SHOW ME YOUR FUEL PRESSURE GAUGE!!!

XR4Ti / Sierra / Sierra Cosworth Discussions - Questions, problem resolution, general talk, technical tips and modifications.
Merkur Club web site
thesameguy
Level 7
Level 7

SHOW ME YOUR FUEL PRESSURE GAUGE!!!

Post by thesameguy »

SO ANGRY.

It really upsets me when it's easier to do something on a Saab than on a Ford. That just doesn't make sense. But I wanted to install a fuel pressure gauge on my SPG and all I needed was a $12 fitting. Fuel pressure gauge on an XR4Ti? $1,000,000.

The options I have found:

1. Build something between the chassis fuel pipe and the fuel rail, consisting of something like a pair of quick connect -> AN fittings, and then an inline AN->NPT adapter. Cost on this is around $80 - I have the tools necessary to build the AN hose.
2. Buy an inline quick connect->NPT adapter like this https://www.skspeed.com/aeromotive-1512 ... -1-8-port/ for $60
3. Buy an adapter that screws onto the fuel rail's Shraeder valve and has an NPT port on the other side. This is not the right thing, but similar to the right thing: https://www.hawksmotorsports.com/lsx-ls ... ure-gauge/ and ends up being like $50.
4 .Buy an aftermarket fuel rail that has a provision for a fuel pressure gauge, but would require me to rebuild all the plumbing to and from it.

I don't think I'll really get away from #2 (maybe #1?) but I hate placing the fuel pressure gauge that far away from the rail. I suppose I don't really care about *exact* pressure and really just want to see trends, but still, right is right.

Am I missing any other approaches?

Edit: I will add that #1 is somewhat attractive to me, as I ditched the fuel damper a long time ago and haven't ever been real happy with the hose between the chassis and fuel rail anyway. Maybe this is an opportunity to fix that.

And some -6 AN hose...
my8950
Level 7
Level 7

Re: SHOW ME YOUR FUEL PRESSURE GAUGE!!!

Post by my8950 »

You're looking online at all these fancy fittings. I did the same, and then went to my local Parker store and bought the 1/8" pipe adapter for about $8, then fit a barb on one end, a fuel hose with a pressure transducer, and then hooked my gauge to it. Overall cost was about $40, that is including the gauge, although I bought it from guy who bought the entire gauge setup just for the autometer transducer. I don't have any photos on hand, but I can send some if you're really interested...
timandsam
Level 4
Level 4

Post by timandsam »

Pretty sure that the fitting that the schrader valve is attached to on the fuel rail is 1/8 NPT...

I used to have a mechanical fuel pressure gauge there on my setup.
Mono Silver 85 XR4Ti: Ported Head| Ported Intakes|Schneider Roller Cam|Big NPR IC|3” Exhaust|Ported E6|Walbro 255|PiMP|80lb injectors|HE341|Alkycontrol|T5Z
my8950
Level 7
Level 7

Post by my8950 »

timandsam wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:37 am Pretty sure that the fitting that the schrader valve is attached to on the fuel rail is 1/8 NPT...

yes, 1/8" NPT
John Brennan
Level 8

Post by John Brennan »

thesameguy wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 7:14 pm SO ANGRY.

It really upsets me when it's easier to do something on a Saab than on a Ford. That just doesn't make sense.
Funny you should mention it... every time I work on my '01 Z3 3.0, I marvel at how easy it is, and how the car "cooperates" with one's attempts to do maintenance. So far, I've repaired a sagging glovebox (which involves R/R of same, and surrounding trim), installed new motor mounts, and replaced the lower control arm bushings-- all of which was very easy, a lot easier than doing similar things to the XR. It's almost as if the car was designed to be worked on.. hmmm... :dunno
This is my car, and these are my people!
2015 Fiesta ST
2020 Edge 2.0 Ecoboost
thesameguy
Level 7
Level 7

Post by thesameguy »

timandsam wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:37 am Pretty sure that the fitting that the schrader valve is attached to on the fuel rail is 1/8 NPT...

Wait, that shraeder is removable? I've seriously never looked.
thesameguy
Level 7
Level 7

Post by thesameguy »

my8950 wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:20 am You're looking online at all these fancy fittings. I did the same, and then went to my local Parker store
Yeah, brass fittings just aren't my style. I have one on the DG thermostat housing and it hurts me every time I look at it. :(
timandsam
Level 4
Level 4

Post by timandsam »

thesameguy wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 11:47 am

Yeah, it definitely comes off. Now thinking it might be 1/16npt. But there are adapters to make it 1/8npt. However, FWIW, it was near impossible to see with the stock facing intake and went bad in about 2 months (not a cheapie either) but was not a liquid filled gauge.
Mono Silver 85 XR4Ti: Ported Head| Ported Intakes|Schneider Roller Cam|Big NPR IC|3” Exhaust|Ported E6|Walbro 255|PiMP|80lb injectors|HE341|Alkycontrol|T5Z
my8950
Level 7
Level 7

Post by my8950 »

timandsam wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 8:14 am
thesameguy wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 11:47 am

Yeah, it definitely comes off. Now thinking it might be 1/16npt. But there are adapters to make it 1/8npt. However, FWIW, it was near impossible to see with the stock facing intake and went bad in about 2 months (not a cheapie either) but was not a liquid filled gauge.
Even better correct, the fuel rail side is 1/16NPT, the other side is 1/8NPT. It's a small adapter fitting. See the link below...

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/atm- ... qwQAvD_BwE
thesameguy
Level 7
Level 7

Post by thesameguy »

That's amazing news. I'll use an electronic gauge so I can watch it from the cabin. All I need is a 1/8" NPT hole to put the transducer, and this solves that. Super!
thesameguy
Level 7
Level 7

Post by thesameguy »

Yep, sure enough there's a tiny little NPT fitting for the shraeder!

jkxr4ti
Level 7
Level 7

Post by jkxr4ti »

This kit from Jegs works great on our fuel rail. It spaces the gauge high enough to clear the rail. Using the side position points it toward the fender for easy viewing. Been using one of these on my car for quite a few years. If you prefer not to have the brass finish you can always paint it.
https://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS/555/41016/10002/-1
Jeremy Kemp

RIP: the Mutt….1988 XR4Ti Chestnut Brown/Spice Leather
MC2 Coilovers and Bushings, Contour Rims and Rotors, Ported Motorsport Head, Cosworth 4x4 Intercooler, Holset HY35 Turbo, 80LB Injectors, Megasquirt2 EFI
thesameguy
Level 7
Level 7

Post by thesameguy »

I will definitely do an electric gauge. On boosted cars fuel pressure is way more dynamic than NA cars, and I think it's important to ensure boost referencing is behaving itself, which means having the gauge in the cockpit.
Mike McCreight
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Mike McCreight »

I put an Autometer mechanical unit in, with the isolator.
On Autometer, never again. The quality and more important, service is NOT what it used to be.
Yes, it adapts into the Schrader fitting, common Aeroquip part, IIRC.
It's not a hobby, it's an obsession!