Junk yard shopping

Scorpio / Scorpio Cosworth Discussions - Questions, problem resolution, general talk, technical tips and modifications.
Merkur Club web site
brokencase
Level 7
Level 7

Re: Junk yard shopping

Post by brokencase »

Ed Lijewski wrote: Tue Oct 25, 2022 8:49 am Working switch lights look posh while driving at night.
Yep, It's the posh, posh, traveling life, the traveling life for me...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2BzjPukTLoY

Couldn't resist.

Anyhow, if my switch lights go out I will probably replace the lights with LEDs rather than swap in another old switch that will also soon go out. But I agree having a spare switch or two is useful in case you break a switch while refurbing the rest.

Peter if you don't get the whole dryer, at least get the three way pressure switch off the dryer.
Also get the vacuum switch for the torque converter lockup, it is near the air filter....and the EGR pressure sensor which is also nearby.
Specialization is for Insects
PeterP11c
Level 2
Level 2

Post by PeterP11c »

Judging by your description, these ABS sensors might be a tougher job to pull. In the front, the engine rail is accessible but if you pull the wire outwards, is the hole big enough to allow for the connector to pass through? Same with the rear one. Do I need to remove the back seat in order to disconnect the plug? Seems so, and again I have no idea how twisted is the passage way of the wire inside the body frame. The reason I ask about it, because the installation would go in the opposite direction and how do you guide the wire if it goes inside the body channel? Well, silly me, nothing about Scorpio was ever designed to go nice and easy. Looking at my freshly polished spoiler, I know it requires dismantling the hatchback inner panel to access mounting screws. Another weekend struggle.
Peter
Ed Lijewski
Level 8

Post by Ed Lijewski »

It's just a very simple job. How do you think the factory installed them? Yes you have to fish the sensor wires through the frame rail on install; but after you remove a sensor wire you'll understand what to do.

Rear seat tips forward, carpet under seat is pulled up, Voila.

Or admit defeat and buy a set of reman front sensors from Merkur Midwest, while he may still have any (his supply was limited). No one as yet has remanned rear sensors, nor is likely to do so.

YMMV
Descartes: "Cogito Ergo Sum"
Lijewski: "Sum Ergo Drive-O. Mucho!
PeterP11c
Level 2
Level 2

Post by PeterP11c »

OK. Went through the Electrical Manual searching for ABS sensors. Those drawings are pretty descriptive. Comes Saturday, I plan on going to Ontario again, but this time for more targeted picking. Will try to pull the sensors and thank you for the tip on rear ones. I had this kinda crazy idea about dismantling the engine block as it would be nice to have a rebuilt one. Has anyone done an complete engine replacement?
Peter
Ed Lijewski
Level 8

Post by Ed Lijewski »

I've swapped Scorpio engines.

YMMV
PeterP11c
Level 2
Level 2

Post by PeterP11c »

I see. My engine ran over 200K mark already so I prepare myself for this eventuality. Meanwhile, another small step taken: cleaned and installed rubber seal stretching along engine compartment and firewall. Original one was beyond any help, cracked and literally crumbling at my fingers. Instrument cluster and motor vents are next for cleanup, perhaps this one has a working odometer wheel :roll:
Peter
brokencase
Level 7
Level 7

Post by brokencase »

Regarding the EATC and the vent motors...

I have seen one EATC with a blown driver chip. These chips drive the vent/flap motors, There are about five or six of these chips in the EATC and replacements are still available. I bought about ten of them off of ebay.

Replacement is a bit difficult. Mainly because of the difficulty of dismantling the EATC, and then the de-soldering/re-soldering of the part.

