Rear Wheel Well Liner alternative

Scorpio / Scorpio Cosworth Discussions - Questions, problem resolution, general talk, technical tips and modifications.
Merkur Club web site
DPDISXR4Ti
Site Admin

Rear Wheel Well Liner alternative

Post by DPDISXR4Ti »

Several options from modern cars (Focus, Mustang, etc) have been used in the XR world, but has anyone fitted an alternative liner for the rear wheel wells of the Scorpio? Mine are crumbly and I just don't see them going back in.

On a related note, the Scorpio is more prone to rust than the XR in the forward area of the rear wheel well. I seem to recall there's been some discussion about the root cause of this and the best preventative action to take.
Brad
Ed Lijewski
Level 8

Re: Rear Wheel Well Liner alternative

Post by Ed Lijewski »

I removed all four wheel well liners from my parts Scorpio thinking to install the rears on on the rear of an XR. I quickly gave up on that idea as the Scorp liners were heavy, very floppy and a pain to hold in place to begin installing (Mustang/ Focus liners are light, molded and hold shape on first step to mount and then attach at other points and then trim to fit). I gave the car with liners in the trunk to Jan Talian...he likely still has the liners. Those liners were intact, in like new physical condition (not a whit of crumblyness even hinted at).

In removing the rear liners (above) I could clearly see that the liners themselves did not allow for self-cleaning of crud and snow/salt/chemicals at that commonly seen rusting point. In installing either Scorpio liners or aftermarket ones, just trim enough of the liner along that fender edge so drainage and self-cleaning can occur. I'm sure tge solution is that simple (to correct a design oversight/error)

YMMV
Descartes: "Cogito Ergo Sum"
Lijewski: "Sum Ergo Drive-O. Mucho!
DPDISXR4Ti
Site Admin

Post by DPDISXR4Ti »

So have you installed Focus or Mustang rear liners in a Scorpio?

I'm also more of the school of thought that you can't ever fully block the bad stuff from getting in, so you're better off keeping it open and cleaning as often as possible. The strategy has worked on my F150 which are notorious for real wheel well rusting. I cut out the little bit of rusted area at the top of the wheel well and left the channel open. Now every time I power-wash the truck, I shoot my power washer in there. Admittedly it looks like hell, but it's a beater truck.
Brad
Ed Lijewski
Level 8

Post by Ed Lijewski »

No. None needed on my Chestnut Brown Scorpio.

The OEM liners I removed above were impressively intact and flexible and had easily another 100+K or miles in them. You couldn't go wrong or do better than mounting them if Jan still has them.

YMMV
Descartes: "Cogito Ergo Sum"
Lijewski: "Sum Ergo Drive-O. Mucho!
blugg
Level 7
Level 7

Post by blugg »

Perhaps the very early Scorpios had a different rear liner material. I’ve never seen front or rear sxorpio liners prematurely fail or crumble.
Jeff
DPDISXR4Ti
Site Admin

Post by DPDISXR4Ti »

blugg wrote: Mon Jul 16, 2018 4:25 pm Perhaps the very early Scorpios had a different rear liner material. I’ve never seen front or rear sxorpio liners prematurely fail or crumble.
Interesting thought and quite possibly correct. I'll have an opportunity to get a set from a '89. That's certainly the best bet from a fitment standpoint.
Brad
DPDISXR4Ti
Site Admin

Post by DPDISXR4Ti »

Installed rear Focus liners yesterday. Not my finest effort, and it's not a great solution, but it will suffice for now. Although the Focus liners are easy to cut and force into shape, I really don't like the material and the way it holds so much dirt. I think this will be a temporary solution.
Brad
morlynon

Post by morlynon »

Any pics? I'm curious how they look.
DPDISXR4Ti
Site Admin

Post by DPDISXR4Ti »

morlynon wrote: Thu Nov 29, 2018 3:00 am Any pics? I'm curious how they look.
I didn't bother to take any pics. Next time I've got a rear wheel off I'll try to remember to have the camera handy.

As for the quality of the stock liners, I'm inclined to agree with Jeff's theory that the '87 cars got crap liners. My '89 parts car and the '89 I pulled rear liners from were both in very good shape, showing no signs of crumbling.
Brad