Alternate Alternator Upgrade - Nissan/Infiniti

Scorpio / Scorpio Cosworth Discussions - Questions, problem resolution, general talk, technical tips and modifications.
Merkur Club web site
DPDISXR4Ti
Site Admin

Re: Alternate Alternator Upgrade - Nissan/Infiniti

Post by DPDISXR4Ti »

Ed Lijewski wrote: Tue Dec 20, 2022 6:06 pm Are you reading V via the cigarette lighter?
Yep. I've found that to be a couple tenths less than measured at the battery, but close enough.
Brad
brokencase
Level 7
Level 7

Post by brokencase »

DPDISXR4Ti wrote: Tue Dec 20, 2022 3:49 pm
Just one weird thing happened though.... When I got home the other day I left the car outside to unload a few things. After unloading - 10 minutes later - I started it up to pull into the garage. The battery light was on full bright, but yet voltage indicated ~13.8 as it should. I blipped the throttle a couple times and pulled into the garage with no change in the battery light. I've since driven the car with a couple stops and my wife has it out right now - totally normal operation.

Do I just pretend it didn't happen? So far that strategy is working. :mrgreen:
Maybe the light burned out?
Not sure with your arrangement, but does the light still come on when you turn the key on and then goes out after you start the car?

Reminds me of when I did my first test drive with the Titan alternator. I could have sworn I saw a puff of smoke come out from the front of the car while I was sitting behind a car at a stop light. I pulled over, popped the hood and did not see anything. Voltage was still good according to the cig lighter meter. I'm not pretending it did not happen, I'm thinking it was an exhaust puff from the car ahead of me.

We are always hyper sensitive on a test drive after changing things.

Titan alternator is still working fine, BTW.
Specialization is for Insects
DPDISXR4Ti
Site Admin

Post by DPDISXR4Ti »

brokencase wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 12:43 pm Maybe the light burned out?
Not sure with your arrangement, but does the light still come on when you turn the key on and then goes out after you start the car?
How could the light be lit if it was burnt out!? :mrgreen:

My setup works exactly as original from the light perspective. The only thing different from original is that I can open my gas filler and hatch while going down the highway.

The car has been driven 200 miles over the last two days. Totally operated fine. :dunno
Brad
brokencase
Level 7
Level 7

Post by brokencase »

DPDISXR4Ti wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 10:33 pm How could the light be lit if it was burnt out!? :mrgreen:
I meant that it blew out after the time that it mysteriously turned on and then went out.
That is why I asked does the light come on when you just turn the key on but not start.
Specialization is for Insects
DPDISXR4Ti
Site Admin

Post by DPDISXR4Ti »

brokencase wrote: Thu Dec 22, 2022 5:08 pm
DPDISXR4Ti wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 10:33 pm How could the light be lit if it was burnt out!? :mrgreen:
I meant that it blew out after the time that it mysteriously turned on and then went out.
That is why I asked does the light come on when you just turn the key on but not start.
Ah, I see. The bulb still works fine. It comes on when I first move the key to the Acc position. I drove the car today for 20 miles and it worked fine; roughly 13.8V when running and 13.6V with the lights and heat on. With the original Bosch I would have been in the mid-12's with headlights and heat on.
Brad