Manual trans into auto xr

XR4Ti / Sierra / Sierra Cosworth Discussions - Questions, problem resolution, general talk, technical tips and modifications.
Merkur Club web site
milehighXR
Level 7
Level 7

Manual trans into auto xr

Post by milehighXR »

I know its been done, and I'm reading thru forum posts now. Here's the skinny:

My 86 xr has not passed smog since 2010. I took the car off the road in 2012 due to what I thought atnbthe time was a bad c3 trans. It turned out to be an exhaust that separated at a joint that made me think the trans was dead. Fast forwards to 2017 when I started trying to pass smog again after sitting for 5yrs. The trans had absorbed a ton of moisture so I had to change trans oil 2 times before I got the trans shifting right. Then I had to replace the VB gaskets and low reverse servo gasket. Next the pan would not seal for nuthin. Tried flattening it, gasket maker, everything short of welding the pan onto the case. Now I think the pan finally holds oil, its making noise even though she should be full. Have not run diagnosis on the trans yet, but I am going to put a manual in it at some point simply because she won't be driven enough to keep an auto.

My XR has a 02-07-1986 build date, and the crossmember for the trans mount is 12.75" wide overall, not between centers of the slots.
Last edited by milehighXR on Sun Dec 29, 2019 12:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Johnny

1 86 XR aka Naomi- my first love, now daily driven project

DCLXVI
milehighXR
Level 7
Level 7

Re: Manual trans into auto xr

Post by milehighXR »

Like I said, manual trans is next step at some point, however I'm leaning towards soonerer rather than laterer, simply because if the c3 has to come out, i dont really wanna put it back. I know a T9 will be quick dirty and easy, but also only good to 350hp unless I get really spendy on parts from the UK, not that I expect to hit much more than 350hp anytime soon. I have a pedal, cable, pawl, and quadrant for the T9 already. If these can be used with the T5, I may look into the camarobird T5 as I know its shifter is location is perfect for the xr(dunno which years though), assuming I can do that for as cheap as T9.

Assuming I can get T9 for $250.00, and the other bits I need, fork, pressure plate, clutch kit, and anything I missed(I have a drive shaft for T9) for another $300.00 or so I'd go that route.

How much does a typical T5 conversion cost? Will it be less than the T9?
Last edited by milehighXR on Tue Jul 16, 2019 9:36 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Johnny

DCLXVI
my8950
Level 7
Level 7

Post by my8950 »

If you're starting from scratch, I'd say that cost would be about the same, maybe a little less actually. The T5 is easier to find that the T9, and there are more parts available for them...Otherwise you need just about all the same stuff.
reddy2300
Level 4
Level 4

Post by reddy2300 »

And you'll actually save money because the C3 and T5 use the same speedo cable.
1987 XR4ti--Mustang Cobra 5.0/T5 transmission, AFR heads, fake BBS wheels, Koni Yellows, Rapido sway bars, poly/aluminum bushes, Eurolights, Sierra rear/Focus front discs,
milehighXR
Level 7
Level 7

Post by milehighXR »

I may actually have a speedo cable for a T9 that needs repair, I have to look thru my parts stash again. I have to check my extra driveshaft, but as I recall it is from a T9 equipped XR, so that should reduce cost, and headache balancing a one piece DS.

I should be able to use the C3 trans mount with a T9 right?

Like I said above, I think the only things I am missing, are the flywheel/ring gear, the pilot bearing, throw out bearing, fork, clutch kit(the one I'm looking at is under $100.00 on rock auto, it's an LUK with the clutch, alignment tool, and pressure plate), and...

I don't think I've ever seen a complete list of what is needed to go from an auto to a manual.
Johnny

DCLXVI
Ed Lijewski
Level 8

Post by Ed Lijewski »

T9 trans mount is same as for Scorpio A4LD but not for C3.

YMMV
Descartes: "Cogito Ergo Sum"
Lijewski: "Sum Ergo Drive-O. Mucho!
milehighXR
Level 7
Level 7

Post by milehighXR »

Dang, I just got rid of my last Scorpio trans mount IIRC :roll: :lol:
Johnny

DCLXVI
merkurdriver
Level 8

Post by merkurdriver »

milehighXR wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 12:50 pm
I don't think I've ever seen a complete list of what is needed to go from an auto to a manual.
Auto to T5 swap write up on merkurtech:

http://www.merkurtech.com/merkurtech/te ... tem038.php
milehighXR
Level 7
Level 7

Post by milehighXR »

I found that again, and have looked thru it and the one on Merkur Encyclopedia. However I see no pics of what it look like when they're talking about reusing the stock 2 piece drive shaft.
Johnny

DCLXVI
merkurdriver
Level 8

Post by merkurdriver »

milehighXR wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 10:40 am I found that again, and have looked thru it and the one on Merkur Encyclopedia. However I see no pics of what it look like when they're talking about reusing the stock 2 piece drive shaft.
Take the front section of the stock 2 piece driveshaft and have a T5 yoke welded on and balanced at a driveshaft shop.

milehighXR
Level 7
Level 7

Post by milehighXR »

Thanks, that makes it more clearer :cheers
Johnny

DCLXVI
milehighXR
Level 7
Level 7

Post by milehighXR »

Thanks to Jacek, I now have a 4 cyl T-5 to stick into my XR. Just have to get a few more bits, some oil, and then swap er in and then dispose of the C-3. Have had my fun with the auto trannies, but it's time to go manual and never look back...
Johnny

DCLXVI
milehighXR
Level 7
Level 7

Post by milehighXR »

What I can't find are the lengths of the bolt for crank to flywheel, and the clutch to crank. I'm going form C3 to T5 with my swap. I can measure once I get the flex plate, off, but I would rather have the bolts in hand before I get the flex plate off so I can just start putting things together.
Johnny

DCLXVI
Rocky's Wrench
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Rocky's Wrench »

SteveL
Orphan Addict...
milehighXR
Level 7
Level 7

Post by milehighXR »

Thanks dude, now I just gotta get some grade ? For the clutch housing to flywheel bolts.
Johnny

DCLXVI