Any one painted their wheels?

XR4Ti / Sierra / Sierra Cosworth Discussions - Questions, problem resolution, general talk, technical tips and modifications.
Merkur Club web site
zxr250cc
Level 5
Level 5

Any one painted their wheels?

Post by zxr250cc »

Hi all,

I am considering repainting the wheels for the '86 and they are silver phone dials. I have been looking at dupli color silver paint kits with clear coat as a two step process. Anyone used those kits? My wheels are fine with no dings, just faded and not shiny as before.

I look forward to replies!

Cheers
1986 XR4Ti Mineral Blue Metallic
andyofcolumbusmerkur
Level 7
Level 7

Re: Any one painted their wheels?

Post by andyofcolumbusmerkur »

I've used that dupli-color silver wheel paint lots of times. Usually just paining the center caps on various brands saab, toyota, mazda etc. It seems to match very close to the original finish. After a couple years you may have to do it again, it's not as good as having the wheels power coated or anything. I've never used the base/clear dupli-color you are considering, I'd guess it's better than the single stage. Also there's some refinished (powdercoat or even chrome plated) stock wheels floating around out there. You may be able to snag a nice set for less than what a shop would charge.
The best way to keep your Kia from being stolen is to not have a Kia.
zxr250cc
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Any one painted their wheels?

Post by zxr250cc »

Thanks for the news about the paint. I will try my luck and see how it goes. As for other phone dials, I would probably order 17" or 16" wheels if I was going to get other wheels as tire selection would be better.

Cheers
1986 XR4Ti Mineral Blue Metallic