Manual trans into auto xr

XR4Ti / Sierra / Sierra Cosworth Discussions - Questions, problem resolution, general talk, technical tips and modifications.
Merkur Club web site
andyofcolumbusmerkur
Level 7
Level 7

Re: Manual trans into auto xr

Post by andyofcolumbusmerkur »

Does your hand hit the radio head unit when you shift into 3rd or 5th? On my stock na miata I can extend my index finger and change the station or volume without looking while my hand is on the gear shift. But my knuckles never hit anything. I drove Mikes black car with a T5 and it had plenty of room no hitting. Engine must be moved back a little or something.
The best way to keep your Kia from being stolen is to not have a Kia.
milehighXR
Level 7
Level 7

Post by milehighXR »

thesameguy wrote: Sat Dec 28, 2019 11:21 pm This was back when it was originally installed:

It does include the lever part, which isn't shown. It does not include a knob - just a threaded nub on top of the lever. :)

I ended up using an 8 Ball shifter from Kragen as a short term fix, but it's still there all these years later. :)

That looks like the trans in in the same location as mine is now. How tall are ya, and how far back does the triax bring the knob? Even without airbags I tend to have my seat as far back as I can, but at 5'7" my t-rex arms(as my kids call them) need all the help they can get to reach the shifter. I am looking to get a set of Chuck W motor mounts, but he doesn't make them anymore. If I could shift the engine/trans rearward 1/2" that would reduce, if not eliminate cutting the floor pan. I can get my DP out in about 5 mins, so filling the trans from the stock fill hole on the side won't be an issue.
Johnny

1 86 XR aka Naomi- my first love, now daily driven project

DCLXVI
milehighXR
Level 7
Level 7

Post by milehighXR »

FYI my XR has a 02-07-1986 build date, and the crossmember for the trans mount is 12.75" wide overall, not between centers of the slots.
Johnny

DCLXVI
thesameguy
Level 7
Level 7

Post by thesameguy »

I'm 6' ... a 32" inseam for whatever that's worth. The ergonomics aren't perfect but acceptable, though seat travel has never been on my radar. It's probably close to the middle, maybe a little favoring the back half. I have always found the distance between the wheel and pedals to be short, so it's always a compromise for me whether I have good reach or good leg comfort. For me, the T5 shifter placement just adds to the problem. I agree moving it back a bit would be helpful, so I am probably going to try a late V6 transmission, which moves the shifter back 11/16". Not sure what that will do, but I'm thinking if I could do that and add a similar spacer to the wheel I'd be in business. I've been dying to replace the steering wheel anyway, so two birds with one stone. :)
milehighXR
Level 7
Level 7

Post by milehighXR »

Did a little bit of final fitting of the t-5 today. I think I have a reasonable angle on the front section of the drive shaft, and had to "massage" the tunnel sheet metal with a vise grips, and screw driver to get the inner boot to clear, and not have the trans rubbing on the tunnel once it was shimmed where I liked the angle of the front driveshaft.

Next weekend(provided I don't get a shelter in place order here in CO this week for that damned virus, if I do I'll poke at it everyday I'm home from work) I will be replacing the heater box while the interior is apart(the arm for the vent/defrost/floor door broke years ago when replacing the heater core). Then button up the t-5 install. I got a euro surround from Herson, and skull shifter knob from Amazon. Just waiting on a leather shift boot(also from Herson). I'll worry about sound deadener laterer. Of course once I do get the car running and ready for smog I'll be dead in the water until this virus thing settles down. DMV is closed for in person appointments right now, and they aren't likely to renew the tag for this online as I've failed the most recent smog attempt, and I'm way past one month over due on the tags :roll:
Johnny

DCLXVI
my8950
Level 7
Level 7

Post by my8950 »

Cool! Thanks for following through with the update!
andyofcolumbusmerkur
Level 7
Level 7

DMV is closed here also, and they said just drive around and don't worry about plates. I don't think cops are even going to pull you over.
milehighXR
Level 7
Level 7

Post by milehighXR »

andyofcolumbusmerkur wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 8:52 am DMV is closed here also, and they said just drive around and don't worry about plates. I don't think cops are even going to pull you over.

