Check out this immaculate Scorpio for auction

Scorpio / Scorpio Cosworth Discussions - Questions, problem resolution, general talk, technical tips and modifications.
Merkur Club web site
john keefe
Level 7
Level 7

Re: Check out this immaculate Scorpio for auction

Post by john keefe »

eaton, you should try this: https://www.aqua-rex.com/

We have hard water here too. I've put this in my house, and quite a few homes I've worked on around here. Very simple, works great. Doesn't make the water that annoying "soft" salt-filtrated kind which never seems to wash soap off you. Maybe $200-250 these days, retail, but worth it.

Found out about this from my plumbing supply house. They had sold over 400 of these to the SF 49ers when they were building Levi stadium because of concerns with the hard water. I decided to try it when I remodeled our Master Bathroom, and didn't want to see the fixtures et al look like crap after a couple years. After 4 years, it's completely eliminated the staining and scale throughout the house, the fixtures and drain rings aren't corroded and still look good, porcelain and enamel isn't stained, and the shower heads aren't clogged and don't need a day soaking in CLR trying to dissolve the scum. Best $200 investment I've made in my house.
eaton53
Level 6
Level 6

Post by eaton53 »

I have a water softener that does a very good job, just not quite good enough to leave a car spotless.
So I run to the car wash and give it a quick no-spot rinse with a manual sprayer.

My show car doesn't get very dirty. Most of the time I'm Quik Detailing it instead of washing it.
Mark Copeland - I'm 50 miles west of Kewanee, IL

'89 XR4Ti
Car was the 2014 MCA Merkur Preservation Award Winner
'89 Scorpio
This one has a very bright and shiny future.
Proud member of the Iowa-Illinois Merkur Owner's Association since 2015. :cheers
R Code
Level 1
Level 1

Post by R Code »

eaton53 wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 8:16 am My show car doesn't get very dirty. Most of the time I'm Quik Detailing it instead of washing it.
Mark, if you are into showing your cars, check out the AACA. They put on awesome shows in great spots, and mainly celebrate cars in original spec, with driver participation & HPOF classes for cars that see more use/modifications. They also put on weeklong scenic tours that are a unique experience. They really try to engage the whole family, definitely worth checking out.

In all my years w/the AACA, the Euro Fords are seldom (if ever) seen. My goal was to clean up my XR & take it through all the AACA judging, but I learned (yet again) that having more than 1 show car is too much of a time suck for me.

Good luck w/the new toy.
- Chris

'89 XR4Ti (5 speed) - sold
eaton53
Level 6
Level 6

Post by eaton53 »

R Code wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 11:48 am
eaton53 wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 8:16 am My show car doesn't get very dirty. Most of the time I'm Quik Detailing it instead of washing it.
Mark, if you are into showing your cars, check out the AACA. They put on awesome shows in great spots, and mainly celebrate cars in original spec, with driver participation & HPOF classes for cars that see more use/modifications. They also put on weeklong scenic tours that are a unique experience. They really try to engage the whole family, definitely worth checking out.

In all my years w/the AACA, the Euro Fords are seldom (if ever) seen. My goal was to clean up my XR & take it through all the AACA judging, but I learned (yet again) that having more than 1 show car is too much of a time suck for me.

Good luck w/the new toy.

Local AACA chapter lobbied me very hard to join last year. I had all the forms, then I found out it was 45 bucks a year.
I wouldn't mind that if they did more, but they do next to nothing in this part of the country.
I don't need to pay $45 to go to a few cruise ins (which don't even require AACA membership) or need any magazines.

