings M328. However you might have to modify oil pickup to use it. I think Mellings also sells oil pickup to go with M328 but it is for the 4.0L so you might have to adjust it to clear oil pan correctly on 2.9L.
I bought a new Ford oil pump, just like the one I had, and I also bought a new Melling camshaft. I didn't experience any oil pressure issues, it was just time for an engine overhaul.
brokencase
Level 7
Level 7

Post by brokencase »

my8950 wrote: Tue May 23, 2023 7:45 pm I personally would not use the high volume oil pump.
I've read from a number of people complaining, they can load the shaft heavy and end up breaking it.
Also that they move too much oil and possibly suck the sump dry for quick second.
Is that a statement for "hi volume" oil pumps in general, or is it specific to the Cologne V6?

The reason I ask is that the OHV 2.9L and 4.0L are notorious for lack of top end lubrication.
It is my understanding that the Mellings pump is offered as a problem solver to address this situation.
I find it hard to believe they would offer something that would break things.
In any case, Not super critical about the oil pump I just thought I would mention it.

Vovan...

Sounds like you are finished the rebuild but you may find these .pdf's useful...

http://www.mediafire.com/?ujyey93f1tpyf

https://www.mediafire.com/file/8vmuaeqo ... 4.pdf/file

The second one is OHV 4.0L specific. But interesting.
my8950
Level 7
Level 7

Post by my8950 »

brokencase wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 10:40 am
my8950 wrote: Tue May 23, 2023 7:45 pm I personally would not use the high volume oil pump.
Is that a statement for "hi volume" oil pumps in general, or is it specific to the Cologne V6?

The reason I ask is that the OHV 2.9L and 4.0L are notorious for lack of top end lubrication.
It is my understanding that the Mellings pump is offered as a problem solver to address this situation.
In any case, Not super critical about the oil pump I just thought I would mention it.
Yes/No
Regarding oil pump, I am talking the 2.3, so obviously different than the Scorpio configuration.
However, I have also heard similar with the 5.0, and a few others, not strictly Ford engine.
Just putting it out there...
As Ed says, YMMV...
Vovan

Post by Vovan »

brokencase wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 10:40 am

Vovan...

Sounds like you are finished the rebuild but you may find these .pdf's useful...

http://www.mediafire.com/?ujyey93f1tpyf

https://www.mediafire.com/file/8vmuaeqo ... 4.pdf/file

The second one is OHV 4.0L specific. But interesting.
Thank you