J Hose - behing the AC compressor

Scorpio / Scorpio Cosworth Discussions - Questions, problem resolution, general talk, technical tips and modifications.
Merkur Club web site
Bob Weir
Level 7
Level 7

J Hose - behing the AC compressor

Post by Bob Weir »

Scorp Engine ill left J Hose.jpeg
Scorp Engine ill left J Hose.jpeg (279.49 KiB) Viewed 2686 times
I accidentally stumbled upon this old thread.
http://forum.merkurclub.net/forum/viewt ... 29&t=31222

It shows an excellent remedy for the “J” hose that goes behind the AC compressor.

See Brad's photos in posts on July 8, 2022 with hose and July 9th without hose. BAT catalog p 20 ID's it as "J" bypass from water pump to inlet mfld. Brad wrote "I found a set of four caps on eBay - just search for "5/8" & 3/4" Water Pump Heater Core Blockoff Caps Plugs- 4pcs (2ea)". Considering the shape and hose having different ID's at each end, this is practically the only solution when the OEM hose starts leaking. I was able to get a new one when I rebuilt my 2.9 in 2010. I'm willing to label this hose as "unobtainable". Although, Jeff, Russ, Mike or a member might have one stashed somewhere.

I wonder how many Scorpio owners [especially newbes] are aware of this hose.
PeterP11c
Level 2
Level 2

Re: J Hose - behing the AC compressor

Post by PeterP11c »

Well, I am. Spent $ 200.00 replacing it at my local mechanic's shop while searching for the leak in the system. Turned out to be a redundant effort, since the loss of system pressure was caused by loose clamps of hoses at the fire wall leading the heater core. Do remember as those guys complained having to remove the compressor in order to gain access to this hose.
Bob Weir
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Bob Weir »

NOTE

Per Brad's post

Keep in mind, unless you delete the HCV and run coolant through the heater core continuously (as Cleat and myself have outlined in this thread), you can't reasonably just eliminate the J bypass hose and cap off both end.
DPDISXR4Ti
Site Admin

Post by DPDISXR4Ti »

Before I eliminated this hose (see thread that Bob referenced above), this hose was slightly leaking on my car. There's also another fitting down there off the front cover which is capped off from the factory. All are suspect to leaking if we're dealing with 30+ year-old original hoses and clamps. And to make matters fun, as indicated above, all this stuff is very well hidden behind the A/C compressor.

I'm very happy with my conversion to the Ranger front cover and elimination of the HCV.
Brad
brokencase
Level 7
Level 7

Post by brokencase »

Brad - Very often the parts counter person will let you go look through the hose collection and you can find a suitable substitute.
You might have to cut it down, but you are just looking for the right kind of bend. The hose you are talking about does not look too exotic.

I just did this recently to get a 1/2" heater hose for the Triumph GT6 I am restoring.
Specialization is for Insects
Bob Weir
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Bob Weir »

broken
:cheers You must have a very good relationship with your parts supplier to be able to browse their hose collection. It's been a very long time [in my experience] since independents with crusty ancient wooden floors were so accommodating.
DPDISXR4Ti
Site Admin

Post by DPDISXR4Ti »

brokencase wrote: Wed Sep 07, 2022 4:38 pm Brad - Very often the parts counter person will let you go look through the hose collection and you can find a suitable substitute.
You might have to cut it down, but you are just looking for the right kind of bend. The hose you are talking about does not look too exotic.
I eliminated the "J hose" entirely so no need to search for a replacement! :D But yes, on occasion I've found a friendly counterman that lets you look through the hoses. I've found the junkyard is good for that too, if only to ID the hose by application and then go buy a new one.
Brad
Ed Lijewski
Level 8

Post by Ed Lijewski »

DPDISXR4Ti wrote: Thu Sep 08, 2022 11:39 am
brokencase wrote: Wed Sep 07, 2022 4:38 pm Brad - Very often the parts counter person will let you go look through the hose collection and you can find a suitable substitute.
I eliminated the "J hose" entirely so no need to search for a replacement! :D But yes, on occasion I've found a friendly counterman that lets you look through the hoses. I've found the junkyard is good for that too, if only to ID the hose by application and then go buy a new one.
That hose has different dimensions on each end making a match up among parts store stock unlikely although still possible. (I've been given access to hose and other backnroom stock trying to find a match several times, but it helps if that employees know you're a regular customer).

YMMV
Descartes: "Cogito Ergo Sum"
Lijewski: "Sum Ergo Drive-O. Mucho!
brokencase
Level 7
Level 7

Post by brokencase »

Ed Lijewski wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 6:31 pm That hose has different dimensions on each end making a match up among parts store stock unlikely although still possible. (I've been given access to hose and other backnroom stock trying to find a match several times, but it helps if that employees know you're a regular customer).
Not insurmountable Ed, Use a transition barb and splice two different hoses. Don't have a transition barb? Turn it on the lathe. Don't have a lathe? Sorry, you need to get a lathe if you are going to work on old cars:)

I did the "check out the hoses behind the counter thing" very recently. Choose a time when the place is not busy. Approach the counter person with your old hose. Ask them "I have this hose here and I know you don't have the exact part because it is an obscure vehicle. Can I have a look at you hoses to see if I can find something similar that I can adapt?"

Best situation is if there are two counter persons and just you in the store. They don't want to leave the counter unattended while one of them goes back with you to look at the hoses. Also helps to plunk down some other items on the counter that you are also going to buy (like carb cleaner, spray paint), so they know they are going to be wasting time with you.

Worked for me at Advance Auto. Never saw the counter person before this.

Now if you are forward thinking, while looking at the hoses you'll grab a few large hoses with interesting bends in them and of various ID's so you have a stash for future projects.
Specialization is for Insects
Fresh Air Inspector
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Fresh Air Inspector »

Hello Bob,

I'm a little late to the party with my reply. I replaced all the hoses on my Scorpio in April of 2021 and posted the results on the forum (link below). It has a number of 'work-arounds' as well as some excellent forum feedback / ideas. BTW if you do order the hose from Motomobil in Germany (part of the info in the thread link), the Euro - USD exchange rate is quite good at the moment. Motomobil doesn't typically charge VAT on overseas shipments. Having said that it is best to order additional items to spread the shipping costs. You may also want to check if the US has any type of 'tax free' status for parts imported for older vehicles. Here in Canada any parts imported for a vehicle more than 15 years old is duty free (provincial / federal taxes remain applicable).

http://forum.merkurclub.net/forum/viewt ... 9180&hilit

Hope it helps.
Thank you and take care,
Peter
1988 Merkur Scorpio, 1988 Plymouth Caravelle (police package), 1994 Volvo 940 Turbo Wagon, 2011 Hyundai Elantra GLS Touring