Contemplating manual steering conversion...

XR4Ti / Sierra / Sierra Cosworth Discussions - Questions, problem resolution, general talk, technical tips and modifications.
Merkur Club web site
Longitudinal
Level 3
Level 3

Contemplating manual steering conversion...

Post by Longitudinal »

Bear with me, guys, as I get reacquainted.

As part of considering an LS swap, I am thinking about the various conflicts between the GM and Ford organs. Power steering may be one of those conflicts. I am used to manual steering, and am considering a manual conversion. I have read about using Fiero racks. But I am thinking about manualizing the stock rack.

With that said, I don't know what the guts of a power rack are like and how they differ from a manual rack other than power racks typically having quicker ratios. I know that there are valves at the input of the rack that perform some magic to cause the pump to help you turn the wheel.

I am thinking about gutting PS components from the rack, packing it with grease, and making it manual. Crazy idea?
Longitudinal
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Contemplating manual steering conversion...

Post by Longitudinal »

I found this link about doing the procedure I have in mind for a Ford Probe rack. I'm sure the racks are dissimilar, but the principle is the same.
Esteban
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Esteban »

If you are looking to de-power your stock rack, i followed this when I did it a few years ago. https://www.flyinmiata.com/tech/depower.php
I've since put it back in cause I lost time at the autox. I dont think Brett deleted his when he did he LS2 swap. And you may also want to look into a EHPS conversion. It's something i'm working on with an MR2 pump.
merkurdriver
Level 8

Post by merkurdriver »

If you want to make life easier I have used and new manual steering racks on hand FYI.

The bummer about the manual racks was that the ratio was pretty slow, but now there are brand new parts to convert it to 2.7 :
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Ford-Sierra-2- ... -o&vxp=mtr
Longitudinal
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Longitudinal »

merkurdriver wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2017 12:21 pm If you want to make life easier I have used and new manual steering racks on hand FYI.

The bummer about the manual racks was that the ratio was pretty slow, but now there are brand new parts to convert it to 2.7 :
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Ford-Sierra-2- ... -o&vxp=mtr
Yeah, manual is always slower IME, and for good reason. What are your prices on new and used manual racks? I agree that it would be easier, but working with what I have is certainly cheaper.
merkurdriver
Level 8

Post by merkurdriver »

Working with what you have will cost less for sure. Manual racks with the stock slow ratio are $250 and up. Then if you wanted to go to a quicker ratio there would be the added cost of buying that new gear, etc.
I've seen the stock rack "de powered" many times...
Longitudinal
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Longitudinal »

merkurdriver wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2017 12:06 pm Working with what you have will cost less for sure. Manual racks with the stock slow ratio are $250 and up. Then if you wanted to go to a quicker ratio there would be the added cost of buying that new gear, etc.
I've seen the stock rack "de powered" many times...
$400 (manual rack plus quick gearing) for darn near the same work (disassembling and reassembling rack) as working with what I have, which is already quick ratio, doesn't make enough sense to me. But thank you for presenting the option.
Esteban
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Esteban »

Talk to Brett first. He wanted a comfy car and wouldnt have given up something like power steering.
DPDISXR4Ti
Site Admin

Post by DPDISXR4Ti »

I've been running a "redneck manual steering" on the Brat for a couple years now. It's just a stock TRW rack with the hydraulic lines open to filtered atmosphere. I do plan to go back to power steering, hopefully with a Saginaw pump as donated from a Focus. I've gathered the parts, just need to implement.

A cooler option would be the MR2 electronic power steering as mentioned above. There's a thread on that in here.
Brad
Longitudinal
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Longitudinal »

DPDISXR4Ti wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2017 11:24 am I've been running a "redneck manual steering" on the Brat for a couple years now. It's just a stock TRW rack with the hydraulic lines open to filtered atmosphere. I do plan to go back to power steering, hopefully with a Saginaw pump as donated from a Focus. I've gathered the parts, just need to implement.

A cooler option would be the MR2 electronic power steering as mentioned above. There's a thread on that in here.
These days, there are many potential donors for electric power steering. Toyota stuff is probably the best because Toyota stuff is almost always the best.

But I like manual steering. I also like emptying out the engine bay.
DPDISXR4Ti
Site Admin

Post by DPDISXR4Ti »

Longitudinal wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2017 12:09 pm But I like manual steering. I also like emptying out the engine bay.
Oh, I prefer a minimalized engine bay as well; that's why I also went with my manual "conversion". But it's just not very friendly in more scenarios than I even envisioned.

I'm sure there are other electronic options available now which *may* be "better". But sometimes the older solutions are better for a retrofit as they are very self-contained. Saab's old APC system reminds me of this, where you could transplant their knock-sensed boost control onto most any other engine.
Brad
timxr8
Level 5
Level 5

Post by timxr8 »

The real advantage to the Toyota units, really just the MR2 Spyder, is the unit is self contained and self controlled. The computer does utilize the CANBUS for monitoring, but that is it. THe computer is mounted on it and has a power and ground to get it running, then a standard square signal speed sensor signal can be utilized to have a speed based assist. Basically, it'll just remove any power after ~30mph. Can't remember what it is. This is all over the electric car forums for guys converting to electric motors to drive the car.
Tim Spencer
1988 XR4Ti Duratec project car
2011 Taurus SHO daily driver...not stock.
milehighXR
Level 7
Level 7

Post by milehighXR »

DPDISXR4Ti wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2017 11:24 am I've been running a "redneck manual steering" on the Brat for a couple years now. It's just a stock TRW rack with the hydraulic lines open to filtered atmosphere. I do plan to go back to power steering, hopefully with a Saginaw pump as donated from a Focus. I've gathered the parts, just need to implement.

Hey Brad,

How many miles you get on the "manual" rack before it seized up from lack of grease?
Johnny

1 86 XR aka Naomi- my first love, now daily driven project

DCLXVI
DPDISXR4Ti
Site Admin

Post by DPDISXR4Ti »

milehighXR wrote: Thu Jan 30, 2020 11:09 pm How many miles you get on the "manual" rack before it seized up from lack of grease?
It was totally fine for the duration that I ran it that way. Switched it back to powered last year when I got the Saginaw pump installation done. I am very happy with the Saginaw install.
Brad
thesameguy
Level 7
Level 7

Post by thesameguy »

My Saab ran redneck power steering for the last 12 or 13 years without incident. Just a little fluid in the bowels and the hoses looped back to each other.