Transmission Mount

Scorpio / Scorpio Cosworth Discussions - Questions, problem resolution, general talk, technical tips and modifications.
Merkur Club web site
Fresh Air Inspector
Level 2
Level 2

Transmission Mount

Post by Fresh Air Inspector »

Hello All,

Today I decided to replace the transmission mount with a NOS item from Brad (aka DPDISXR4Ti). When I compared the 'old one' with the new one I was shocked in the difference. The old one was 16mm (5/8"), lower than the new one. I always knew motor and transmission mounts would 'collapse' with age but not to the extent that this one did. See picture below.
Transmission Mount - 1R.jpg
Transmission Mount - 1R.jpg (196.22 KiB) Viewed 3639 times
So, I would highly recommend you check the condition of your transmission mount. In the picture below note the bolt inside the brass coloured housing shaped like a bell. The gap between the 'bell' and the rectangular housing of the transmission mount is key to evaluating the mount's condition. The mount in the picture is the new one and the gap is app. 12mm (slightly less than 1/2"). If you have a gap greater than this the transmission mount is probably past its sell by date and should be replaced.
Transmission Mount - 2R.jpg
Transmission Mount - 2R.jpg (292.2 KiB) Viewed 3639 times
Replacing the mount is relatively easy and should only take an hour or two, depending on how much degreasing you want to do. Make sure you have a floor jack to support the transmission while the transmission mount is out of the vehicle.

Hope it helps.
Thank you and take care,
Peter
1988 Merkur Scorpio, 1988 Plymouth Caravelle (police package), 1994 Volvo 940 Turbo Wagon, 2011 Hyundai Elantra GLS Touring
Ed Lijewski
Level 8

Re: Transmission Mount

Post by Ed Lijewski »

While you're at it at the differential mount if you can't insert the nail of your forefinger (at the bottom between the iron housing and the center rubber section) that mount is also toast.

YMMV
Descartes: "Cogito Ergo Sum"
Lijewski: "Sum Ergo Drive-O. Mucho!
brokencase
Level 7
Level 7

Post by brokencase »

Oil leaking onto transmission mount hastens it's demise. Sunken transmission mount hastens demise of rotoflex.

Wishing there was a polyurethane alternative for Transmission mount.
Specialization is for Insects
Ed Lijewski
Level 8

Post by Ed Lijewski »

I've replaced two trans mounts, on the '88 and '89, and don't call seeing much evidence if any of oil/trans fluid on either. I think 5hose mounts gave out to age and use.

YMMV
brokencase
Level 7
Level 7

Post by brokencase »

I too have changed the Scorpio transmission mounts. I think most Scorpio owners have.

The fact that it sags over time is because it is not the best design. That is why I wish I there was a polyurethane upgrade.
Let's face it, seldom does one have to replace the transmission mount on just about any other used vehicle.
Installing a replacement that I know is going to ultimately fail again does not give me a warm and fuzzy feeling.

My statement regarding oil on the mount is a general one and not about Ed's experiences. The fact that FreshAirInspector mentioned "how much degreasing you want to do" is why I brought it up. FreshAirInspector - Good idea to pull the aluminum shield and visually check your rotoflex.
Fresh Air Inspector
Level 2
Level 2

Hello Brokencase,

When I did the U-joint and driveshaft balancing exercise a few months ago I degreased the gearbox and the Aluminium heat shield. The amount of oil / grease on the engine, gearbox and underside as a result of leaking valve covers was significant and probably impacted the transmission mount. Although from previous experience an oil fatigued motor mount or transmission mount is usually 'soft and spongy' - mine showed all the signs of pure rubber fatigue. BTW, the motor mounts are on my 'to do' list as preventative maintenance.

I replaced the Guibo (Giubo, Rotoflex coupling), when I did the driveshaft so that is OK. The centre support bearing is also good. Next stop is the differential mount. It checks out OK but I will replace it as a matter of preventative maintenance.

Fully agree about the quality of the original mount (rather minimalist design = limited life), and going to Polyurethane. I have heard of people producing their own bushings but these are a straight bushing that uses a separate metal housing. A bonded one like the transmission mount would be difficult. I was able to get my hands on a full set of PU bushings for my Scorpio (SuperPro out of Australia), to be installed at a latter date. That company does not produce any 'drive train' related bushings, only suspension bits - pity! Motor mounts may be doable as a 'PU self build' as they are typically a threaded post with a metal plate imbedded in the material.

