thermal limiting fuse

XR4Ti / Sierra / Sierra Cosworth Discussions - Questions, problem resolution, general talk, technical tips and modifications.
Merkur Club web site
ShaggyZ
Level 3
Level 3

Post by ShaggyZ »

onebadazzsrt wrote:I did a google search for how to get the motor out, it was pretty easy you just have to cut down the sides of you heater box under the hood, I had it out withing 20 minutes and sealed the box up with some black silicone and it works good. I'll try and snap some pics so you get a better idea of how to do it. But the problem with mine was the bearings were kinda seized thats why the motor wouldn't even move.
that's how I did mine: serrated kitchen knife, dish soap, and some compatible silicone other similar material is all you need.
Josh

'89 XR: T5, 3in -- sold (no more XR's for me)
'77 280Z project
'03 Suzuki SV650S 12.15@108
'99 Suzuki SV650 -- for sale
onebadazzsrt
Level 5
Level 5

Post by onebadazzsrt »

whats the dish soap for?
J

1987 xr with rs500 fiberglass wing,outcast grill,new shoes,5.0 with GT40 package,powerdyne blower 9psi kit,255
ShaggyZ
Level 3
Level 3

Post by ShaggyZ »

onebadazzsrt wrote:whats the dish soap for?
Lubricates the knife against the plastic. It requires significantly less effort that way.
Josh

'89 XR: T5, 3in -- sold (no more XR's for me)
'77 280Z project
'03 Suzuki SV650S 12.15@108
'99 Suzuki SV650 -- for sale
onebadazzsrt
Level 5
Level 5

Post by onebadazzsrt »

Ahhhh!
J

1987 xr with rs500 fiberglass wing,outcast grill,new shoes,5.0 with GT40 package,powerdyne blower 9psi kit,255
zero pistons
Level 4
Level 4

Post by zero pistons »

so i ended up puling the blower motor assembly out of the damn car.

i hooked the orange wire to ground and the black with red stripe to power.

the blower motor should spin then, correct??

mine doesn't.

also, how hard should it be to turn??

mine feels stiff to me.

looks as if water got into it at some point or something.

I cant drive the car with no heat as it is still winter for a few more months...and more suggestions?
Andrew Nicholson
87 XR4Ti, 305000 km. In primerl, t9, Rapido suspension & swaybars, poly bushings, HKS SSQ BOV, Plymouth Laser seats, Custom guages/dash lighting, 2.5" turboback, mk3 Supra intercooler, LA3/large VAM, Nissan Pulsar e-fans.
87 XR4Ti, 181000km. Parts car.
87 RX7 TurboII, 179000km. Needs love.
Ed Lijewski
Level 8

Post by Ed Lijewski »

zero pistons wrote:so i ended up puling the blower motor assembly out of the damn car.

i hooked the orange wire to ground and the black with red stripe to power.

the blower motor should spin then, correct??

mine doesn't.

also, how hard should it be to turn??

mine feels stiff to me.

looks as if water got into it at some point or something.

I cant drive the car with no heat as it is still winter for a few more months...and more suggestions?
Definitely should spin freely. It's a long shot, but try penetrating oil to free the shaft from the bushings in the motor (work it back and forth, gently); if you get it eventually spin freely, lubricate the bushings with light oil, and hope for the best if it works on 12 volt current and you decide to reinstall it.

YMMV
Descartes: "Cogito Ergo Sum"
Lijewski: "Sum Ergo Drive-O. Mucho!
DPDISXR4Ti
Site Admin

Post by DPDISXR4Ti »

zero pistons wrote:also, how hard should it be to turn??
It should spin freely. Sounds like it's time for a replacement.
Brad
zero pistons
Level 4
Level 4

Post by zero pistons »

okay....anyone had any experience in replacing this....?? who can i get one from? how much am i looking at?
Andrew Nicholson
87 XR4Ti, 305000 km. In primerl, t9, Rapido suspension & swaybars, poly bushings, HKS SSQ BOV, Plymouth Laser seats, Custom guages/dash lighting, 2.5" turboback, mk3 Supra intercooler, LA3/large VAM, Nissan Pulsar e-fans.
onebadazzsrt
Level 5
Level 5

Post by onebadazzsrt »

Like said above, I used some pb blaster on the bearings, and some electrical cleaner on the motors brushes, do this with the motor dis-connected to any power supply. Once the blaster works it's way in and it starts to spin, connect it to power and give it a spin with you hand if you have to but be careful it's got some torque for a little motor.
J

zero pistons
Level 4
Level 4

Post by zero pistons »

ok, i'll try that...
Andrew Nicholson
Mike McCreight
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Mike McCreight »

Put it in a vise. Back in my "Newb" days, I fired one up, thought I had it secured. It took off like a rabid squirrel on meth. Quick reflexes and a little luck are all that saved me from injury. :shock:
Look for a reed switch by the brushes. Bypass it. If the brushes are OK, and free in the sleeves, and the braided wires are still attached to said brushes, that's all that's left.
It's not a hobby, it's an obsession!
zero pistons
Level 4
Level 4

Post by zero pistons »

Here is a pic of my old seized blower motor....

Just a thought; does the red wire need to be hooked up to the resistor pack deal to work, or will it work if i hook the wires directly to the battery?

Is the reed switch you are referring to on the plastic connector-thingies with the little springs (brush holders) or on the motor somewhere else?

also, where the little armature attaches to the commutator with the little copper wires, 2 of those wires, exactly opposite one another, are broken. It feels like there is a burr on each one, so maybe i's where they snipped the wire when they assembled it? Because if it got hot enough to melt the wire, i would expect a little ball at the end instead of a burr....if it isn't supposed to be broken, then save me the time of trying to make this one work.....anyone able to take a look at theirs?

my brush holders are corroded away a little, but i should be able to clean them up ok and still get contact where the wire protrudes from the back.....

I'm afraid of the call to rapido tomorrow to see what the want for a tested unit...lol.
Andrew Nicholson
onebadazzsrt
Level 5
Level 5

Post by onebadazzsrt »

Try sitting down while you make the call. LOL
seriously though if you would have seen the way mine looked you would have thought it belonged in the trash, a little elbow greese and it was working, just put the wire that goes to the resistor on the positive side of a battery or jump box or what ever you have and the other goes to the negative, give it a couple turns with your hand and be carefull because if it's not in a vise or vise grips the thing will take off.
J

zero pistons
Level 4
Level 4

Post by zero pistons »

I'll let you know how it turns out tomorrow.
Andrew Nicholson
zero pistons
Level 4
Level 4

Post by zero pistons »

ok im pretty much at a loss now.....the blower motor is freed up, a lot of liquid wrench and a few whacks with a small hammer from the end and it spins fine.

I sandpapered the commutator and the brushes and cleaned everything with contact cleaner, put the brushes back onto the motor, went out to the garage, hooked it up, and NOTHING HAPPENED AGAIN.....am i missing something?

It isn't even trying to spin. no electrical smell, no sparks, no nothing....help!!

i really can't afford a new one and would hate to have the car sit for another 3 weeks because the heat won't work...

the brush holder on the + side has 2 prongs on the back of it, do i need to bridge these to get it to go?

what do you mean about the brushes being free in the sleeves?
Andrew Nicholson