Scorpio High Idle🙄

Scorpio / Scorpio Cosworth Discussions - Questions, problem resolution, general talk, technical tips and modifications.
Merkur Club web site
brokencase
Level 7
Level 7

Re: Scorpio High Idle🙄

Post by brokencase »

The attached Technical Service Bulletin (TSB) was probably already performed on your Scorpio back when it was young.

But the TSB does outline how the idle screw is adjusted. Hope it helps. Steps 8-25.
tsbidle1.jpg
tsbidle1.jpg (183.96 KiB) Viewed 1671 times
tsbidle2.jpg
tsbidle2.jpg (157.67 KiB) Viewed 1671 times
Specialization is for Insects
brokencase
Level 7
Level 7

Post by brokencase »

After reading through the above the function of the IAC solenoid should now become more clear.

The base idle is set with the throttle blade screw.

However when major loads are applied to the engine, like the a/c activating, the idle will drop.

So the EECIV will compensate and pulse width modulate the IAC solenoid to allow more air to the engine (it will also probably add a bit of fuel as well) in order to maintain a constant idle with the extra load. A/C is the major load but this compensation happens when you turn the steering wheel and the power steering pump loads the engine as well.

Now, with older cars, those with carburetors, they could not do that. If an older car had A/C they would just set the idle higher than normal and live with the wasted fuel when the A/C was not activated.

So IAC solenoids are big fuel savers.
Specialization is for Insects
DPDISXR4Ti
Site Admin

Post by DPDISXR4Ti »

espacef1fan wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 9:42 pm I haven’t opened them, not really sure what I’d be looking for .

I’m assuming the catch code is the ECU code like LA3 /PE etc?
Once you open up the case just look for the two or three blue/green colored capacitors. Google "Ford Capacitor Leak". You'll be reading all day.

The Scorpio catch codes are four characters long - "8GHB" is a common one.
Brad
espacef1fan
Level 5
Level 5

Post by espacef1fan »

DPDISXR4Ti wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 11:17 am
espacef1fan wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 9:42 pm I haven’t opened them, not really sure what I’d be looking for .

I’m assuming the catch code is the ECU code like LA3 /PE etc?
Once you open up the case just look for the two or three blue/green colored capacitors. Google "Ford Capacitor Leak". You'll be reading all day.

The Scorpio catch codes are four characters long - "8GHB" is a common one.

Both of them are 8GHB.
Attachments
A512B89B-2508-4796-B6B6-E2AC30D051F2.jpeg
A512B89B-2508-4796-B6B6-E2AC30D051F2.jpeg (609.84 KiB) Viewed 1648 times
Adam Escott
Dothan, AL
89 XR with Outcast Body in red
Duratec build in progress(need cams and stand-alone)
89 Scorpio. Needs everything :haha
espacef1fan
Level 5
Level 5

Post by espacef1fan »

brokencase wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 10:54 pm The attached Technical Service Bulletin (TSB) was probably already performed on your Scorpio back when it was young.

But the TSB does outline how the idle screw is adjusted. Hope it helps. Steps 8-25.

tsbidle1.jpg
tsbidle2.jpg

Thanks for the info.

I don’t have an emissions sticker or the TSB sticker so I’ve no idea if this has been done.
Adam Escott
Dothan, AL
89 XR with Outcast Body in red
Duratec build in progress(need cams and stand-alone)
89 Scorpio. Needs everything :haha
DPDISXR4Ti
Site Admin

Post by DPDISXR4Ti »

espacef1fan wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 2:22 pm Both of them are 8GHB.
The later one I've got in the car now is a 8GHC. I'm assuming that was the last calibration done for the North American Scorpio. I've never had a stuck high idle since upgrading to that one.

Not sure if you saw but we had a pretty lengthy conversation on this topic here...
http://forum.merkurclub.com/forum/viewt ... 29&t=34262
Brad