Engine sludge removal

Scorpio / Scorpio Cosworth Discussions - Questions, problem resolution, general talk, technical tips and modifications.
Merkur Club web site
PeterP11c
Level 2
Level 2

Engine sludge removal

Post by PeterP11c »

I am getting ready for an oil change. Got new FRAM oil filter, 4 quartz of 20W50 and some accessories. Saw some Youtube clips of a guy from M539 Restorations specializing in fixing older BMW's in Germany. Amazing stuff to watch, but one thing caught my eye. In one segment he removed an oil pan from a 34 year old 750il and it was full of black sludge on the bottom which brings me to a subject at hand. I cannot emulate his garage conditions, but would like to add some internal engine cleaner before the oil change. Can you recommend any product for this task and is this a safe procedure to begin with?
Thank you,
PeterP11c
zxr250cc
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Engine sludge removal

Post by zxr250cc »

Hi all,

GUNK has a good cleaner that you add to the oil, let the motor idle for a while (times on label) and then drain the oil and do an oil change. I have used it and the results have been good and the drain out oil looks very dark indeed. BG make an even more aggressive version of this that the service folks use to clean engines and it is noted for cleaning the piston rings in highly fouled engines as well as the rest of the engine. I have used both of these in the past.

Cars in the Euro market are not driven long distances at high speed as much as here and that would be an issue with mostly stop and go use. There was a class action lawsuit about motors prone to sludge buildup in VW cars about 10-12 years ago if I remember that correctly.

What is the recommended oil for the engine? 10w30? I used 20w50 in my Brit bikes and air cooled Beetles but not in my other vehicles. Modern oils are much better than oil originally requested for these cars. The additive packages and the synthetic base oils in them make modern oils MUCH better than the older standards such as SJ or SH. High mileage designated oils have extra cleaner agents in them and would be a good choice if you think the engine is sludged up. Valvoline Max Life Synthetic would be a good example of that. It is excellent oil for any engine, new or old. Other companies offer similar types of oil. I have used Valvoline Max Life in multiple cars to good effect.

Cheers
1986 XR4Ti Mineral Blue Metallic
PeterP11c
Level 2
Level 2

Post by PeterP11c »

After watching the Youtube Bimmer guy, I went to Amazon.com and also ordered a can of Liqui Moly 2037. It is made in Germany and has very good reviews. I am a bit apprehensive about my seals but the engine flush may be beneficial after 29 years. Will keep a timer to run exactly 10 minutes on idle and then drain the oil.
brokencase
Level 7
Level 7

Post by brokencase »

PeterP11c wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 10:42 pm I cannot emulate his garage conditions, but would like to add some internal engine cleaner before the oil change. Can you recommend any product for this task and is this a safe procedure to begin with?
Thank you,
PeterP11c
Peter, the following videos cover what you want to do. He does a before and after on a Ranger V6 with good results.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=agAWXnT4-EQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=prXiQgVVnDY
Specialization is for Insects
PeterP11c
Level 2
Level 2

Post by PeterP11c »

Wow, now you got me started on a whole new journey. :D Appreciate the links. Today is my Scorpio wash day. Next week, engine flush with Liqui Moly and oil change. Then, I will apply all these products, one a the time.
Thank you,
PeterP11c
my8950
Level 7
Level 7

Post by my8950 »

Diesel fuel...Also can use ATF.
PeterP11c
Level 2
Level 2

Post by PeterP11c »

Well, I am impressed with the Liqui Moly, a product I never heard about two weeks ago. First drove the car to get a normal operating temperature then idled it for exactly 10 minutes after adding the full can of engine cleaner. Proceeded with oil and filter change as usual. The spent oil was more liquid due to the additive and decidedly darker. Started the engine and, boy ohh boy, she run so much smoother and quieter. Great improvement, so it was money well spent. I am not sure if this calls for repeat during each oil change but for the next 3K miles I have plenty of time to think it over.
andyofcolumbusmerkur
Level 7
Level 7

Post by andyofcolumbusmerkur »

I also had good luck with the liqui moly engine flush that you add to the oil and idle for ten minutes. Used it in an old toyota 3.0 V6 that had been sitting a lot. After I drained the oil I added one quart, then cranked the engine with the coil disconnected so there was no spark. Then drained that oil out. Got a lot more dirty oil out doing this. Or you could change the oil a second time if you wanted though the directions don't tell you that is necessary. Never tried any of their other products but I may have to check those out as well.
The best way to keep your Kia from being stolen is to not have a Kia.
my8950
Level 7
Level 7

