Working on my oldest car

XR4Ti / Sierra / Sierra Cosworth Discussions - Questions, problem resolution, general talk, technical tips and modifications.
Merkur Club web site
andyofcolumbusmerkur
Level 7
Level 7

Working on my oldest car

Post by andyofcolumbusmerkur »

66 degrees today in NE Ohio. Pretty awesome to drive around, no salt on the road, get some gas, and finally put front ambers in this bumper. This 86 XR4Ti looks better than it has in the last 10 years or so, and starts right up even when it sits for months.
Edit : 71 degrees in Akron Ohio breaks 1890 record
The best way to keep your Kia from being stolen is to not have a Kia.
andyofcolumbusmerkur
Level 7
Level 7

Re: Working on my oldest car

Slow process, car was damaged in hail storm and un-svo'd after being used as a race car
2015 replace super bald kumho tires, timing belt, plugs, filters, battery, hatch, cowl, vac lines, radio
2016 replace headliner with freebie (Thanks Mike!)
2017 replace bumpers, arches, upper dash, lower dash and sail panels (pull a part donor)
2018 major slacking
2019 major slacking though I did add PE
2020 turn signals
to do:
Switch back to bi-wing, paint front bumper, replace inner headlights, replace front wheel bearings, driveline vibrations (above 100), clean up electrical and hvac. Lots of fun for basically no money. I spent zero dollars on plates and insurance last couple years with bonded license and historic tags. Mike hooked me up with better dash really cheap, better cowl really cheap, tail light really cheap. The bypass valve setup still works good which was installed back in the 90's or something.
my8950
Level 7
Level 7

Post by my8950 »

I went from Detroit to Cleveland Saturday to pick up some parts and meet up with an old friend, I have to admit it was pretty nice...
DAReese
Level 7
Level 7

Post by DAReese »

I think I know what car that bumper is from.
David Reese

88 XR4Ti - mono white T5, someday to be bi wing
89 Scorpio - waiting on some parts before it hits the road again
88 XR4Ti - mono red C3, parts car
used to own 86 dark blue traded in on a min van, what was I thinking?
andyofcolumbusmerkur
Level 7
Level 7

DAReese wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 2:39 pm I think I know what car that bumper is from.
Ya Mike hooked me up with those when I was buying a turbo or npr or something. That green car had regular (smooth style) bumpers then got real cossie rear and I believe cossie front replica painted to match. It was all done up with holset etc but I guess it was never tuned or completely finished for some reason. I think the roll cage was sold Carlisle 2013 out of the back of a F-150. It looked pretty cool with the blended cossie style arches.
merkurdriver
Level 8

Post by merkurdriver »

71° in January... in Ohio is a strange but welcome event. Its 7 days later and I'm looking at a white out right now.
Nice to see that car out on the streets. :cheers
andyofcolumbusmerkur
Level 7
Level 7

I hate this weather. I just got the last parts for my snowboard bindings in the mail yesterday, woke up all excited to see a few inches of snow today, now it is 34 degrees and raining.
reddy2300
Level 4
Level 4

Post by reddy2300 »

We had a 1/2" thick sheet of ice this morning just 100 miles South in Columbus. I'd trade it for a couple inches of snow.
1987 XR4ti--Mustang Cobra 5.0/T5 transmission, AFR heads, fake BBS wheels, Koni Yellows, Rapido sway bars, poly/aluminum bushes, Eurolights, Sierra rear/Focus front discs,
R Code
Level 1
Level 1

Post by R Code »

We've had a bunch over the last week. We'd like some more, please.
- Chris

'89 XR4Ti (5 speed) - sold
andyofcolumbusmerkur
Level 7
Level 7

Took this XR out yesterday. All the rain washed away the evil road salt. We hardly even had a winter here in Ohio, global warming I guess. I keep thinking "I should sell this car since I don't really need it and the 89 will be finished eventually" but then I drive it some, do a few donuts down by the railroad tracks, and always change my mind. Plus the tags are good for another 48 years so there's that.
thesameguy
Level 7
Level 7

Post by thesameguy »

I hear you on the global warming. I've been driving the Viggen convertible a month, top down most days. It's been in the 60s and 70s for over a month here. No rain, no frost. I have a feeling summer is going to be horrific.