Awesome. A new noise!

XR4Ti / Sierra / Sierra Cosworth Discussions - Questions, problem resolution, general talk, technical tips and modifications.
Merkur Club web site
89Merkur

Re: Awesome. A new noise!

Post by 89Merkur »

I was worried about clearancing the case as well but it was not a big deal, if anything I over thought it. I can take some photos. If I can figure out how to post them, well that’s a different story.
Silence is better than bull****
thesameguy
Level 7
Level 7

Post by thesameguy »

I'd love some additional pictures - I'm sure others would as well. I should be building the diff this weekend so it would be good timing.

If you don't have an image host (imgbb, imgur, etc.) you can PM me and I can get them hosted via email.
my8950
Level 7
Level 7

Post by my8950 »

Here are a few photos I have seen over time...
Attachments
Eaton2.JPG
Eaton2.JPG (154.8 KiB) Viewed 5019 times
eaton1.JPG
eaton1.JPG (124.77 KiB) Viewed 5019 times
89Merkur

Post by 89Merkur »

Looks similar to mine but I took out less material than that, although mine has to be in the "right" position and you have to say the appropriate series of curse words and voila it falls right in. Love to post a pic but I have not seen the (probably) obvious way to do that yet though...
my8950
Level 7
Level 7

Post by my8950 »

89Merkur wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 11:35 pm Looks similar to mine but I took out less material than that, although mine has to be in the "right" position and you have to say the appropriate series of curse words and voila it falls right in. Love to post a pic but I have not seen the (probably) obvious way to do that yet though...
Send it to me, I'll post it. Subscribed members can post photos to the site, or if you have a photo hosting application you can link it to there.
john keefe
Level 7
Level 7

Post by john keefe »

What happened to the diff housing in the first pic? Looks like it lost a fight with a crown gear?
my8950
Level 7
Level 7

Post by my8950 »

john keefe wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 7:23 pm What happened to the diff housing in the first pic? Looks like it lost a fight with a crown gear?
good question, I see that somewhat often on these Eaton setups. Can't say it doesn't go un-noticed. I'll ask when I see another one posted...
89Merkur

Post by 89Merkur »

Pics of case grind, it has not made it off of the bench yet though
1586128636664.jpg
(1.77 MiB) Not downloaded yet
thesameguy
Level 7
Level 7

Post by thesameguy »

That's so clean it's inspiring!!
89Merkur

Post by 89Merkur »

Do you have a photo all put together with the stubs installed? I finally put mine together, mainly because I wanted to make a fixture to hold the diff in while I set backlash and that took roughly 3-4 years :shock:, but thanks to big ‘Rona as the wife calls it here we are. On mine the left stub is .90 off of the housing and the right side it is 1.26 as measured by my caliper. I had to use a thinner snap ring than was supplied by mc2, theirs measured .090 thick and the one I used was .050 thick. It is still good for quite a bit of thrust force so hopefully that is all good.
Attachments
IMG_0224.jpg
IMG_0224.jpg (110.24 KiB) Viewed 4894 times
IMG_0221.jpg
IMG_0221.jpg (89.82 KiB) Viewed 4894 times
89Merkur

Post by 89Merkur »

Here is a couple more photos
Attachments
IMG_0226.jpg
IMG_0226.jpg (104.35 KiB) Viewed 4894 times
IMG_0225.jpg
IMG_0225.jpg (97.29 KiB) Viewed 4894 times
thesameguy
Level 7
Level 7

Post by thesameguy »

Thank you for posting these! It's nice to have an album of peoples' LSD projects.

I have my axles back, but asked the shop to redo the .25" spacer with something a bit fancier than laser cut steel. It's a stupid detail, but I'm in no hurry. :)
thesameguy
Level 7
Level 7

Post by thesameguy »

Man, everything takes forever these days! :)

Modified axles:

Only three are pictured, but I had four done. Maybe I have two spares, maybe I can build two diffs. We'll see which way the universe ends up going!

Here's a closeup of two of them:

Although the initial conversation was welding it up and turning it back down, in the end the machine was concerned about making them fragile with heat, so sleeved them. The axle on the right was a bit chewed up (https://img.sacsaabs.org/xr/xr_lsd10.jpg) so the sleeve was tack welded in place to be sure it didn't move. Nice that they paid attention. And, nice that a chewed up axle is now good as new!

mc2 supplies a pair of completely adequate laser-cut steel spacers, but after putting a bunch of time and effort (well, I put in money...) into the sleeves, I asked the machine shop to make new spacers:

This allowed my sleeves to run the full length of the axle, and the spacers are machined to the OD of the sleeve so they are removable. That way I've got four interchangeable axles rather than two left and two right with preinstalled spacers.

The spacers fit like a glove...

Each axle ended up costing $125 (OUCH), but it's nice work that I don't ever have to think about again. And, I found a great machine shop that actually expressed enthusiasm about doing some weird engine work on my SPG, so that's something to look forwards to.

This weekend I should be able to build the diff and install it. Then the car will continue sitting there for a long time, since I basically cannot afford to do any more work on it for a while. Stupid pandemics getting in the way my hobby. Booo.
89Merkur

Post by 89Merkur »

Glad you found a solution, you could do without the spacer if you cut off the end of the stub shaft and cut a new groove for the ring clip (just in case you want to perfect your install that is). Take a look at the photo of mine on the right hand stub shaft it would hit the center pin of the differential if it wasn't for the spacer. A few extra minutes on a lathe and that could be solved. I need to buy a lathe...
thesameguy
Level 7
Level 7

Post by thesameguy »

Yeah, but cutting the axle gets me back to dedicated left and right side axles, whereas the spacer lets them remain universal, and that's preferable to me.