Yeah, we'll see. My last real tag expired in 2012, and the last temp tag expired in 2018 IIRC. But hey, I have the most important thing, insurance :lol:
Johnny

DCLXVI
andyofcolumbusmerkur
Level 7
Level 7

The insurance company may not honor the policy you paid for, because the fine print will require you to be up to date as far as registration is concerned. If you do get pulled over just say something about getting meds for a elderly family member, then cough or sneeze a little, the police will tell you to move along.
thesameguy
Level 7
Level 7

Post by thesameguy »

That isn't typically how insurance works. Except for the crappiest of crappy budget insurance policies, you will be covered operating any car in any condition up to the limit of your policy regardless of other variables. That's true of any reputable, national carrier. Some discount operators add weird restrictions about how and what you can do, but you'd never find that with State Farm or AAA or whatever. In fact, most states would prohibit that type of discrimination.

https://www.carinsurance.com/kb/does-ex ... oid-policy

https://www.insurancepanda.com/faq/does ... ce-policy/

With few exceptions, if your premiums are paid your car is insured, period.
andyofcolumbusmerkur
Level 7
Level 7

Like those sites say, it won't normally effect the policy. Like if you forget to get the new sticker then get in a fender bender the next day. I feel most of the insurance companies out there are going to use any excuse they can to not pay out. But I see what you mean you are probably ok if registration just recently expired. They are more concerned with people that get the registration revoked or lose their actual drivers license. But then this car was already not insured for road use correct? And the tag expired in 2012 right? They will probably deposit the check you send, then worry about things after you make a claim. Why don't you just get your drivers license bonded? That's what I do and I don't pay any extra for additional cars.
andyofcolumbusmerkur
Level 7
Level 7

I knew someone who thought they were covered, and paid their bill, but couldn't get the proof of insurance in the mail they needed to take with them for a court date. It was a more extreme circumstance since it was a problem with their drivers license not just a sticker, but I always remembered that. Also it proves that the insurance company may look at the dmv info even though they are separate entities.
thesameguy
Level 7
Level 7

Post by thesameguy »

I don't know the laws in every state, but generally speaking you shouldn't even need a driver's license to get car insurance. You don't even need a car. There is the concept of "non-owners car insurance" which covers you in a car accident when you're not driving, like if you got hit by a car while riding a bike. If you do own a car, your regular auto insurance should similarly kick in if you get creamed on a bike.

Insurance laws are very complex and do vary from state to state, but "insurance" and "legality to drive" should be quite divorced from one another.

You should always read your policy thoroughly. Lots of people don't do that, and that's why most people find they have insufficient coverage when something happens. Things like un/under-insured policies and understanding primary vs. secondary coverages and such are absolutely critical and should be examined regularly.
milehighXR
Level 7
Level 7

Post by milehighXR »

I think I'm a week or 2 out from driving the car. I am in an "essential" position and am permitted to go to and from work despite current restrictions limiting number of people in building at one time. We are also able to maintain 6ft apart so as long as no one brings it to work were good. Of course were small enough that if we are gone for a month, the company may not survive.

This car had tags once upon a time. I cancelled insurance after one year of not driving it, and then when I wanted to go for smog again in 2017 bought ins again. Cancelled it in 2018, then renewed again in 2019 in anticipation of getting another temp tag.

What really grinds my gears is that they are only giving me 24hrs tag to get smog, as if I can diagnose it and repair it without driving on the streets :roll:
Johnny

DCLXVI
thesameguy
Level 7
Level 7

Post by thesameguy »

They switched over to that Much Better System here a few years ago as well. 1-day "moving permits" so you can fail a smog, fix it, and get another smog again within 8 working hours. So easy! Nobody would ever need to spend 3 hours at DMV getting a second moving permit.

:haha