Volvo Fused Power Distribution Box & Refreshing Major 12V Connections

Scorpio / Scorpio Cosworth Discussions - Questions, problem resolution, general talk, technical tips and modifications.
Merkur Club web site
DPDISXR4Ti
Site Admin

Volvo Fused Power Distribution Box & Refreshing Major 12V Connections

Post by DPDISXR4Ti »

The first time I noticed this on a Scorpio I assumed it was some sort of backyard fix done by someone lacking basic common sense...
VolvoPwrDistScorpio-1.jpg
VolvoPwrDistScorpio-1.jpg (276.46 KiB) Viewed 10912 times
But nope, that's factory original - even has the Ford logo on it.

So today, as part of an overall big project, I finally got around to fixing this as God (at least the Swedish Gods at Volvo) intended. I'll replace the short cable to the battery with something a little longer at a later date, but for now it's not going anywhere. The circuit all the way to the right is the alternator circuit, so I've got a 200A fuse on that one. The others are all 50 or 60A. Not sure if that's enough. I've got some 80A I can upgrade to if need be.
VolvoPwrDistScorpio-2.jpg
VolvoPwrDistScorpio-2.jpg (360.47 KiB) Viewed 10912 times
Brad
Bob Weir
Level 7
Level 7

Re: Volvo Fused Power Distribution Box

Post by Bob Weir »

Brad, In your first pik, I like your vac hose plug.

Using this battery terminal is easy & cheep. I wonder how many people replaced the 2 fusible link wires?
Attachments
Scorpio Barrery + Terminal.jpg
Scorpio Barrery + Terminal.jpg (82.88 KiB) Viewed 10815 times
DPDISXR4Ti
Site Admin

Post by DPDISXR4Ti »

Bob Weir wrote: Sat Jul 16, 2022 6:18 pm Using this battery terminal is easy & cheep. I wonder how many people replaced the 2 fusible link wires?
I still haven't even checked the schematic, but I did guess that those two circuits might have been fusible links. Do you recall what they support? Ford did the dual-parallel approach with their alternator line in the early 90's, but I'm pretty sure the alternator was NOT fused in anyway on this car. I should actually verify.
Brad
Bob Weir
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Bob Weir »

For those that don't have the EEC & Vac Bk
The other PWR [+] wires feed; 3 -> Auxiliary Fuse Panel, 1 -> Main Fuse Relay Panel, 1 -> Starter

People wonder why their Scorpio won't start or run well.
EEC & Vac Book 1989, p 29
However, p 20 & 21 show many more circuits from s1002 -> Engine Run Relay, and 3 wires to Main Fuse Panel, s1003 and s1004
Attachments
EEC & Vac Book p 20.jpeg
EEC & Vac Book p 20.jpeg (1.58 MiB) Viewed 10759 times
EEC & Vac Book p 29.jpg
EEC & Vac Book p 29.jpg (707.58 KiB) Viewed 10759 times
DPDISXR4Ti
Site Admin

Post by DPDISXR4Ti »

Thanks for saving me from opening up my own EVTM Bob! :mrgreen:

Kinda crazy that they ran a separate circuit (30-1 R) all the way to the battery for the seats! I'll put a 40A on that one since I have a bunch of those.

It looks like the 50A fuse I already picked will be a good number for the two ABS circuits (R/BL).

The only question is circuit 30-1, the one with the two fusible links. I think I need to upgrade that one to 80A since a lot of stuff runs through that.
Brad
Bob Weir
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Bob Weir »

< The only question is circuit 30-1, the one with the two fusible links. I think I need to upgrade that one to 80A since a lot of stuff runs through that.>

When I rewired mine, I could only find a roll of fusible wire - few bizillon feet more than I need. if you need any I can USPS you some in a #10 envelope.

For those who wander onto this thread, I've added p21 to give them an idea about circuit 30-1 handles.
Attachments
EEC & Vac Book p21.jpeg
EEC & Vac Book p21.jpeg (1.82 MiB) Viewed 10744 times
Ed Lijewski
Level 8

Post by Ed Lijewski »

Sooo many quibbles, so little time (er patience)...

Fusible links. Commonly harness engineers use these on circuits that occasionally may experience a short term current load that would otherwise result in a blown fuse. The fusible portion of the link tolerates the brief current spike but can separate if the spike is enduring (as from e.g. a short somewhere in the circuit). Think e.g. if a cigarette lighter not releasing after the specified seconds. The key switched power circuit to the starter solenoid likely is on a fusible link; maybe something else as well.

