Original Audio System - FM Reception

Scorpio / Scorpio Cosworth Discussions - Questions, problem resolution, general talk, technical tips and modifications.
Merkur Club web site
Fresh Air Inspector
Level 2
Level 2

Original Audio System - FM Reception

Post by Fresh Air Inspector »

Hello All,

The '88 Scorpio I recently purchased for my better half still has the original audio system installed. She wants to keep the system because we still have a large collection of cassettes plus we have a USB / FM converter powered through the cigarette lighter. We find the FM reception poor to say the least.

So, I'm wondering what you are doing with your systems? I see two options;

1. Add a signal amplifier to the antenna feed, if so, which model did you use?

2. Replace the 'grid antenna' with one of those 'shark fin' roof antennas (to avoid the old style stainless steel fender antenna), if so, which model did you use? Prices seem to range from $20 to over $100!

I suppose a third option exists, replace the audio system and find digital versions of the cassettes? :-)

Looking forward to the feedback.
Thank you and take care,
Peter
1988 Merkur Scorpio, 1988 Plymouth Caravelle (police package), 1994 Volvo 940 Turbo Wagon, 2011 Hyundai Elantra GLS Touring
brokencase
Level 7
Level 7

Re: Original Audio System - FM Reception

Post by brokencase »

So - There is a special rf amp/ defrost grid interface board in the rear hatch under the plastic cover.

Is your rear defrost grid functional? If not then it is probably a related issue as far as the radio reception is concerned.

However the board is 33 years old. It is possible that it has failed. You might want to try looking for a spare from someone on this list or on ebay.

Typically what fails in the board are the electrolytic capacitors which have a lifetime of about 30 years. This is an issue with many of the electrical modules on our Scorpios. If you know a good electrical person (like a good ham radio operator), they might be able to help troubleshoot/fix.

I replaced my original radio with a single DIN Kenwood and reception was fine. So it's not question of the modern radio not working with the rear grid antenna.

You can also mount a new antenna as you describe. Be prepared for a serious bit of work routing the wire up to the dash.

I think it would be best to fix the module (or if there are bad connections to the defrost grid, or broken defrost grid).
Specialization is for Insects
eaton53
Level 6
Level 6

Post by eaton53 »

I should try mine.
I turned the radio on for a few seconds since I've owned to make sure it "worked".
I'm too scared to stick a cassette in either car.
Mark Copeland - I'm 50 miles west of Kewanee, IL

'89 XR4Ti
Car was the 2014 MCA Merkur Preservation Award Winner
'89 Scorpio
This one has a very bright and shiny future.
Proud member of the Iowa-Illinois Merkur Owner's Association since 2015. :cheers
andyofcolumbusmerkur
Level 7
Level 7

Post by andyofcolumbusmerkur »

What the heck is a cassette?
The best way to keep your Kia from being stolen is to not have a Kia.
eaton53
Level 6
Level 6

Post by eaton53 »

andyofcolumbusmerkur wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 8:09 amWhat the heck is a cassette?
It's this spaghetti-like thing that gets caught in the dash of 1980's cars.
My FM reception is very good, I get all of the stations. Sound quality is another story entirely.
Mark Copeland - I'm 50 miles west of Kewanee, IL

'89 XR4Ti
Car was the 2014 MCA Merkur Preservation Award Winner
'89 Scorpio
This one has a very bright and shiny future.
Proud member of the Iowa-Illinois Merkur Owner's Association since 2015. :cheers
andyofcolumbusmerkur
Level 7
Level 7

You can actually rebuild the original speakers. Either re-foam them or replace what are known as "soft parts". The factory amp could need rebuilt but I would try swapping it out with a good used one first.
brokencase
Level 7
Level 7

Post by brokencase »

My audio amp didn't work when I got the car and it turned out to be an internal fuse was blown. Easy fix. Open the amp up and you will see it.
While I have rebuilt several woofers for home speakers in my time, I don't think car speakers are worth the trouble.
Just buy new speakers of the same form factor and replace. Even inexpensive modern speakers will outperform the Scorpio's original items.
The original ones in the front doors tend to deteriorate from moisture.
andyofcolumbusmerkur
Level 7
Level 7

brokencase wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 1:02 pm My audio amp didn't work when I got the car and it turned out to be an internal fuse was blown. Easy fix. Open the amp up and you will see it.
While I have rebuilt several woofers for home speakers in my time, I don't think car speakers are worth the trouble.
Just buy new speakers of the same form factor and replace. Even inexpensive modern speakers will outperform the Scorpio's original items.
The original ones in the front doors tend to deteriorate from moisture.
Ya almost always basic aftermarket speakers will outperform original factory stuff, as long as the install is decent. Still some people may want to say the car is 100% original and then I can see messing with the old speakers such as a re-foaming.
andyofcolumbusmerkur
Level 7
Level 7

Fresh Air Inspector wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 3:57 pm Hello All,

The '88 Scorpio I recently purchased for my better half still has the original audio system installed. She wants to keep the system because we still have a large collection of cassettes plus we have a USB / FM converter powered through the cigarette lighter. We find the FM reception poor to say the least.

So, I'm wondering what you are doing with your systems? I see two options;

1. Add a signal amplifier to the antenna feed, if so, which model did you use?

2. Replace the 'grid antenna' with one of those 'shark fin' roof antennas (to avoid the old style stainless steel fender antenna), if so, which model did you use? Prices seem to range from $20 to over $100!

