Battery terminals useful for Scorpio?

Scorpio / Scorpio Cosworth Discussions - Questions, problem resolution, general talk, technical tips and modifications.
Merkur Club web site
brokencase
Level 7
Level 7

Battery terminals useful for Scorpio?

Post by brokencase »

Given all the connections on the Scorpio's positive battery post I saw these online and thought they might be useful.

https://www.temu.com/2pcs-brass-car-bat ... 36090.html
terminals.jpg
terminals.jpg (84.17 KiB) Viewed 2006 times
Specialization is for Insects
Ed Lijewski
Level 8

Re: Battery terminals useful for Scorpio?

Post by Ed Lijewski »

Descartes: "Cogito Ergo Sum"
Lijewski: "Sum Ergo Drive-O. Mucho!
my8950
Level 7
Level 7

Post by my8950 »

I agree, I think they would be useful, XR as well, not just Scorpio...
They look fancy, hopefully they work well also.
andyofcolumbusmerkur
Level 7
Level 7

Post by andyofcolumbusmerkur »

I like those and the metal lever. The plastic lever versions from the auto parts store only last a couple years until I manage to break off the plastic lever. I have used the set screw style battery terminals on non-merkur stuff in the past (think it was t-spec brand) and they are ok. Just don't go too crazy with the allen wrench because it will crack the soft metal. I'd really like to see someone use all high end marine stuff, like the stuff used in off shore boat racing.
The best way to keep your Kia from being stolen is to not have a Kia.
Ed Lijewski
Level 8

Post by Ed Lijewski »

Notice no installed pics accompany the lever clamp. For other than clean top mount post batteries I don't see how they would even work.
Screenshot_20221215-115745_Lite.jpg
Screenshot_20221215-115745_Lite.jpg (227.98 KiB) Viewed 1933 times
YMMV
Descartes: "Cogito Ergo Sum"
Lijewski: "Sum Ergo Drive-O. Mucho!
brokencase
Level 7
Level 7

Post by brokencase »

Not a problem with my AGM battery. However I did my own alternative solution a while back.

Harbor Freight used to sell a battery terminal set that had a dis-connect on the positive terminal. It was a knob that you just unscrewed. If I was traveling for work and I had to park the Scorpio for a week or two at the airport parking garage I would disconnect the battery with this method,

So on that positive terminal there was a hoIe. I ran a long 1/4" bolt through and ran all the ancillary lugs on that bolt.

It has worked out fine, but the disconnect knob has to be on tight. I've had it only a "little tight" and the car would not crank over. I should probably put a bit of the copper grease on it.
Specialization is for Insects
andyofcolumbusmerkur
Level 7
Level 7

My 89 XR came with a top post group size 58 in it which is totally flat across the top except for the posts. Of course it is not the original battery and didn't fit down into the battery tray completely. I bought a 42-DL Duralast which fits great in that car after I moved the hold down bracket to the inward location and rotate the battery 180 degrees. I think most quick disconnects would work with it but it is not completely flat across the top. Autozone and Walmart recommend that H5 pictured above with those deeply recessed top posts. Probably that way because it is maxed out on dimensions. Someone I knew put that little itty bitty top post (can't remember the size) into an xr because it was the cheapest little battery available at Walmart. Car seemed to be just fine and started up in the dead of winter and got him back and forth to work. I think it was held in with a ratchet strap, not pretty but it worked. I think the next battery I will go with a smaller and lighter XS Power or similar.
andyofcolumbusmerkur
Level 7
Level 7

Also those quick disconnects look like bike wheel quick release skewers. So the lever could face in different directions or even be cut down if needed for certain installations.
DPDISXR4Ti
Site Admin

Post by DPDISXR4Ti »

I considered going with those before I decided to go with the Volvo power distribution bus, as discussed here:
http://forum.merkurclub.net/forum/viewt ... 29&t=41242

Almost anything would be an upgrade from what the factory provided.
Brad