The power to to power seats runs through a circuit breaker (Yes!) mounted in the auxiliary fuse block in the ceiling of the glove box. So one assumes that circuit breaker would cut current if e.g. a seat motor continued to try to move but was obstructed by something. Or maybe if all four power seat motors were switched On at the same time

The ABS pump fuse is in the same auxiliary fuse block. (The ABS relay, and fuel pump relay are on a relay block under the dash pad). In ~30 years of ownership I nit experienced an ABS fuse failure; the ABS pump current is shut off by the accumulator pressure switch (a beefy unit).

IMO none of the Scorpio circuit need new or greater fuse protection; there just isn't any reported real world experiences to support doing that.

If anything, replacing any wiring end sections near the battery with lost/cracked insulation and/or otgerwise sketchy integrity after 33/34 years is definitely prudent.

The better bus block could be a good mod (time will tell...); adding fusing to each circuit to it just isn't necessary.

YMMV
Descartes: "Cogito Ergo Sum"
Lijewski: "Sum Ergo Drive-O. Mucho!
DPDISXR4Ti
Site Admin

Post by DPDISXR4Ti »

Ed Lijewski wrote: Mon Jul 18, 2022 6:31 pm IMO none of the Scorpio circuit need new or greater fuse protection; there just isn't any reported real world experiences to support doing that.

If anything, replacing any wiring end sections near the battery with lost/cracked insulation and/or otgerwise sketchy integrity after 33/34 years is definitely prudent.

The better bus block could be a good mod (time will tell...); adding fusing to each circuit to it just isn't necessary.
Modern vehicle design has the large current circuits fused as closely as possible to the source. That's what this does as well as provides a convenient and reliable way for adding/deleting/upgrading circuits. A future step will be renewing at least the ends, if not the entire circuits (the alternator will be first up for that treatment).

I've already added a fresh circuit for the fan (2nd 40A fuse in from the left), changed the seat circuit to 40A (#1 position), and upgraded the double-fusible link circuit to 80A. I could do away with the parallel fusible links, but I first need to better understand the load that circuit is seeing. 80A may be too high. So for now, belt AND suspenders. These type of slow-burn, high-power fuses didn't exist when our cars were built; nobody uses fusible links today.
20220719_163209.jpg
20220719_163209.jpg (271.26 KiB) Viewed 10707 times
Brad
Ed Lijewski
Level 8

Post by Ed Lijewski »

Why do you reason a speculative rating fuse is preferable to the OE installed power seat circuit breaker?

YMMV
Descartes: "Cogito Ergo Sum"
Lijewski: "Sum Ergo Drive-O. Mucho!
zxr250cc
Level 5
Level 5

Post by zxr250cc »

Hi all,

I am entering a link for a site that will offer a thorough run down on fuses and failure times. Perhaps it will be of use.

https://www.mouser.com/datasheet/2/240/ ... 522535.pdf

Hopefully this will help you choose fuses for all sorts of uses. Some of these might be useful if you are modifying the PCM or other electronics in the car.

Cheers
1986 XR4Ti Mineral Blue Metallic
DPDISXR4Ti
Site Admin

Re: Volvo Fused Power Distribution Box & Refreshing Major 12V Connections

Post by DPDISXR4Ti »

I've updated the topic heading as I cut and paste Dimitri's post below on this topic from an earlier thread. It's worthy of being in a couple places and relevant to this topic. Dimitri, can you be any more specific on the location of S1004? Obviously I should have gone hunting for it last week when the dash looked like this. The upper dash pad is still off as I type this. Do you think that buys me anything?
ScorpioDashOut.JPG
ScorpioDashOut.JPG (1.05 MiB) Viewed 10618 times

dimswits wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 11:59 am Your intuition about the ECU ground is on the right track, but likely the wrong end. If you read through the thread Brad linked where I posted my findings, Bob Weir has a couple of posts later on that get to what I believe is the root of the matter... the wiring harnesses in both cars were never very good, and age is only exacerbating the matter.

Going back to my Turbo Scorpio, I'll add this seemingly unrelated anecdote. I have a voltmeter in that car, and it would routinely read less than 10 volts when coming to a stop with the lights on. The lights would dim and then brighten again. It would often, though not always, read only 11.9 to 12.1 when running. Sounds like a bad alt, huh? But I never had issues starting the car.

