Up on jackstands, diff out

XR4Ti / Sierra / Sierra Cosworth Discussions - Questions, problem resolution, general talk, technical tips and modifications.
Merkur Club web site
thesameguy
Level 7
Level 7

Up on jackstands, diff out

Post by thesameguy »

Any harm to the rear beam or its mounts if it's left hanging without the diff to triangulate it? Or, should it be supported? The car is on jackstands, so no weight other than the weight of the beam itself.
my8950
Level 7
Level 7

Re: Up on jackstands, diff out

Post by my8950 »

As long as you keep working on it and don't make it a 10 yr project like mine, it should be ok.
thesameguy
Level 7
Level 7

Post by thesameguy »

Hopefully only long enough for Hansen Machine to modify the stub axles. Although the diff going back into the car was a spare, I'm going to have him do two sets of axles at the same time so I don't have an emergency down the road... so I gotta yank the existing diff out of the car too.
john keefe
Level 7
Level 7

Post by john keefe »

I'd think if the shocks are stilled bolted up, you're good. But, if you've got extra jacks, or a couple blocks of 4x wood, I'd lift the semi-trailing arms with a jack, and block the STA's up closer to ride height (not really possible with the springs). That'll take a little strain off the CV's and the boots. And, that's largely the "unsupported" weight which it sounds like you're concerned about.