Direct-Pull T-5 Bell Housings

XR4Ti / Sierra / Sierra Cosworth Discussions - Questions, problem resolution, general talk, technical tips and modifications.
Merkur Club web site
DPDISXR4Ti
Site Admin

Direct-Pull T-5 Bell Housings

Post by DPDISXR4Ti »

I thought I had shared this info in here, but apparently I only posted it on Turboford (about 15 years ago!) https://turboford.org/thread-d5-vs-d9-d ... light=bell Figured I'd go ahead and share it here for reference...

08-28-2005, 12:42 PM D5 Vs. D9 Direct-Pull Bell Comparison
Well, I have finally answered the question of what the differences are between these two bells, since I own one of each. In fact, I now own what I believe is a complete collection of the four different bell-housings used between the Lima 2.3 and T5 (and it's predessors), from 1975 through 1993. But I digress....

The part# for the T4 bell, as used behind the '79 & '80 Mustang Turbo, is D9ZC 6394 EA. The part# for the RAD bell, as used behind the 2.3 Mustang II, is D5ZA 6394 AB. Although the two are generally the same, the D9... bell does have several minor differences, including:

1) Two 1"+ holes in the vertical side where it mates to the transmission. Anyone know why these are there? This "feature" was carried through to the other bells that came afterwards.

2) The two ribbs on the bottom of the bell were half deleted on the forward section of the bell (probably a clearance issue).

3) Clutch cable guide is reinforced with more metal

4) Weep holes (slots, really) were added fore and aft at the bottom of the bell (i.e. the D5 bell appears to be completely sealed, except for the clutch fork pass-through). Or were these slots added for pry-bar access possibly?

5) The clutch pivot ball is located about 1/2" closer to the center pass-through

6) The clutch pivot ball is taller by about a 1/2"

Of these 6 differences, the most significant one would appear to be #5, since it would suggest that a different fork is used with this bell. The fork was already gone from the vehicle I sourced the D9 bell from, so I haven't got a direct comparison.
Brad
reddy2300
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Direct-Pull T-5 Bell Housings

Post by reddy2300 »

Thanks for this, Brad!
1987 XR4ti--Mustang Cobra 5.0/T5 transmission, AFR heads, fake BBS wheels, Koni Yellows, Rapido sway bars, poly/aluminum bushes, Eurolights, Sierra rear/Focus front discs,