Source for replacement head

XR4Ti / Sierra / Sierra Cosworth Discussions - Questions, problem resolution, general talk, technical tips and modifications.
Merkur Club web site
Chris_12
Level 2
Level 2

Source for replacement head

Post by Chris_12 »

Well, my 89 XR race car cracked it's head. :( So, now I am looking for a source for an appropriate head that will suit a race car. Outside of rummaging through a junkyard, I am trying to quickly get it installed before I move across the country in a month. Going through the places on the home page, I did not have any luck. Just doing a quick search online, I found these:
https://www.jegs.com/i/ATK-Engines/059/ ... 4294825058
https://www.jegs.com/i/ATK-Engines/059/2FC8/10002/-1
(Not really sure what the difference between them)
And this... for $1100 :shock: :
http://www.rapidogroup.com/test/newprod ... linderhead (scroll down a bit)
'89 Merkur XR4Ti Racecar-The Beast
'88 Merkur XR4Ti-The Build
'87 Merkur XR4Ti-The Beauty
Always looking for a '85 Merkur XR4TI (blue preferably) for my dad
thesameguy
Level 7
Level 7

Re: Source for replacement head

Post by thesameguy »

There probably isn't s difference between those two heads... they are interchangeable part numbers.

The Rapido head seems like a nice piece, but I'd wanna see some numbers vs just calling me brain dead. :( $1100 and I gotta supply guides/valves/etc? Definitely need the numbers.
merkurdriver
Level 8

Post by merkurdriver »

No need to ponder, the Rapido alum head has been NLA for quite some time.
andyofcolumbusmerkur
Level 7
Level 7

Post by andyofcolumbusmerkur »

What about trying the pull it yards? You may get lucky and find a 2.3 roller since there's usually lots of rangers. Don't forget to bring the cordless impact with you.
The best way to keep your Kia from being stolen is to not have a Kia.
zxr250cc
Level 5
Level 5

Post by zxr250cc »

Hi all,

A head for an '86 from ATK would be $465 plus tax and they are not showing one for an '89 at present, it seems. These are loaded heads, not empty.

Cheers
1986 XR4Ti Mineral Blue Metallic
Chris_12
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Chris_12 »

Thanks for all the replies. I got one on the way.
'89 Merkur XR4Ti Racecar-The Beast
'88 Merkur XR4Ti-The Build
'87 Merkur XR4Ti-The Beauty
Always looking for a '85 Merkur XR4TI (blue preferably) for my dad
zxr250cc
Level 5
Level 5

Post by zxr250cc »

Hi all,

While in this topic of getting a head I must say i would not trust a junk yard pull head at this late date for the 2.3 engine. I know it could be cheap but will it have cracks? In '99 I had a search for a head and it took four tries to get one without being cracked, then. I finally had to request the head be checked for cracks prior to shipping it to me.

ATK or another reputable supplier would check it before rebuilding it so at least it should be good out of the crate.

YMMV

Cheers
1986 XR4Ti Mineral Blue Metallic
andyofcolumbusmerkur
Level 7
Level 7

Post by andyofcolumbusmerkur »

I sold some 2.3 heads on ebay that were from disassembled turbo engines and they looked great. Some older ones I soaked overnight in vinegar to remove the rust. How common is head cracking really on these engines? Seems like there is plenty of meat on them, not like some aluminum headed engines I've taken apart that have cracks around the valves from getting just a tad on the warm side. If you pull a head at the pull it your darn self places, check it out first before you buy it. You could take a little can of wd-40 and a wire brush to scrub off the carbon. But ya I would rebuild it, at least put some nice new valve springs in there. They are 52.99 (sohc w/cam) at the place near me in Akron Ohio, plus environmental fee plus tax plus 10 dollar core. I've seen two xr4tis there, an intercooled turbo coupe, and tons of non-turbo 2.3 limas. But if you need it like right now I guess there are much easier and quicker methods.
The best way to keep your Kia from being stolen is to not have a Kia.
merkurdriver
Level 8

Post by merkurdriver »

andyofcolumbusmerkur wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 8:13 pm How common is head cracking really on these engines?
So common you could go out and pull the head off of your perfectly running XR, take it to the machine shop and they will find tiny cracks the closer you get to the exhaust valve area.

Its tough to find one with zero cracks, but its easy to find a useable one.
thesameguy
Level 7
Level 7

Post by thesameguy »

100%

I had the exact same experience as zxr250cc back in '05ish. I had a blown head gasket so went to the junkyard and pulled a head, thinking it would be fine. Cracked beyond repair. Got another. Cracked beyond repair. Got a 3rd, and it had a couple minor cracks the machine shop was comfortable welding (welding cast iron = HARD). This was 15 years ago. I'd expect every head on a car in 2020 is cracked. Except mine. It's a beautiful, precious angel.