I suppose a third option exists, replace the audio system and find digital versions of the cassettes? :-)

Looking forward to the feedback.
I have never had much luck with those FM amplifiers. Just plug in a shorty FM antennae kit into the back of the headunit, and put the other end (with shorty antennae) up as high as you can. I wouldn't want to drill a hole to mount it but you could if you wish.
Fresh Air Inspector
Level 2
Level 2

Hello All,

I took a long shot and decided to replace the two capacitors, after some 30 years they are probably dried out. The reception improved dramatically. I have a FM signal booster on order and it will be interesting to see what if anything changes.

If you plan to replace these capacitors you will require the following type; Aluminium Electrolytic type with radial leads and rated for 85 degrees Celsius. The capacitor values are; a 22uF 25V and a 220uF 16V. They are available from Mouser, Allied Electronics and Digikey at a few cents each. The postage will probably cost you more than the parts so you may want to look at all your Merkur electronic bits to see what other capacitors you could use. :-)

Replacing these components is relatively easy. The link below outlines the basic (and not so basic), tools needed. Just bear in mind that capacitors have polarity - the negative terminal is marked on the case but not on the circuit board, the positive is marked. So pay careful attention to the orientation BEFORE removing the old capacitors.

https://www.build-electronic-circuits.c ... ing-tools/

The picture below shows the original capacitors as well as highlighting the negative marking on the housing.
Cap - 2R.jpg
Cap - 2R.jpg (176.74 KiB) Viewed 3646 times
Hope it helps. I'll update this thread after I've tested the FM signal booster.
Thank you and take care,
Peter
1988 Merkur Scorpio, 1988 Plymouth Caravelle (police package), 1994 Volvo 940 Turbo Wagon, 2011 Hyundai Elantra GLS Touring
Ed Lijewski
Level 8

Post by Ed Lijewski »

Wait for it...

https://youtu.be/rr7bPmGTQUk

YMMV
Descartes: "Cogito Ergo Sum"
Lijewski: "Sum Ergo Drive-O. Mucho!
Ed Lijewski
Level 8

Post by Ed Lijewski »

What also can make a (subjective) difference is to remove and reinsert the antenna cable to the radio.

I has thought about doing that to my '89s radio over past months to see if it could improve reception at least somewhat. A few days ago I saw that the station light bulb had burned out so on replacing it I also removed the antenna end from the radio and reinserted it. While I was at the rear of the tuner I likewise removed and reinserted the two black plastic female harness connectors.

Again, subjective, but I sensed an improvement in FM reception (I mention FM because until just now I forgot to check AM reception).

The same manuever--remove/reinsert--at the hatch end of the antenna cable could be worthwhile.

YMMV
Last edited by Ed Lijewski on Wed Aug 04, 2021 12:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Descartes: "Cogito Ergo Sum"
Lijewski: "Sum Ergo Drive-O. Mucho!
my8950
Level 7
Level 7

Post by my8950 »

Sony guts
brokencase
Level 7
Level 7

Post by brokencase »

Fresh Air Inspector wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 5:51 pm Hello All,

I took a long shot and decided to replace the two capacitors, after some 30 years they are probably dried out.

Fresh Air Inspector -

Just an FYI, I found about half of the electrolytics in my EATC were out of spec from age. Either the measured value was off by 30% or more or the ESR was way up.

I just removed them all and replaced. Afterwards I tested the pulled caps with this tool (which I highly recommend)

https://www.ebay.com/itm/174797667083

This comes as a kit but you can spend a little more (~$20USD) and get one all assembled as well.

Absolutely one of the best and inexpensive testing tools I have found....
1) Test & measures capacitors ESR, etc..
2) Connect any 2 or 3 terminal device to any of the 3 connections (in any order) and it will tell you what the device is and will test it and will identify the leads for you. Resistors, FETs, transistors, diode, SCR, thyristors, coils, etc..
3) It can measure frequency.
4) It is a signal generator (with PWM). You can directly drive a FET with the the PWM output.

I suspect that this capacitor issue will continue to raise it's ugly head as these cars get older.
There are a lot of modules in the Scorpio.

The EECIV has only 3-4 electrolytics and they are really good quality. So I'm not too worried about that.

But things like the dash, EATC, ABS module, lamp out module. Radio, RF amp, etc... would be a concern.
Last edited by brokencase on Wed Aug 04, 2021 12:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fresh Air Inspector
Level 2
Level 2

Hello Noah,

I hope that wasn't a dig at Sony. :-) I worked for Sony Canada for many years in the late '90s. They made some very fine products at that time, can't comment on the current situation. I moved to Sony after more than a dozen years at Panasonic Canada and was shocked at the loyal and quality driven customer base that Sony had.

Hello Ed,

I will experiment with the 'unplug / plug in' the antenna connection when I pull the stereo to install the booster. I'll try to find a fringe reception AM as well as FM for the 'before and after' evaluation.

The FM signal booster arrived today so I should have an update within the next few days.

Great YouTube video; 'don't try this at home! :-) When I was in college I worked part time at an import car garage and the mechanics would 'test' the parts guy by charging a condenser (aka capacitor), after twisting up the wire lead. They would ask for a part with the same length of wire lead on the condenser, this would force the parts guy to grab the housing and the wire to straighten the latter out. Made for some good laughs.

Hello Brokencase,

Thanks for the tip. I had a similar device years ago but it 'vanished' during one of my many house moves. I'll have to get my finger out and order one.
Thank you and take care,
Peter