Post by my8950 »

brokencase wrote: Sun Jun 19, 2022 10:43 am
PeterP11c wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 10:42 pm I cannot emulate his garage conditions, but would like to add some internal engine cleaner before the oil change. Can you recommend any product for this task and is this a safe procedure to begin with?
Thank you,
PeterP11c
Peter, the following videos cover what you want to do. He does a before and after on a Ranger V6 with good results.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=agAWXnT4-EQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=prXiQgVVnDY
The way he was driving out on the farm, I was hopeful that he was going to take that Ranger off some sweet jumps!
zxr250cc
Level 5
Level 5

Post by zxr250cc »

Hi all,

I suggest using the BG if you want the most aggressive engine cleaner. It is a US product from Wichita you should be able to find in your area. Do not drive around with this in an engine; use as directed.

As mentioned I have used it and it reduced oil consumption in my 24v DOHC Taurus engine considerably. It was using about a quart in 1,000 miles and after cleaning it was about 2,000 miles. The 24v is at 230k miles and runs well. The BG web site offers info of its use in cars that were drinking oil like fish and had to be cleaned twice with good results afterwards. Yes, it is cleaning at the same time. It is strong enough to clean the rings, not just sludge.

https://www.bgprod.com/catalog/engine/b ... storation/

On a side note, if you want an injector cleaner look for ones with PEA in them as it dissolves carbon and will clean intake runners, valves and pistons in usage. Berryman B-60 High Mileage System Cleaner is a good example of that. I use a can of this every oil change. I have taken the intake manifold off the Taurus to fix a vacuum leak in a vacuum hose and the intakes and valves in the 24v looked like photos from an advertisement due to having used B-60 a week prior to the work done. The secondary intake runners and valves were filthy as the e-clip holding the throttle linkage together for the secondary intakes had fallen off and the primaries were spotless from the B-60. It was a learning moment to see that. LubeGard make a good cleaner and BG as well. I worked in the automotive parts industry for quite some time and those three cleaners were the best we had to offer. Many are junk and only alcohol or variants.

I should point out that Sea Foam is good stuff, I prefer PEA based products for fuel injected gear. I have used SF in stored motocycles and mowers with carbs and it works well as a cleaner and stabilizer.

YMMV

Cheers
brokencase
Level 7
Level 7

Post by brokencase »

zxr250cc - Seems counter intuitive

I would not expect sludge removal to reduce oil consumption.

If anything the sludge would keep the oil from getting out, past the rings or wherever.
Specialization is for Insects
zxr250cc
Level 5
Level 5

Post by zxr250cc »

Hi all,

The rings in some high mileage engines begin sticking in the lands with this leading to very high oil consumption. Two hundred to three hundred miles per quart, for example. The BG stuff is aimed at that problem but it will also clean oil passages and general crud out of an engine. BG usually have this product used only by trained mechanics and have testimonials on their web site about the results. It worked for me as well. I am not sure I would put this in a turbo but it certainly was good for the 24v DOHC Taurus engine.

I have used the GUNK cleaner in the XR to good result when I took it out of storage after sitting for years. If the engine has regular oil changes with good quality oil there should be little to clean to begin with. A used car with who knows what prior service record would be a good candidate though, I believe. Another mechanics usage is to use oil rated for gas and diesel for one fill cycle to use the higher detergency oil to clean out a motor.

Cheers
zxr250cc
Level 5
Level 5

Post by zxr250cc »

Hi all,

I mentioned early on in this thread about oil viscosity and how modern oil is so much better than older standards like SJ rated oil. I have found a good video about this from Mobil you might like:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IKdhgKUZhPA

Cheers
my8950
Level 7
Level 7

Post by my8950 »

zxr250cc wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 5:47 pm I have used the GUNK cleaner in the XR to good result when I took it out of storage after sitting for years. If the engine has regular oil changes with good quality oil there should be little to clean to begin with. A used car with who knows what prior service record would be a good candidate though, I believe. Another mechanics usage is to use oil rated for gas and diesel for one fill cycle to use the higher detergency oil to clean out a motor.
I use oil rated for diesel every change.