Manual HVAC Control Conversion

Scorpio / Scorpio Cosworth Discussions - Questions, problem resolution, general talk, technical tips and modifications.
Merkur Club web site
Merkurfast
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Manual HVAC Control Conversion

Post by Merkurfast »

One of the thing I hate about this automatic climate control is that it seems to have a mind of its own. I set it on high but sometimes it seems a little slower. Being in Arizona, I want the AC to pump out as much volume as possible. Do you think a manual system, I could get more airflow. It seems on my XR I do.
DPDISXR4Ti
Site Admin

Post by DPDISXR4Ti »

Merkurfast wrote: Tue Aug 07, 2018 9:01 pm Being in Arizona, I want the AC to pump out as much volume as possible. Do you think a manual system, I could get more airflow.
I wouldn't think so. The fan at full power should turn the same RPM's regardless of the control. But I haven't really had much hands-on time with the Scorpio to fully understand what it does with fan speed control.
Brad
Ed Lijewski
Level 8

Post by Ed Lijewski »

I've observed the same. The different locations of the vents via-a-vis the air box may play a role.

YMMV
Descartes: "Cogito Ergo Sum"
Lijewski: "Sum Ergo Drive-O. Mucho!
Merkurfast
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Merkurfast »

I wonder if putting in a slightly bigger blower motor, maybe out of a BMW, is possible. Wonder if it would make much of a difference.
Ed Lijewski
Level 8

Post by Ed Lijewski »

If the vent door flaps are even slightly off horizontal air flow through one or more will be reduced. Check them first.

YMMV
Merkurfast
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Merkurfast »

Ill check them Ed. But what do hou think of my idea?
Ed Lijewski
Level 8

Post by Ed Lijewski »

Do the BMW ones verifiably push more air using the same squirrel cages, would the blower control module handle it, would the EATC be unaffected?

Don't know. I"d make sure the defrost/center vent/floor door is fully opening/closing on EATC command, that the air hoses to those are connected snugly (tape the connections if air escapes from them), and that the vent doors stop/stay in perfect horizontal position when commanded to do so before trying a different motor.

YMMV
DPDISXR4Ti
Site Admin

Post by DPDISXR4Ti »

Ed Lijewski wrote: Sat Aug 11, 2018 6:50 am Do the BMW ones verifiably push more air using the same squirrel cages?
I've never read anything that indicates they move more air. Regardless, it's unrelated to the topic, converting to the manual HVAC controls as found on the Euro cars.
Brad
Merkurfast
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Merkurfast »

Well how its related is installing manual HVAC controls would give you control over fan speed. My Scorp, even though i changed the resistor module, fan speed is sometime high. When i manually select high sometimes it doesnt put out the same volume if air consistantly. Im going to check the areas Eds suggested. Im consider manyally controls as i dont car for the EATC.
DPDISXR4Ti
Site Admin

Post by DPDISXR4Ti »

Just to bump this thread, I have acquired the manual slider controls and fan switch (w/ connector pigtail), from a Euro car. I have a spare manual control box from a XR that should be plug-n-play in a Scorpio.

The plan is to continue to have fully functional A/C in addition to heat. I may mock it up in the parts car first - that would be the smart thing to do I think.

That's the extent of my "progress" so far.
Brad
Ed Lijewski
Level 8

Post by Ed Lijewski »

DPDISXR4Ti wrote: Fri Dec 13, 2019 4:01 pm
The plan is to continue to have fully functional A/C in addition to heat.
I think Dimitri asked you about that re eliminating the HCV rather than eliminating the EATC in favor of swapping in slider controls.

YMMV
brokencase
Level 7
Level 7

Post by brokencase »

If you guys got spare EATCs that you don't want I'd be happy to take them.
Specialization is for Insects