Scorpio stalls at speed and will not restart-Need your advice.

Scorpio / Scorpio Cosworth Discussions - Questions, problem resolution, general talk, technical tips and modifications.
Merkur Club web site
kstupay

Scorpio stalls at speed and will not restart-Need your advice.

Post by kstupay »

My Scorpio recently stalled while idling at stoplight and would not restart. Was able to get it started with a shot of Quick Start fluid but after that every stop that day required several shots of Quick Start and heavy cranking to just barely get it to start. While trying to limp the car home it finally died and had to be towed. The starter would turnover but no ignition no matter how much cranking or sprays of Quick Start fluid.

My mechanic identified the problem as no voltage to the plugs so we replaced the coil, ignition control module, and plugs and, after getting it to start also checked the fuel pressure regulator and changed the fuel filter for good measure. Upon picking it up today it started right up but a few miles down the road seemed to falter while driving and then stalled at a stop light. I was able to start it with a little cranking but about 10 miles further down the road the engine died at speed (70MPH) and repeated shots of Quick Start fluid or cranking failed to get a start. I had to have it towed back to the shop within 5 hours of picking it up.

I suspect that this may be some kind of relay issue (ignition switch, engine run, start???)or EEC issue but I am one of those owners who knows enough about my Scorpio to fix a lot of simple stuff but not enough to do heavy diagnostics. Would appreciate the insight and advice from those of you who are more experienced as to where I should focusing to sort this out.
Ed Lijewski
Level 8

Re: Scorpio stalls at speed and will not restart-Need your advice.

Post by Ed Lijewski »

An avuncular voice here will advise you/your mechanic to check for computer trouble codes, correctly, but your shop should have done that, first.

Since the shop didn't do that but installed those new ignition parts, it could be that the distributor pickup (PIP) failed, intermittently. I don't think I've seen a quick/easy test for it, but your car's symptoms sure correlate with a failing PIP unit. PIPs are known to occasionally fail.

Distributor needs to be removed to R&R the PIP which is pressed onto the shaft. Not a big job overall. PIPs are easily available.

YMMV
Descartes: "Cogito Ergo Sum"
Lijewski: "Sum Ergo Drive-O. Mucho!
brokencase
Level 7
Level 7

Re: Scorpio stalls at speed and will not restart-Need your advice.

Post by brokencase »

For once I agree with everything Ed has stated.

I would emphasize getting the EECIV diagnostic codes.

I would also recommend that the mechanic check for poor connection of fuses and relays in the fuse box.

Please let us know of your ultimate resolution.
Specialization is for Insects