Naturally you need to find out why it blew. In my case I had purchased a used EATC and discovered the blown chip when I was replacing the capacitors in the unit.
PeterP11c
Level 2
Level 2

Post by PeterP11c »

I took this EATC as a spare. My original still works just fine. The vent motors are another story. Already replaced the central one, the one on the right is frozen, the one on the left keeps on turning. I will combine this work with the instrument cluster replacement. Both parts require taking the dashboard apart, so it doing it at one time makes sense.
my8950
Level 7
Level 7

Post by my8950 »

Ed Lijewski wrote: Tue Oct 25, 2022 8:49 am There's a sellers market in the XR community for Scorpio hubs (5 bolt versus 4 bolt).
YMMV
But is there?
brokencase
Level 7
Level 7

Post by brokencase »

PeterP11c wrote: Wed Oct 26, 2022 1:44 pm I took this EATC as a spare. My original still works just fine. The vent motors are another story. Already replaced the central one, the one on the right is frozen, the one on the left keeps on turning. I will combine this work with the instrument cluster replacement. Both parts require taking the dashboard apart, so it doing it at one time makes sense.
No problem, just don't be too surprised if your new spare has issues.

Another problem you can run into is the LCD display can go flakey. For this there is no easy resolution other than swapping displays between units.
I have seen fuel computer and overhead console LCDs fail. But I have not seen an EATC LCD fail yet.

But the electrolytic capacitors in the EATC are 35 years old, are drying out, and should be replaced. There are about 5-6 of them.

In case anyone is interested, The part number for the motor drivers inside the EATC is:
Siemens TLE 420ISI it is in an "inline package"

Sadly I did a google search and I can' find any spares available. Glad I was able to get them off of ebay a while ago
EATC_driver.jpg
EATC_driver.jpg (796.66 KiB) Viewed 2931 times
Ed Lijewski
Level 8

Post by Ed Lijewski »

my8950 wrote: Wed Oct 26, 2022 3:25 pm
Ed Lijewski wrote: Tue Oct 25, 2022 8:49 am There's a sellers market in the XR community for Scorpio hubs (5 bolt versus 4 bolt).
YMMV
But is there?
If you have them and advertise occasionally, newcomers to owning XRs wanting broader variety of aftermarket wheels gravitate to swapping in 5x112 Scorpio hubs.

YMMV
PeterP11c
Level 2
Level 2

Post by PeterP11c »

The problem with used parts is that you never know what you get. It may fail immediately or it may last a lifetime. Given the sparsity of Scorpio supply channels, you just accept it as a fact of life. Generally, most of my picks were OK, few developed random faults like headlights switch or speedometer sensor, act up a little, then return to normal. Unless a part fails completely, I keep it, if not repairable, I seek another one. My Scorpio benefited greatly during Covid-19 shutdown as I had time to work on her. This junkyard bonanza is just pure luck as the wreck is black, had many working parts and is relatively close. Appreciate the spoiler a lot, now being clean and polished waiting for the swap.
PeterP11c
Level 2
Level 2

Post by PeterP11c »

Today, was my second and last trip to the junkyard in Ontario. This time, I made a shopping list of items and methodically went one by one. From the engine bay, I got water valve, air bypass valve, TPS sensor, two vacuum modules sitting close to the battery tray. Removed entire driver's door interior panel plus lock actuator and the door handle. Added door radio speaker and moved the the dashboard. Took instrument lights dimmer and pulled blue relay besides door buzzer but it was heat damaged. From the right door, I got exterior mirror unit as mine has a cracked glass so replacement is in order. Just to complete the trip I took front plastic grille, gearbox shifter handle and right door plastic shelf. Looked at ABS sensors but that would take too much time to dismantle. So, I am done for now, spent more money than planned for but it will pay off in the long run. Tomorrow, rear spoiler goes in and hope it will go smoothly. On reflection, if not for a power tool I wouldn't be able to dismantle most parts, as the torque force required was above and beyond the strongest of muscles. :o

Peter
Ed Lijewski
Level 8

Post by Ed Lijewski »

How much, total, did they charge you?

For each haul?

YMMV
PeterP11c
Level 2
Level 2

Post by PeterP11c »

The entry fee was small, just $ 3.00, but the piled environmental fees and warranties which combined with taxes added full third to a bill. Typical California rip off. So I spent $ 345.00 the first time and $ 305.00 yesterday.