Awesome. A new noise!

XR4Ti / Sierra / Sierra Cosworth Discussions - Questions, problem resolution, general talk, technical tips and modifications.
Merkur Club web site
my8950
Level 7
Level 7

Re: Awesome. A new noise!

Post by my8950 »

thesameguy wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 7:38 pm
john keefe wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 2:18 am Go for the later, max torque WC T5's out of a V8.
I think the last V6 SN95s are every bit as strong as the V8 version... there's a whole thread about that from maybe 18 months ago I need to dig up!
Agreed! I'm not saying they aren't, just that the input shaft on the 94+ is longer due to the whole car being longer. I think the 94+ also has a better gearing option?
thesameguy
Level 7
Level 7

Post by thesameguy »

Here is the thread... I need to reread it!

viewtopic.php?f=30&t=32229&sid=4c0db17a ... 0f71933c3f
my8950
Level 7
Level 7

Post by my8950 »

thesameguy wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 10:20 pm Here is the thread... I need to reread it!

viewtopic.php?f=30&t=32229&sid=4c0db17a ... 0f71933c3f
Thanks for that! I printed it to PDF and save these kind of things for later use/reference.
thesameguy
Level 7
Level 7

Post by thesameguy »

I should definitely do the same... seems like I'm going to need to rely on it twice! :D
John Brennan
Level 8

Post by John Brennan »

That's the beauty of this Forum, vs., say, Facebook... I frequent both, but we should never forget where the real, searchable library and repository of facts is to be found!
This is my car, and these are my people!
2015 Fiesta ST
2020 Edge 2.0 Ecoboost
thesameguy
Level 7
Level 7

Post by thesameguy »

I never have had and never will have a social media account of any type, so you can count on my never forgetting about the forum! :D
Ed Lijewski
Level 8

Post by Ed Lijewski »

MCA Forum is like bible study or executive board staft meetings (reserved, protocol infused, formulaic, with approved meeting summary notes).

MCA FB is the array of Forum topics plus even more but like Carlisle parking lot open-ended bench racing sessions.

YMMV
Descartes: "Cogito Ergo Sum"
Lijewski: "Sum Ergo Drive-O. Mucho!
thesameguy
Level 7
Level 7

Post by thesameguy »

Ed Lijewski wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 6:33 pmMCA FB is the array of Forum topics plus even more but like Carlisle parking lot open-ended bench racing sessions where there are ad billboards literally everywhere and people you don't know write everything that happens down so they can figure out how to sell it to someone else.
FTFY!
Ed Lijewski
Level 8

Post by Ed Lijewski »

thesameguy wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 6:45 pm
Ed Lijewski wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 6:33 pmMCA FB is the array of Forum topics plus even more but like Carlisle parking lot open-ended bench racing sessions where there are ad billboards literally everywhere and people you don't know write everything that happens down so they can figure out how to sell it to someone else.
FTFY!
Not if you use "FB Lite" app (no/NO ads, nothing but what you/YOU choose to see and open or not).

YMMV
thesameguy
Level 7
Level 7

Post by thesameguy »

Believe whatever it is you gotta believe.

They are giving you a platform, you are definitely giving them something back.
Ed Lijewski
Level 8

Post by Ed Lijewski »

As Billy Shakespeare reportedly observed, "Yon thesameguy doth protest too much..." 😉

YMMV
thesameguy
Level 7
Level 7

Post by thesameguy »

Maybe.
thesameguy
Level 7
Level 7

Post by thesameguy »

I put it up in the air this morning and, well, it's all inconclusive. :|

With the car running in 1st and 5th there is zero noise from the transmission or from the driveshaft u-joints. Total silence.

I notice there is a distinct wobble to the driveshaft, but putting the dial gauge on it all the deflection is ON the driveshaft. The yoke and diff flange are perfect, but there is a distinct arc to the driveshaft. It's a Ford aluminum part, and I find it hard to believe an XR4Ti could bend the thing. But at the same time I have no recollection of what it was like when I installed it a decade ago.

I don't see any interference on the driveshaft itself. The e-brake cable and brackets are REAL TIGHT, but they've been that way since I installed everything, and there's no evidence of contact on the parts or the driveshaft itself.

The diff is silent. There is some slop between pinion and ring gear - I can rotate the driveshaft maybe 15 degrees or so before it picks up. I don't see an actual issue there.

The only place I am getting noise during this test is the half shafts.... all four CVs are making a racket in 5th. They're silent in 1st, but once they get moving they are literally rattling.

I think the next step is to replace those half shafts. It's not huge work assuming the bolts cooperate... they have been out before though I cannot for the life of me remember why. But those parts have been on the car for a long long time, so I don't feel bad about replacing them. The noise is road-speed dependent, it doesn't change from gear to gear, so that could be a match.

Seems like there aren't any options for half shafts.... Surtrack from RockAuto is it. Anybody have any experience there?

Edit: Autozone sells "Duralast Gold" axles, but they use the same imagery as rockauto's SurTrack and are 30% more expensive, although you do get a lifetime warranty down the street. The price difference is $50 total... maybe worth it?

Edit2: Autozone has free shipping and 20% off orders over $100 this weekend, so the cost end up within $5 of RockAuto. I pulled the trigger. Now to go soak my torx bolts in penetrating oil.
thesameguy
Level 7
Level 7

Post by thesameguy »

Took 10 minutes to get the axles off.

Three of the four joints are a bit bindy, one of the cups has a couple divots. Grease was present, but pretty dried up.

I'm reasonably certain they are not the source of the noise, but I don't mind replacing them. While I wait for the replacements to show up, I think I'm going to yank the driveshaft and take it to a shop for inspection. Maybe also see about hunting down another transmission, or maybe having mine rebuilt.
thesameguy
Level 7
Level 7

Post by thesameguy »

Also, it's becoming VERY difficult to find 4cyl transmissions.

So either a V8 transmission with a turned down input shaft that's 1/4" short
Or a '94+ transmission, with a turned down input shaft, and an MD-401-2110 adapter for the bellhousing, and modify the driveshaft or its adapter to get back the ~11/16" the bellhousing adapter uses

Or find someone to rebuild mine... which for a number of reasons I'm not prepared to deal with right now. :)