Re-upholstering the center console lid...

Scorpio / Scorpio Cosworth Discussions - Questions, problem resolution, general talk, technical tips and modifications.
Merkur Club web site
brokencase
Level 7
Level 7

Re-upholstering the center console lid...

Post by brokencase »

As part of my lumbar project here: viewtopic.php?f=29&t=36128 I was fiddling around with my center console and started to get irritated by the dried cracked leather on the console lid/arm rest. So...off it came..

I had mentioned previously I had a small stash of raven leather that I pulled from a junkyard car years ago. So I used the leather from the junkyard rear arm rest for this job.

Dismantling the arm rest is a bit of a pain, Bunch of screws to remove. But the hard part was the plastic lid latch stud. It would not come off easy. I pried it off with a screwdriver and it broke so I ended up using some JB Weld to put it back on. Also be careful when you peel the leather away that you don't tear the leather or rip up the foam pad underneath. Use a razor blade to separate the two. The glue is only around the edge.

Once you get the leather off, mark the leather on the back side so you know which side is front, left, right, on the pieces. You then separate the sewn pieces using a seam riper or a razor blade.

Now you trace these pieces on the new leather. When you trace them, make sure you add and extra 1/4" extra width along the sewn edges. You will need this to hold the seam together with staples later on. But still draw the line where the old sewing was so you can follow with the new sew line. After you sewn the pieces together you then cut the stapled section off.

BTW, Scorpio leather is thin. It is almost like glove leather, I had no problems sewing it on a normal sewing machine outfitted with some strong upholstery thread.

After you have everything sewed together you trim off that extra 1/4" section with the staples and make a minimal seam. You can now place the completed leather cover back over the pad and get everything centered. You them spray trim/contact cement on both the leather and on the steel plate and start pulling the edges in. I used 3m trim spray from autozone and I did not like it. I used to have this "777" stuff that worked better..it was "more tackyer".

In the end everything came out OK, but I wish the adhesive was better so I could have pulled the leather tighter. It came out well enough though.

Pictures follow...
1.jpg
1.jpg (689.38 KiB) Viewed 5182 times
Here you can see that the foam has slots to accommodate the inside seams of the leather.
2.jpg
2.jpg (571.82 KiB) Viewed 5182 times
Last edited by brokencase on Fri Jul 10, 2020 11:49 am, edited 9 times in total.
Specialization is for Insects
brokencase
Level 7
Level 7

Re: Re-upholstering the center console lid...

Post by brokencase »

Here you can see how with the extra material along the seam you can first staple the leather together so as to hold it together nicely so that it can be easily sewn together. You then cut the extra off after the sewing is completed.
3.jpg
3.jpg (666.17 KiB) Viewed 5181 times
4.jpg
4.jpg (698.35 KiB) Viewed 5181 times
5.jpg
5.jpg (657.36 KiB) Viewed 5181 times
brokencase
Level 7
Level 7

Post by brokencase »

Now putting it all back together...Yes there are some existing wrinkles but we will pull these out...
6.jpg
6.jpg (547.41 KiB) Viewed 5180 times
7.jpg
7.jpg (656.43 KiB) Viewed 5180 times
Not too bad...
8.jpg
8.jpg (603.87 KiB) Viewed 5180 times
PeterP11c
Level 2
Level 2

Post by PeterP11c »

Nice job. Mine is also looking for new leather. And I need new front seats too. Yours look quite fresh. Did you have them re-upholstered?
brokencase
Level 7
Level 7

Post by brokencase »

No, these seats are original. FWIW, the car was from Portland Oregon. I think that had something to do with the preservation of the leather and maybe it was garage kept as well. But I have seen better leather in other Scorpios besides mine. Original Scorpio leather was soft and supple. Mine has hardened up a bit with age.
PeterP11c
Level 2
Level 2

Post by PeterP11c »

Original seats? Wow, I am impressed. Mine are all cracked up in the front. The rear seating is hard, but no major wear. My climate is not that bad for California as I am close to the ocean. The car is kept in the parking structure and away from the sun, but the front passenger seat still cracked even worse than driver's. Professional job is quite expensive and eventually I will have to do it.
DAReese
Level 7
Level 7

Post by DAReese »

PeterP11c wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 10:39 pm Original seats? Wow, I am impressed. Mine are all cracked up in the front. The rear seating is hard, but no major wear. My climate is not that bad for California as I am close to the ocean. The car is kept in the parking structure and away from the sun, but the front passenger seat still cracked even worse than driver's. Professional job is quite expensive and eventually I will have to do it.
Mine are "surface of the sun" cracked and brittle. I replaced the backs and bolsters with a junkyard find. I got far better ones from Blugg for the fronts.
David Reese

88 XR4Ti - mono white T5, someday to be bi wing
89 Scorpio - waiting on some parts before it hits the road again
88 XR4Ti - mono red C3, parts car
used to own 86 dark blue traded in on a min van, what was I thinking?
brokencase
Level 7
Level 7

Post by brokencase »

Yep, this leather I put on the console feels like brand new. Soft and supple.

Back around 2010 there was a Scorpio for sale in New Jersey. It was silver with a small amount of the paint peeling on the roof.
It had aftermarket Borbet wheels but the seller had the original wheels as well.
I was going to buy it but it had some other issues. The paint was one thing, but the seller mentioned that the steering wheel ignition lock was not safe..in other words the steering wheel could potentially lock up on you while you were driving.

But the interior and leather was MINT. It smelled like a brand new car. It looked like nobody ever drove it. I can't remember the mileage, but i think it was in the 50K range.

The lady wanted $800 for it. In hindsight I should have bought that car.
Ed Lijewski
Level 8

Post by Ed Lijewski »

The interior with leather seats was irresistible. And still is.

YMMV
Attachments
20190225_133417_copy_2448x1377.jpg
20190225_133417_copy_2448x1377.jpg (343.02 KiB) Viewed 5015 times
Descartes: "Cogito Ergo Sum"
Lijewski: "Sum Ergo Drive-O. Mucho!
PeterP11c
Level 2
Level 2

Post by PeterP11c »

I am feeling sad looking at my cracked front seats, but don't have the time now for a new project. It is on my agenda though, time permitting, I will get new ones. Just completed the heater core project and feel a little worn down.
brokencase
Level 7
Level 7

Post by brokencase »

Maybe an easier, but non stock, approach.. Adapt some used Mercedes seats...Like these...
https://www.ebay.com/itm/2005-W211-MERC ... SwqUld592c

Hardest part would be adapting the mounting points.

Some may say, "Sacrilegious", but if your leather is shot...
PeterP11c
Level 2
Level 2

Post by PeterP11c »

I know, I know. 'Mea culpa" but seats are neither cheap, neither quick to replace. Need to match leather color and texture. Not every shop is geared towards high quality upholstering work. Will get it done, for sure, but not now. Meanwhile working on replacing entire front lamp section. Left side is done, right one comes next week. New lamps make a whole new look. Stood for a while and admired the results. "Typical" Scorpio owner :lol: .
Ed Lijewski
Level 8

Post by Ed Lijewski »

More fine Scorpio leather:
P1010464.jpg
P1010464.jpg (77.88 KiB) Viewed 4959 times
YMMV
Descartes: "Cogito Ergo Sum"
Lijewski: "Sum Ergo Drive-O. Mucho!
Bob Weir
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Bob Weir »

Ed

One of, if not the best Merkur interior in existence!
brokencase
Level 7
Level 7

Post by brokencase »

Looks good..but I like Raven better...