Need to do some research on whether PU can be 3D printed inside a metal housing. :-)
Thank you and take care,
Peter
1988 Merkur Scorpio, 1988 Plymouth Caravelle (police package), 1994 Volvo 940 Turbo Wagon, 2011 Hyundai Elantra GLS Touring
brokencase
Level 7
Level 7

Post by brokencase »

Agree, it is a little difficult to come up with a polyurethane solution for the trans mount. I've 3d printed quite a bit in polyurethane.
For something like this it is better to 3d print a mold and then use pourable curing polyurethane to make the final part.

You can modify Thunderbird motor mounts to work in the Scorpio.

They come in solid and viscoelastic configurations.

http://forum.merkurclub.net/forum/viewt ... 29&t=31247

http://www2.merkurclub.net/pdfs/KizerScorpio/19.pdf

I've been thinking about doing this as well. What is your plan? Hoist the whole engine up from above or can it be done by just jacking on the oil pan from beneath?
Ed Lijewski
Level 8

Post by Ed Lijewski »

I'd jack up on the crank pulley using a non-green piece of indoor 2"×4" between the jack and pulley.

YMMV
Fresh Air Inspector
Level 2
Level 2

Hello Brokencase,

Thanks for the links, I had seen these some time ago but forgot. I checked with NAPA and they carry the viscoelastic version (according to cross reference from the Advance Auto p/n 612661), as part number DTM 6021649.

I hadn't thought about how to remove / replace the motor mounts. I have an engine hoist and an engine leveler to control lift angle but then I realized that the Scorpio engine doesn't have the nice hoist brackets like my Volvo. So ....

I'm not keen on the softwood block under the crank pulley. Plan A would be to put a tow strap under the engine (2 x 8 under the oil pan), and attach this to my engine hoist. This will distribute the load over the oil pan and exhaust manifolds. Plan B would be a piece of 2 x 8 under the flat part of the pan just behind the front cross member. I'll have to study the oil pan to see how much of a load the design could handle.

My guess is with the engine supported but not raised I could unbolt the engine mount bracket from the engine block and the front cross member. Then by raising the engine about 2.5cm (1"), enough room should exist to remove the mount assembly. I'll know more when I take on this task.

Looks like my winter project ('71 VW Beetle Cabriolet restoration), will be delayed again. :-)
Thank you and take care,
Peter
Ed Lijewski
Level 8

Post by Ed Lijewski »

I've used the crank pulley on soft wood to slightly raise and hold the XR4Ti 2.3 lump (over 400 lbs) three times replacing motor mounts. No issues. Nothing restricting working space.

Using the pan for jack support seems to me to risk compressing the pan gasket and possibly enabling leakage there.

YMMV
Ed Lijewski
Level 8

Post by Ed Lijewski »

I just spoke via Messenger with Russ at Rapido about Scorpio motor mounts. He hasn't had any in stock in recent years as demand was next to nil then.

He can order mounts. I asked for a price range, he said $350‐$400.

Above what I'd prefer, but they'd not require metal removal from the engine support arms.

YMMV
Ed Lijewski
Level 8

Post by Ed Lijewski »

At ~5:40 see Loctite Roof Flashing polyurethane injected into a transmission mount similar to ours. Later the Tuber uses harder diameter Windo-Weld on all five Honda mounts, but on road testing engine vibrations come through.

https://youtu.be/cpqTo7bUUB4

YMMV
my8950
Level 7
Level 7

Post by my8950 »

brokencase wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 8:22 pm Agree, it is a little difficult to come up with a polyurethane solution for the trans mount. I've 3d printed quite a bit in polyurethane.
For something like this it is better to 3d print a mold and then use pourable curing polyurethane to make the final part.

You can modify Thunderbird motor mounts to work in the Scorpio.

They come in solid and viscoelastic configurations.

http://forum.merkurclub.net/forum/viewt ... 29&t=31247

I've been thinking about doing this as well. What is your plan? Hoist the whole engine up from above or can it be done by just jacking on the oil pan from beneath?
Would you happen to have this PDF file? The link is no longer valid.

Ed Lijewski
Level 8

Post by Ed Lijewski »

my8950
Level 7
Level 7

Post by my8950 »

Ed Lijewski wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 12:14 pm Worked just now:

http://www2.merkurclub.net/pages/resources.html

YMMV
Hmmm, it wouldn't for me earlier, this is the table of contents though, but I was able to get to the link that way.
Maybe its something at my home since I am on a different connection now.