Motor mounts + Timing Belt + valve cover compatibility

XR4Ti / Sierra / Sierra Cosworth Discussions - Questions, problem resolution, general talk, technical tips and modifications.
Merkur Club web site
thesameguy
Level 7
Level 7

Re: Motor mounts + Timing Belt + valve cover compatibility

Post by thesameguy »

IDK... Ranger or Mustang parts probably.
thesameguy
Level 7
Level 7

Post by thesameguy »

Grommet free!

New oil cap, too!

I'm crossing my fingers this results in less or no leak... but really not counting on it. ;) It looks nicer, and is a good platform if I ever decide to put in a catch can.
thesameguy
Level 7
Level 7

Post by thesameguy »

Things are looking extraordinary since the new PCV system. Not only has the major leak disappeared, but it seems like even the minor leak I've had for years is lesser. The deflector on the bottom is totally spotless... hopefully this stays good, and I can ignore some maintenance a little longer.

:headbang
John Brennan
Level 8

Post by John Brennan »

It looks like you have no filtering medium in place now for the oil blow-by-- no more "steel wool" in the little canister absorbing the mist (or worse). I have to wonder if this doesn't result in oil in your intake.
This is my car, and these are my people!
2015 Fiesta ST
2020 Edge 2.0 Ecoboost
thesameguy
Level 7
Level 7

Post by thesameguy »

Yep, there is no more separator.

*Probably* this will result in some oil spray but I'm really not worried about it. None of my other turbo cars (Saabs, Volvos, Audis, Jeeps) have such a device and they aren't suffering. However, I used AN fittings so that if I observe a problem I can insert a formal catch can in the path without much work. The reason why I didn't just do that is a) maybe unnecessary complexity, and b) I am not confident I understand the PCV system in this car....I *think* the valve cover breather is bidirectional - under boost (when vacuum is high before the turbo) it's venting for the bottom end, but under vacuum (when vacuum is high in the manifold) it's the fresh air path for the breather on the block. If so, inserting a formal catch can could have some side effects. I'll try KISS, then move on if it's called for.

I will note that the baffle in the valve cover seems like oil getting through should be minimal, although the later/Ranger baffle is better. In fact, the flaw I see in the factory system is that the "baffle" is actually a cup, and the oil that the "steel wool" separates out just ends up in the cup. When I removed my VC, there was literally a pool of oil that drained out. I think I'd rather have the oil spray get sucked up and burned off, rather than just sit there. The Ranger's VC's baffle drains that oil back to the head (which is what Saab/Volvo/Audi/Jeep does).

My hope is that by keeping that PCV hose adjacent to the exhaust manifold it will stay hot, and oil vapor will stay vaporized so as to not become a problem. Time will tell.
my8950
Level 7
Level 7

Post by my8950 »

thesameguy wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 10:22 pm Grommet free!

New oil cap, too!

I'm crossing my fingers this results in less or no leak... but really not counting on it. ;) It looks nicer, and is a good platform if I ever decide to put in a catch can.
I'm looking, but not seeing what you're referring to...
thesameguy
Level 7
Level 7

Post by thesameguy »

That was three years ago!