'89 XR4Ti
'89 Scorpio
Proud member of the Iowa-Illinois Merkur Owner's Association since 2015. :cheers
R Code
Level 1
Level 1

Post by R Code »

eaton53 wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 2:12 pm AACA tried very hard to get me to join last year but their dues were very high and they have very few events in this part of the country.
I hear ya, having fun ain't cheap. It's your time really that's most valuable. I liked the ability to earn top national awards in a judged setting, but also the excuse to take the old car on an adventure, involve the spouse, explore new areas, etc. The people are cool, and as a club, they get access to private collections, and historic sites all over the country. It's been a ton of fun over the years.
- Chris

eaton53
Level 6
Level 6

Post by eaton53 »

R Code wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 2:29 pm
eaton53 wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 2:12 pm AACA tried very hard to get me to join last year but their dues were very high and they have very few events in this part of the country.
I hear ya, having fun ain't cheap. It's your time really that's most valuable. I liked the ability to earn top national awards in a judged setting, but also the excuse to take the old car on an adventure, involve the spouse, explore new areas, etc. The people are cool, and as a club, they get access to private collections, and historic sites all over the country. It's been a ton of fun over the years.
The cost of it isn't an issue, it's that there are literally zero AACA events in this part of the country.
I went to all of the local chapter's cruise-ins last year, they were free. They didn't really give me a good reason to join.
I attend very few judged events, participant or otherwise. I go to so much stuff that I'd rather just come and go as I please.

'89 XR4Ti
'89 Scorpio
R Code
Level 1
Level 1

Post by R Code »

A common complaint with any national club. Granted, there is generally travel involved for national shows, tours & other events. What I'm saying it's worth it (to me).

But hey, local cruise-ins are fun too. Nice to see the fellas and catch up. These days, kids I coached are bringing their cars & motorcycles around. Nice to see what those guys are working on.
- Chris

eaton53
Level 6
Level 6

Post by eaton53 »

Talked to the owner of the repair shop today.
Car is almost done and I should be getting it back next week!
We have to time the drive home to fall in between snowstorms.

When I get it, there will be pics. :cheers

'89 XR4Ti
'89 Scorpio
eaton53
Level 6
Level 6

Post by eaton53 »

The odyssey ends here and the dream lives in the car show thread...

'89 XR4Ti
'89 Scorpio
andyofcolumbusmerkur
Level 7
Level 7

Post by andyofcolumbusmerkur »

eaton53 wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 9:41 pm The odyssey ends here and the dream lives in the car show thread...
Congratulations your car is a cars and bids thumbnail!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S8EcEeFpPfQ
The best way to keep your Kia from being stolen is to not have a Kia.
eaton53
Level 6
Level 6

Post by eaton53 »

andyofcolumbusmerkur wrote: Sun Feb 07, 2021 11:20 pm
eaton53 wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 9:41 pm The odyssey ends here and the dream lives in the car show thread...
Woo!
"The guy that bought is it an enthusiast of these cars."
A bit of an understatement.

2nd time the car has been in one of his YouTubes... he obviously loves it.
Doug gets a ton of views and it was also on Autoblog.
After all of this publicity, it probably has to be the World's Most Famous Merkur.

I'm gonna send him an email... let's see if he responds!!

'89 XR4Ti
'89 Scorpio
eaton53
Level 6
Level 6

Post by eaton53 »

eaton53 wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 8:32 am
andyofcolumbusmerkur wrote: Sun Feb 07, 2021 11:20 pm
Woo!
"The guy that bought is it an enthusiast of these cars."
A bit of an understatement.

2nd time the car has been in one of his YouTubes... he obviously loves it.
Doug gets a ton of views and it was also on Autoblog.
After all of this publicity, it probably has to be the World's Most Famous Merkur.

I'm gonna send him an email... let's see if he responds!!
And he did respond... on Friday.
Doug DeMuro wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 8:32 am Hi Mark,

I apologize for the delay! Thank you so much for the note and for using Cars & Bids! Due to the volume of car offers I get, I can’t reply individually to all of them - but I do sort through each and every one, and I add them to a running spreadsheet that I keep with all the cool cars I’ve been offered.

If I’m looking to film a video with your car, I’ll be sure to reach out (and I’ll give you ample notice). I may also reply with a couple of follow-up questions just to be sure I have your car information correct.

Thanks again and let me know if you get something else or if anything changes!

Doug
Doubt it'll happen, but it would be some fun if Doug reviewed the Merkurs.
If he talked to me, of course I would have to turn up the Hype Machine to Eleventeen...

'89 XR4Ti
'89 Scorpio