New owner of a new to me xr4ti

XR4Ti / Sierra / Sierra Cosworth Discussions - Questions, problem resolution, general talk, technical tips and modifications.
Merkur Club web site
andyofcolumbusmerkur
Level 7
Level 7

Re: New owner of a new to me xr4ti

Post by andyofcolumbusmerkur »

Buffalobill wrote: Sat Oct 24, 2020 9:27 pm After looking into it, I have the generic ebay special aluminum overflow tank, with what looks like a proprietary 13 lb cap.

I guess an upgrade to the overflow tank is in order....

Does anyone have ignition switch problems, where it doesn't shut off? I had to kill it with the auxiliary fuel pump switch earlier...
If it is welded aluminum with no cracks I would use it with a new cap. Probably just a plain old radiator cap and 1.1 bar. The stock coolant expansion tank is plastic so metal is an upgrade. Same with the radiator. The starter solenoid is something to look at when key doesn't power off. That 12+ wire powers up the relays. If the ignition stays powered up with the key off, and you pull the fuel relay to stop the engine, and you disconnect the neg battery terminal, then reconnect that terminal, ignition and dash lights may now be turned off. Then you will know it is not the key switch itself but a sticking relay like from some bad ground or electrical gremlin. I would take out all the relays (mark with a sharpie for quicker reinstall) and vac out the box, check for corrosion, check for bad relays, and use electrical contact cleaner. Clean up all grounds. I usually have to clean up the extra ground wires I added at the rear tail lights yearly, at the same time I soak the connector down with wd40 and wire brush them clean. Also open the looms and check the wires under the hood especially near the exhaust/turbo.
The best way to keep your Kia from being stolen is to not have a Kia.
Buffalobill
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Buffalobill »

merkurdriver wrote: Sun Oct 25, 2020 1:57 am
andyofcolumbusmerkur wrote: Sat Oct 24, 2020 7:32 pm Yes the hazard button not working is common, and also common is when the turn signals don't turn off automatic when you straighten the wheel.
x100 very common problem remedied by a new turn signal switch / hazard button assembly.

Who's selling them?
Buffalobill
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Buffalobill »

andyofcolumbusmerkur wrote: Sun Oct 25, 2020 10:18 am
Buffalobill wrote: Sat Oct 24, 2020 9:27 pm After looking into it, I have the generic ebay special aluminum overflow tank, with what looks like a proprietary 13 lb cap.

I guess an upgrade to the overflow tank is in order....

Does anyone have ignition switch problems, where it doesn't shut off? I had to kill it with the auxiliary fuel pump switch earlier...
If it is welded aluminum with no cracks I would use it with a new cap. Probably just a plain old radiator cap and 1.1 bar. The stock coolant expansion tank is plastic so metal is an upgrade. Same with the radiator. The starter solenoid is something to look at when key doesn't power off. That 12+ wire powers up the relays. If the ignition stays powered up with the key off, and you pull the fuel relay to stop the engine, and you disconnect the neg battery terminal, then reconnect that terminal, ignition and dash lights may now be turned off. Then you will know it is not the key switch itself but a sticking relay like from some bad ground or electrical gremlin. I would take out all the relays (mark with a sharpie for quicker reinstall) and vac out the box, check for corrosion, check for bad relays, and use electrical contact cleaner. Clean up all grounds. I usually have to clean up the extra ground wires I added at the rear tail lights yearly, at the same time I soak the connector down with wd40 and wire brush them clean. Also open the looms and check the wires under the hood especially near the exhaust/turbo.

I don't know where to find a new cap for the overflow, it's one of the 20 dollar ebay specials. The cap seems tiny...
andyofcolumbusmerkur
Level 7
Level 7

I have the MD tank (and the red silicone hoses) ready to install. It just has a plain cap on it marked 1.1 bar. It's pretty small here's a picture from Mike's site. I also got my turn signal stalk from MIke. I'm sure either Mike or Jeff have used ones and possible nos ones. Both are good Mike is just closer to me. They are pretty helpfull. If you put a list of items together for them, pay ahead, and go and pick up the parts they may hook you up. Easier if they don't have to ship big stuff. If you buy a big item they may throw in some other items it just depends. Worth the trip if you have the time to do it.
http://www.merkur.50megs.com/
http://merkurmidwest.com/
merkurdriver
Level 8

Post by merkurdriver »

Buffalobill wrote: Sun Oct 25, 2020 1:16 pm
andyofcolumbusmerkur wrote: Sat Oct 24, 2020 7:32 pm Yes the hazard button not working is common, and also common is when the turn signals don't turn off automatic when you straighten the wheel.
x100 very common problem remedied by a new turn signal switch / hazard button assembly.

Who's selling them?
Here's a european-spec version I just tested in a car earlier today. (Made a little better than the North Americanspec ones):

https://www.ebay.com/itm/193724283138

DAReese
Level 7
Level 7

Post by DAReese »

I've been lucky, none of mine have had an issue with the hazard button, and I've got a box of replacements if it ever happens, including a Euro one with and one without the horn button.
David Reese

88 XR4Ti - mono white T5, someday to be bi wing
89 Scorpio - waiting on some parts before it hits the road again
88 XR4Ti - mono red C3, parts car
used to own 86 dark blue traded in on a min van, what was I thinking?
Bob Weir
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Bob Weir »

David

You're on my list of having "unobtainables" or at least "really hard to find and/or expensive to buy".
DAReese
Level 7
Level 7

Post by DAReese »

Bob Weir wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 2:38 pm David

You're on my list of having "unobtainables" or at least "really hard to find and/or expensive to buy".
Not the only list I'm on....
David Reese

john keefe
Level 7
Level 7

Post by john keefe »

Wow... that was a PDQ sale on the Euro turn signal stalk! Nice.
reddy2300
Level 4
Level 4

Post by reddy2300 »

andyofcolumbusmerkur wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 7:11 pm What do you do, daily drive a 3 decades old car?

As a matter of fact....
1987 XR4ti--Mustang Cobra 5.0/T5 transmission, AFR heads, fake BBS wheels, Koni Yellows, Rapido sway bars, poly/aluminum bushes, Eurolights, Sierra rear/Focus front discs,
DAReese
Level 7
Level 7

Post by DAReese »

merkurdriver wrote: Sun Oct 25, 2020 7:13 pm
Buffalobill wrote: Sun Oct 25, 2020 1:16 pm

Who's selling them?
Here's a european-spec version I just tested in a car earlier today. (Made a little better than the North Americanspec ones):

https://www.ebay.com/itm/193724283138

I've got a Euro one or two, but I've never seen one with that hazard button before.
David Reese

andyofcolumbusmerkur
Level 7
Level 7

I'm not the one that said that (What do you do, daily drive a 3 decades old car?) because I daily a 1.5 decades old car.
merkurdriver
Level 8

Post by merkurdriver »

DAReese wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 3:09 pm
I've got a Euro one or two, but I've never seen one with that hazard button before.
Hideaway hazard:

my8950
Level 7
Level 7

Post by my8950 »

merkurdriver wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 4:27 pm
DAReese wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 3:09 pm
Hideaway hazard:

Did that just get out of a cold lake?
Frogger

Post by Frogger »

Buffalobill wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 12:18 am Is rapido still open? I tried calling but no answer.
I emailed them, no reply, if they are not gone, their lack of communications does not fill me with confidence to order anything from them even if they are not gone.