Outer Rear Beam Plate Bolts Loose

XR4Ti / Sierra / Sierra Cosworth Discussions - Questions, problem resolution, general talk, technical tips and modifications.
Merkur Club web site
LITTELHAWK
Level 1
Level 1

Outer Rear Beam Plate Bolts Loose

Post by LITTELHAWK »

When I took the rear beam out of my '87 to replace all of the bushings, the nuts holding both of the outer beam plate bolts (small ones) came loose from the body bracket. I tried using an impact to tighten them back up. That didn't work, so I started cutting a hole under the rear seat to access them for replacement, however, it appears they are under the front bracket for the rear seat. Should I cut a section of that out to replace these bolts? Is there an easier way?

I'm trying not to Frankenstein this car too much, I'd like it to be show worthy.
'85 Mineral Blue & '87 White Barn Find parked in '92
andyofcolumbusmerkur
Level 7
Level 7

Re: Outer Rear Beam Plate Bolts Loose

Post by andyofcolumbusmerkur »

Isn't there a trick or something where you put something down inside the deep well socket, so when you push it up it gets started in the threads?
The best way to keep your Kia from being stolen is to not have a Kia.
LITTELHAWK
Level 1
Level 1

Post by LITTELHAWK »

The bolts never fully came out of the nuts. I just got them loose enough to swing the plate over for the beam to drop before the welds broke loose I guess.
andyofcolumbusmerkur
Level 7
Level 7

Post by andyofcolumbusmerkur »

So you cut a hole under the rear seats for no reason? Maybe you can make that into a special secret trap door. That way rear passengers can dispose of small items when troopers pull you over.
The best way to keep your Kia from being stolen is to not have a Kia.
DPDISXR4Ti
Site Admin

Post by DPDISXR4Ti »

You're talking about the smaller bolts that hold the plate in place, not the long one that goes through the beam bushings, right?

Here's a fix for that...
http://forum.merkurclub.net/forum/viewt ... hilit=beam
Brad
LITTELHAWK
Level 1
Level 1

Post by LITTELHAWK »

I saw that post when I originally searched which is why I originally started cutting under the seat. That is for the long bolt though, correct? My problem is just one short one on both sides of the car.
DPDISXR4Ti
Site Admin

Post by DPDISXR4Ti »

LITTELHAWK wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2019 11:42 pm I saw that post when I originally searched which is why I originally started cutting under the seat. That is for the long bolt though, correct? My problem is just one short one on both sides of the car.
Right, that's just a fix for the single captive nut on each side that fastens the long (~100mm) bolt. You're the first I've ever heard about having an issue with the two fasteners on each side for the plate that overlaps the beam ends. I never even bothered to look at those as a potential problem. It sounds like they are also captive nuts held in place via a splined interference fit.
Brad
cmouta
Level 3
Level 3

Post by cmouta »

I broke one of those welded frame nuts last year when I refreshed my rear suspension. I should have sprayed more PB Blaster in there and worked the bolt back and forth instead of using a breaker bar. :roll: Had to cut the bolt and remove the nut through the small access hole on the side of the frame rail. I think I ended up dropping a bolt through the inside and using a nut/lock washer to tighten it back up. Not ideal but not enough room to get any standard wrench or socket inside. Maybe some heat and a hammer could form the correct angle on a wrench.
Chris
1988 Mono Rosso Red Merkur XR4Ti - Sold!