Got my order from McMaster on Saturday, which was a pleasant surprise. Just about perfect:
These are the pieces:
I used an 8mm bolt through a 5/16 ball joint because going metric gave me access to 12.9 allen bolts... but there are part numbers in there for grade 8 hex bolts just in case. The allen obviously worked out great.
My screwup is that I thought a washer between the ball joint and pedal would be sufficient, but it's not. I need an 8mm spacer there. I made one, but I do not have adequately precise tooling to get a good result so I will just go buy something.
I drilled some pilot holes in the firewall using the template:
I realized too late the top hole is about 1mm off, but it's within acceptable margins.
I bought this hole saw for the body of the master cylinder:
It's a BEAST. It ripped through the firewall like butter. I was worried about the difficulty of this part due to cramped quarters, but, man, just never underestimate the value of a good drill bit.
The master cylinder fits perfectly.
About 4mm between it and the booster, but there's no reason they'd rock laterally so that's fine. There is plenty of clearance underneath, and it looks like there is adequate clearance at the end for the pressure line - though I still have the option of feeding it from the top. I'm pretty sure it is gonna be too high to get fluid from the brake fluid reservoir so it will need its own, but there's room for that for sure.
I can't in good conscience just put it back together, so next steps are going to be redoing the brake line that runs to the passenger side, and remaking the fuel feed & return lines. I think that should be pretty straightforward... famous last words.
I'm trying to swap over a GT40 upper and lower tubular intake on my 5.0L, larger TB and Mass Air meter, 24lb injectors, etc., but found there is nothing that really swaps over from the stock intake for vacuum lines. So, I've spent about 4 days worth of spare hobby time fabricating my own vacuum trees, bibs and 3.25" intake pipe. So much for a "2hr job" and I'm still not ready to swap.
Anyway, I fixed up the driver's side wiring harness. TBH, I should have done this a long time ago. I like it going down the wings much better than the frame rails. Away from heat, fluids, etc.
I had to space out the windshield wiper fluid reservoir about an inch, but that was easy enough to do. I seriously contemplated removing it entirely as I have never once in 15 years used it, but meh, it's not space I need.
I then got started replacing the front brake line... 12 or 14 years ago, whenever I install the David Godfrey (RIP) T-bird master cylinder adapter I did a pretty unsatisfactory job of making new brake lines. It's worked fine all these years, but it's not pretty. So I replaced the unpretty steel line with more pretty nicopp/cunifer line:
(Man, look at that steel line... so ugly!)
I picked up some 1/8" neoprene foam:
to make a new seal between the booster & body and the clutch master & body. Next step, I need to get some 1/4" brake line to go from the clutch master to somewhere near the transmission. I could use flex lines all the way, but the less flex line the better IMO. I'm gonna go place a Summit order for the fittings & a fluid reservoir... then I'm probably on hold for a while as it's gonna get pretty rainy here.
My plan is to use an AN to inverted flare fitting at both ends, connected by metal line. One end's AN goes into the master, the other end's AN fitting needs to be within 12" of the transmission input shaft to connect to its flex lines.
I don't know where the reservoir goes yet... That's probably the next major packaging challenge.