Manual trans into auto xr

XR4Ti / Sierra / Sierra Cosworth Discussions - Questions, problem resolution, general talk, technical tips and modifications.
Carlisle 2020
milehighXR
Level 7
Level 7

Re: Manual trans into auto xr

Post by milehighXR » Sat Aug 01, 2020 2:20 pm

I know its here somewhere(can't find it in Merkur encyclopedia), and search is failing me.

What wires go where on the 2 switches on the side of this T-5? I know one is reverse lights, and the other should be NSS, right? I ask, because one part of Merkur encyclopedia says t-5 has no NSS, but I have 2 witches on the side of this trans. I also would like to have the NSS functional so that when I turn the car over to the boneheads at the smog nazi station they don't launch the car into the one in front :roll:
Johnny

1 86 XR aka Naomi- my first love, now project car
1 14 black Fiesta SE aka Fiona- my new DD

DCLXVI

andyofcolumbusmerkur
Level 5
Level 5

Post by andyofcolumbusmerkur » Sun Aug 02, 2020 8:44 am

This shows a backup switch as item 7 on page 9
https://www.tremec.com/anexos/TRSM-T5-0510-R1_173.pdf
But then this shows a neutral safety switch also with 2 wires.
https://www.cjponyparts.com/modern-driv ... ayEALw_wcB
I guess you could measure the resistance while going in and out of reverse and neutral and see what happens. I'm guessing a mustang is clutch to the floor safety switch unlike merkur gearbox in N safety switch.
Facebook is not a primary source!

milehighXR
Level 7
Level 7

Post by milehighXR » Sun Aug 02, 2020 12:16 pm

I've got 2 switches on the drivers side of the trans. I did not install a switch on the clutch pedal, I should when I fix up the cruise. I'll probably just use my ohm meter and figure it out. I now the which on is which( I think :lol: ) and figure out the wiring.
Johnny

DCLXVI

milehighXR
Level 7
Level 7

Post by milehighXR » Wed Aug 05, 2020 10:26 am

Something I haven't seen addressed in other swap threads- idle speed. I know most of the swaps are from t9s anyhow so they manual ecus. I'm running an 8ua atm. Should I run my idle speed based on the ecu, or based on the factvtaht I have a manual trans?
Johnny

DCLXVI

john keefe
Level 4
Level 4

Post by john keefe » Wed Aug 05, 2020 12:58 pm

MilehighXR, I'd think running idle RPMs lower than the auto-ECU is calibrated for will screw up idle emissions, especially at altitude. I don't know about EEC-IV workings to say if it will switch to real-time readings as RPMs increase, or if it would be proportionally "off" from idle and up. I'd guess you're running at less-than-optimal HP/TQ calibrations throughout. A stoich meter would tell you more. But if its driveable at your altitude, and you don't have a 5-speed ECU to swap to, then the only thing to worry about is how rigorous your smog tests are.

milehighXR
Level 7
Level 7

Post by milehighXR » Sun Aug 09, 2020 2:23 pm

Tried searching again, and I'm still lost on the wiring. Below are the photos of oe connectors from my c-3 XR. It did run with the 8UA EEC before I started the trans swap.

This connector is the car side, it had a sub harness connected to it that went straight to the C-3 NSS/reverse light switch. Bottom 2 wires are black/light blue stripe. One of these is 12v at KOEO to chassis ground, and to the other 3 wires. I thought, that the bottom 2 would be for the NSS circuit, but if I jump across them the car does not start. I have not tried jumping across any other combo. I can't find a diagram of this connector in any of my service info. I have to look again, but I don't think theres even a diagram of the connector that came off the C-3 NSS/reverse light switch.

This is the connector that goes between the above, and the C-3 NSS/reverse light switch. I've already cut off the end that connects to the C-3 NSS/reverse light switch.

Does anyone have a drawing of what they did when going from a C-3 to T5? I'm thinking temporarily to at least start the car and see it runs still, is to just jump the NDS circuit. I'm just not seeing what needs to go where without the diagram for that connector... In the future I may have to make a new harness for a pedal mounted switch so it's like sons 02 Subaru. You can't start it unless the pedal is on the floor, even with the trans in neutral.

Oh, and it looks(from the service info I have anyhow) like my NSS on the T5 is NFG. It has 6.5 ohms across it in neutral. Service manual says 5 ohms...
Johnny

DCLXVI

john keefe
Level 4
Level 4

Post by john keefe » Mon Aug 10, 2020 12:10 am

According to my schematics, the backup lamp and neutral start switch both connect to an intermediate, round connector with a locating slot/pin inside. This has four wires from the BU-NSS. This intermediate harness connects to your body connector with the oval head/end in your photo.
The wire colors in this intermediate harness are BK/PK, W/P, W/PK, and R/LB. BK/PK and W/P are related to the BU. The W/PK and R/LB are related to the NSS.

From the BU-NSS connector (round head), the BK/PK wire connects to the BK/BL wire at the body connector. This goes to Fuse #5.

From the BU-NSS, with W/P wire is from the BU, and that goes to a BK wire at the body connector, and is your circuit to both reverse lamps.

From the BU-NSS, the W/PK wire mates up to the BK/R wire at the body connector. This eventually goes up to the TFI module. When the circuit is closed at the NSS, this completes the circuit between TFI and coil.

The last wire from the BU-NSS (R/LB) mates to the BK/BL wire at the body connector. This is from the NSS, and goes to a square connector at the ignition switch, which is connected to the EEC.

Hope that helps. Now, my eyes hurt from squinting at a bunch of lines.

milehighXR
Level 7
Level 7

Post by milehighXR » Mon Aug 10, 2020 9:22 am

Yes that makes it betterer. I'll look at evtm, and service manuals again. Do recall which black/blue stripe gets the nss signal? There are 2. And I have to look at my intermediate harness again, but I recall wgite with pink dots/dashes. I hope that's what you mean by white pink.
Johnny

DCLXVI

john keefe
Level 4
Level 4

Post by john keefe » Mon Aug 10, 2020 12:28 pm

Yep, W/PK on the schematic legend is White/Pink, but it doesn't indicate whether its a narrow pink line, or dashed pink. W/P is white and purple. My schematic is for 1986, but it doesn't break it down into auto vs. manual, so I presume the circuits are the same for both (i.e., starting in P or N, or shifting into neutral). When I swapped the 5.0L and T5 into my auto XR, I recall that there wasn't an actual connector end at the NSS, but the two wires with bare clips.