So I wired up two more voltmeters, one directly to the battery, one to the alt. For good measure I put a plugin voltmeter in the cigarette lighter. And I went for a drive at night and did some observing. When my cluster voltmeter dipped below 10, I looked at the batt and alt meters. Both read 13.6. The cigarette lighter meter read 11.9. WTF!?

After a bunch of probing around the car and getting various readings between awful, low, and good, I narrowed it down to the three main splices in the body wiring harness, S1002, S1003, and S1004. Since 1004 is the only one remotely easy to get to under the dash (the other two are under the fuse box), I opened the harness there.

I should have taken pictures, but the splice was gross. The factory stripped a long length of the voltage source wire, wrapped it around a bundle of 3 branch wires, held it in place with a small crimped ring, then wrapped the thing with electrical tape. The exposed wires had significant white and green powder corrosion, despite being inside the car.

On a whim I clipped the two red wires that branch away from the splice. One feeds the ignition switch, and from there a whole bunch of stuff. The other feeds the headlamp switch. I ran each through a fuse link direct to my power distribution point.

The result was no more flickering lights, and no more readings of less than 13V on my voltmeter when running.

I think this, along with the observations from my datalogging, and Bob's findings when exploring the harness, show that the wiring is prone to deterioration in the power distribution splices that isn't obvious, and that can cause varied and unpredictable voltage drops. I think that simply redoing the voltage supply to the eec with new wiring of sufficient size, using the old relays to switch new ones fed directly from the battery, will mitigate the high idle issue.
Brad
zxr250cc
Level 5
Level 5

Post by zxr250cc »

Hi all,

The wiring being FUBAR in a German car is unexpected but apparently possible. Were Scorpio also assembled by Karmann or was that Ford Deutschland GMBH? That is a very disturbing story.

You might recall my mention of going through all the connections under the hood in the XR and cleaning all of them. I am glad i didn't find a mess like that. I did not go under the dash and now wonder if I should check it.

Cheers
1986 XR4Ti Mineral Blue Metallic
DPDISXR4Ti
Site Admin

Post by DPDISXR4Ti »

zxr250cc wrote: Sat Jul 23, 2022 9:51 pm The wiring being FUBAR in a German car is unexpected but apparently possible. Were Scorpio also assembled by Karmann or was that Ford Deutschland GMBH? That is a very disturbing story.
The North American Merkur Scorpio was built on the same Ford assembly-line as the Euro versions. As such, it varied from the Euro version much less than the XR4Ti, which was a substantially different vehicle from the Sierra XR4i. This also meant that the Scorpio was much lower cost than the XR4Ti, which is why it almost continued on even after it was decided to kill off the Merkur brand. But I digress...

My general observation is that the Scorpio wiring is more suspect than the XR4. Either one can have issues, with end-connectors and splices on either car needing to be inspected.
Brad
dimswits
Level 3
Level 3

Post by dimswits »

DPDISXR4Ti wrote: Sat Jul 23, 2022 1:57 pm I've updated the topic heading as I cut and paste Dimitri's post below on this topic from an earlier thread. It's worthy of being in a couple places and relevant to this topic. Dimitri, can you be any more specific on the location of S1004? Obviously I should have gone hunting for it last week when the dash looked like this. The upper dash pad is still off as I type this. Do you think that buys me anything?
You'll want to remove the left lower dash piece (the one the lamp-out module is clipped to - it is already removed in the pic you posted) and the steering column shrouds. You can then follow the red power feed from the ignition switch down to the first big splice it meets, which is S1004. You may have to slice open the tape, which will be a sticky mess.
Dimitri in NYC
88 Scorpio 2.5 Turbo
89 Scorpio 4.6 DOHC
02 E46 330Ci
17 MKC
DPDISXR4Ti
Site Admin

Post by DPDISXR4Ti »

dimswits wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 2:15 pm You'll want to remove the left lower dash piece (the one the lamp-out module is clipped to - it is already removed in the pic you posted) and the steering column shrouds. You can then follow the red power feed from the ignition switch down to the first big splice it meets, which is S1004. You may have to slice open the tape, which will be a sticky mess.
Thanks D. Of course that stuff is already put back in place, but it's easy enough to take back out (unlike the main lower dash). I'll get to this once I finally get the Nissan alternator swap sorted out. If you're feeling the need to be challenged, feel free to take a look at that thread. I'm about to put the original Bosch back in, if only as a diagnostic step!
Brad