XR4Ti Change Delineation Thread

XR4Ti / Sierra / Sierra Cosworth Discussions - Questions, problem resolution, general talk, technical tips and modifications.
Merkur Club web site
_86_sc
Level 1
Level 1

Post by _86_sc »

Here is something interesting, I have a 1987 XR4ti that I just bought from Wisconsin (it has a build date of 11/86) it has the joystick fader radio, power antenna on the rear quarter and it has the oil level sensor on the dipstick. The car has only 65xxx miles on it and is 95% original
DPDISXR4Ti
Site Admin

Post by DPDISXR4Ti »

_86_sc wrote:Here is something interesting, I have a 1987 XR4ti that I just bought from Wisconsin (it has a build date of 11/86) it has the joystick fader radio, power antenna on the rear quarter and it has the oil level sensor on the dipstick. The car has only 65xxx miles on it and is 95% original
I happen to have the actual VIN tag from a 9/86-built '87 here in front of me as I type this - I got a few things from the car, most noteworthy, the T-9. Indeed it was the older '85/6 type of T-9 withOUT the removeable plate for the front seal. So yes, few things were hard-sync'd with the model year cut-off - mostly just the very obvious stuff like wheels, wings, etc.

FWIW, the power antenna lingered on until at least 3/87.
Brad
coupelx
Level 2
Level 2

Post by coupelx »

dunno if this was covered but after reading the main list i have something to note.

the t9 i pulled out of my 86 parts car had the weight and the air scoop.
1987 Xr4ti
milehighXR
Level 7
Level 7

Post by milehighXR »

merkurdriver wrote:This thread had been started to help update the Quickfacts section of the MCA site: http://www.merkurclub.com/mca_pub/merku ... kfacts.htm(I think), so how about an update to the # of XR4Ti ?

Where did this information come from? Its off by a few thousand... it lists Total XR4Ti: 42,464

When the actual # of XR4Ti built is 45,368.
Yes, but this number is almost worthless without knowing how many remain on the road today.
Johnny

1 86 XR aka Naomi- my first love, now daily driven project

DCLXVI
merkurdriver
Level 8

Post by merkurdriver »

milehighXR wrote: Yes, but this number is almost worthless without knowing how many remain on the road today.
Who wants to start the guessing? I'd say 7,500 XRs and maybe 4,000 Scorpios. Being very generous, those #'s would be cloder to how many left in existance, not actually "on the road".
milehighXR
Level 7
Level 7

Post by milehighXR »

Who wants to guess? I want hard data. I have suggested on more than one occasion that the MCA sponsor an effort to determine how many are actually registered. I can account for a total of 12-14 cars(2 Scorps, and the rest XRs) in CO that I know of. However, I believe that since registrations are "public" record, that we should be able to compile the info from the DMVs of each state. In theory, not difficult, but it will take time, and at least one member to collect the data in each state.

I'll even go so far as to volunteer my time to collect the data for CO, and WY. I just need sponsorship form the MCA(read cash).

I mean comon, even the Mushstang crowd has this info for the umpteen billions of those built the first year out :poke

My guess, is that there are no more than a total, of 5000 cars remaining. 250 of which are Scorpios...
Johnny

1 86 XR aka Naomi- my first love, now daily driven project

DCLXVI
idahomerkur

Post by idahomerkur »

i know of about 15 daily driver xr4tis and 1 scorpio in nampa-boise idaho
merk23literturbo
Level 7
Level 7

Re: XR4Ti Change Delineation Thread

Post by merk23literturbo »

I have 2 88 XR's. One is 2/22(5 speed) build and the other is 3/23(auto) build date.
The 2/22 one has a two piece speedo cable that disconnects just behind the false firewall. You have to disconnect it there to remove the speedo cluster. The speed sensor is attached to front of the false firewall.
The 3/23 one has a 1 piece cable with the speed sensor attached at the back of the speedo cluster. Then you can disconnect the speed sensor from the speedo cluster when you pull it out far enough with the short cable connected.
Last edited by merk23literturbo on Sat Sep 17, 2011 2:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
German engineer: We custom fit every part in the Porsche engine.
Japanese engineer: You mean that you make every part wrong to begin with?
DPDISXR4Ti
Site Admin

Post by DPDISXR4Ti »

merk23literturbo wrote:I have 2 88 XR's. One is 2/22(5 speed) build and the other is 3/23(auto) build date.
The 2/22 one has a two piece speedo cable that disconnects just behind the false firewall. You have to disconnect it there to remove the speedo cluster. Then you can disconnect the speed sensor from the speedo cluster when you pull it out far enough.
The 3/23 one has a 1 piece cable with the speed sensor attached at the back of the speedo cluster. Then you can disconnect the speed sensor from the speedo cluster when you pull it out far enough with the short cable connected.
Are you sure you don't have those dates reversed Don? The false-firewall mounted VSS was indeed a mid-year ('88) change that roughly (perhaps exactly?) coincided with the change to the 150MPH speedo face. And if anything, I'd found that the C3 equipped cars got the 150MPH speedo just ahead of the T9 cars. I don't have the exact build date for my car, but going by the VIN sticker, it's a 3/88 build and still had the 85MPH speedo and one-piece cable.

It could very well be that there wasn't a clear date-break for this change.
Brad
merk23literturbo
Level 7
Level 7

Brad, Fixed, thanks.
merk23literturbo
Level 7
Level 7

Both the 2/22 5 speed and the 3/23 auto came with 150 MPH speedo's.
zero pistons
Level 4
Level 4

Post by zero pistons »

did the canadian market ever get an 85mph/135kmh speedo or not? I have a 4/87 and a 6/87 and both my speedos go to 240 kmh.

oh, and i see all these odometers with only five spaces. both of mine have six.
Andrew Nicholson
87 XR4Ti, 305000 km. In primerl, t9, Rapido suspension & swaybars, poly bushings, HKS SSQ BOV, Plymouth Laser seats, Custom guages/dash lighting, 2.5" turboback, mk3 Supra intercooler, LA3/large VAM, Nissan Pulsar e-fans.
87 XR4Ti, 181000km. Parts car.
87 RX7 TurboII, 179000km. Needs love.
Zaphod
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Zaphod »

Something minor I noticed on my 88 that is definitely different than the 10/87 car I used to own. The door opening weatherstrips wrap over the headliner and trim panels that surround the door opening. This probably occurred in conjunction with the interlocking kick and scuff panels.
Some days, it's just not worth chewing through the restraints.

1988 Crystal Blue XR4Ti
MerkurManPaul
Level 1
Level 1

Post by MerkurManPaul »

Here's some "for what it's worth information" that I think is kind of interesting.

My '86 XR is azure blue with saxe blue cloth interior. This color combo is supposed to be unique to 1987, but nonetheless mine is an '86. However, the build date is 6/86, so it's one of the final '86 model year cars made. Another interesting thing is despite the fact the saxe blue interior was introduced for the 1987 model year, my car has the older center speaker dashboard.

I know Jeff Herson restored an '86 azure blue XR but I don't know the specifics on the car.
-PM (formerly MerkurScorpio)
2015 Ford Fiesta SE
otis147
Level 2
Level 2

Post by otis147 »

Interlocking method of kick panel and rock panel trim (87?)
I have one of each (dont know how) in my car, it's an (don't have build date, PO decided to paint over it and remove door sticker) 88, the side that has a notch fits, the other side does not have a notch and will not fit.