Mustang Gas Tank Install (PICTURE HEAVY)

XR4Ti / Sierra / Sierra Cosworth Discussions - Questions, problem resolution, general talk, technical tips and modifications.
passatboy02

Mustang Gas Tank Install (PICTURE HEAVY)

Post by passatboy02 » Mon Oct 14, 2013 11:06 pm

I hope this thread will help other install Mustang gas/fuel tanks into their XR4Ti.

The reason I decided to go with the Mustang tank was because I could obtain everything for just under $300 with a good amount of the parts being brand new.

Parts Needed
83-97 Ford Mustang gas tank
Fuel pump
Fuel pump unit for above gas tank
Fuel level sending unit for above tank (I am just using it to fill that hole in the tank for now) the Mustang one does not work with the Merkur fuel gauge.
Level sending unit and fuel pump unit plugs off of 83-97 Mustang (easy to find junk yard part)
Breather for top of Mustang tank (easy to find junk yard part)
Gasket for fuel filler neck into the gas tank (easy to find junk yard part but recommend buying a new one) A.K.A. Vapor Valve Seal
Fuel filler neck for Mustang (easy to find junk yard part) this may not be necessary, but the rust from my Merkur gas tank had spread into the filler neck so I decided to replace it.
Fuel hose to fit around filler neck (It should be 2-1/4") I had some laying around and it fit perfectly
2 hose clamps for above fuel hose
2 longer bolts for fuel tank straps (twice as long as stock with same thread pitch which seemed like M10)
Ford fuel line repair kit (package shown below)

The inside of my original tank which needed to be replaced.

The corn dog, I mean fuel pump and level sending unit.

The new tank with level sending unit in and breather.

Mustang plugs for fuel pump and level sending unit

All set up from some of the original padding from the stock tank

Notice how the one fuel line is larger than the other. This is why the fuel line repair kit was required. I replaced the line at the pump and cut the existing line and spliced the 2 together. Everything need for this came in the kit below.

Plugs connected

Splicing the fuel pump unit wires to the Merkur wires. Brown to brown and black with pink/red stripe to black with pink/red stripe. These are the 2 thicker wires that are on the 3 prong plugs from the Merkur. Take this time to fix your rusted thru exhaust with the gas tank out of the way.

Cut the filler neck just above the bend so that you can slide the fuel hose onto it without fighting to get it around too much of a bend. Don't forget to slide on the 2 hose clamps before sliding the hose into place.

Larger fuel line on fuel pump unit

Let me know if you guys have any questions.
Nick

In XS 7
Level 7
Level 7

Re: Mustang Gas Tank Install (PICTURE HEAVY)

Post by In XS 7 » Tue Oct 15, 2013 2:37 am

:thumb Nice job. :cheers
Miguel.
89 XR4Ti Monique; Waking up a real "Night/Mare-Coor".
T5, NPR IC, PIMP ECU, Walbro 255, Dual piston BOV, Manual BC, 3" exhaust, One piece Aluminum drive-shaft, mc2 LSD, Boport 1.5 cam, Ported and polish head, big valves, 80# injectors, Bob's log, (soon HY35).

Zaphod
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Zaphod » Tue Oct 15, 2013 11:40 am

Great Writeup!
Some days, it's just not worth chewing through the restraints.

1988 Crystal Blue XR4Ti

midwestmike

Post by midwestmike » Wed Oct 16, 2013 10:59 am

Any pics with the tank installed? Did the stock fuel tank hangers work?

passatboy02

Post by passatboy02 » Wed Oct 16, 2013 11:43 am

midwestmike wrote:Any pics with the tank installed? Did the stock fuel tank hangers work?
I will get some pics of it installed. I used the stock straps with a little bending to make them fit around the new tank and to get the bolt hole alligned with the hole.
Nick

In XS 7
Level 7
Level 7

Post by In XS 7 » Wed Oct 16, 2013 11:59 am

Can we use the same walbro fuel pump in the XR stock fuel sender unit and the Mustang fuel sender unit? or we have to get a different walbro?
:cheers
Miguel.
T5, NPR IC, PIMP ECU, Walbro 255, Dual piston BOV, Manual BC, 3" exhaust, One piece Aluminum drive-shaft, mc2 LSD, Boport 1.5 cam, Ported and polish head, big valves, 80# injectors, Bob's log, (soon HY35).

jkxr4ti
Level 6
Level 6

Post by jkxr4ti » Wed Oct 16, 2013 12:43 pm

Interesting write up. Doing a little digging here are some values for common fuel senders:

It looks like the merkur sender according to Merk Encyclopedia is 19(Full)-250(empty) Ohms

You might be able to use a universal sender unit and swap the resistor unit over to the mustang unit.
Merkur....Its German for Mutt....Mustang, Saab, Volvo, Lincoln, Contour, Cummins... and the list goes on.

Jeremy Kemp

1988 XR4Ti Chestnut Brown/Spice Leather
MC2 Coilovers and Bushings, Contour Rims and Rotors, Ported Motorsport Head, Cosworth 4x4 Intercooler, Holset HY35 Turbo, 80LB Injectors, Megasquirt2 EFI

In XS 7
Level 7
Level 7

Post by In XS 7 » Wed Oct 16, 2013 1:52 pm

I think I will use a mustang sending unit with a mustang gas tank, but my concern is about the fuel pump; :cheers can we use the same walbro from an XR and put it in the mustang tank wit the mustang fuel sender unit?
Also I will need to switch the fuel gauge at the cluster and use a mustang gauge right? If yes; that will be awesome, since there is a lot of nice looking gauges and many options for mustangs. :cheers
Miguel.

passatboy02

Post by passatboy02 » Wed Oct 16, 2013 5:43 pm

In XS 7 wrote:I think I will use a mustang sending unit with a mustang gas tank, but my concern is about the fuel pump; :cheers can we use the same walbro from an XR and put it in the mustang tank wit the mustang fuel sender unit?
Also I will need to switch the fuel gauge at the cluster and use a mustang gauge right? If yes; that will be awesome, since there is a lot of nice looking gauges and many options for mustangs. :cheers
I ordered my Walbro fuel pump from MC2Racing, which was for an XR4Ti. There were a lot of spare parts left over after I installed it into the Mustang fuel sender unit though, so you could get away with just ordering a universal pump kit. I had bought the Walbro before I had found out that my gas tank was trash.

I am looking into the idea of making a fox body Mustang fuel gauge work in my stock XR4Ti cluster while trying to fix my Tach which seems to be reading at half of the actual RPM.
Nick

In XS 7
Level 7
Level 7

Post by In XS 7 » Thu Oct 17, 2013 3:36 am

Thank you very much, I think I will do this upgrade after winter. Great write up, again thanks. :cheers
Miguel.

passatboy02

Post by passatboy02 » Mon Oct 21, 2013 7:29 am

Here's the longer bolts that were used on the gas tank straps. The bolts were the same length on both sides.

This shows that the one strap lines up with the passenger side indent of the Mustang tank, but not the driver's side.

Here is a shot of the filler neck.

Nick

my8950
Level 5
Level 5

Post by my8950 » Sat Sep 24, 2016 10:00 pm

How is this working out now?
I notice in the photos that you didn't put the plastic cover on the tank that is usually on the Mustang.

dkig4730

Post by dkig4730 » Mon Sep 26, 2016 6:06 pm

I'm no help on the mustang tank swap but I was able to remove the rust in my xr fuel tank that was just as bad as the one pictured through the process of electrolysis. It work real well and I'm currently running the car with it. The walbro pump could be retrofitted to in the stock sending unit with some ambition its all been done before.