Here's a new one... car cannot be fueled!

XR4Ti / Sierra / Sierra Cosworth Discussions - Questions, problem resolution, general talk, technical tips and modifications.
Merkur Club web site
john keefe
Level 7
Level 7

Re: Here's a new one... car cannot be fueled!

Post by john keefe »

Curiouser and curioser... if its not an obstruction, and everything's stock, and it's not the fuel nozzles, then I have no clue. Not worried, though, been called/described worse than that. :D
eaton53
Level 6
Level 6

Post by eaton53 »

john keefe wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 9:54 pm Curiouser and curioser... if its not an obstruction, and everything's stock, and it's not the fuel nozzles, then I have no clue. Not worried, though, been called/described worse than that. :D
Well... we're gonna find out, but not until next month.

My guy has a 3rd thing to do. When he had it last time he noticed the the tranny was a little overfilled.
So he took a little out. Now when the car is cold and sits on my sloped driveway, it goes out of gear into neutral by itself.
As soon as it warms up a little, it goes back into gear. Every time.
So I will have him add a little back in while he's got it.
Mark Copeland - I'm 50 miles west of Kewanee, IL

'89 XR4Ti
Car was the 2014 MCA Merkur Preservation Award Winner
'89 Scorpio
This one has a very bright and shiny future.
Proud member of the Iowa-Illinois Merkur Owner's Association since 2015. :cheers
andyofcolumbusmerkur
Level 7
Level 7

Post by andyofcolumbusmerkur »

You just have to find a filling station that allows you to pump really really slow. Like you pump for 5 minutes, but instead of 15 gallons pumped you only added like 2 or 3. I've had a car or two (never a Merkur though) that would not take gas smoothly. You could also fill from a gas jug very slowly with the jug's vent closed off to help slow the flow.
The best way to keep your Kia from being stolen is to not have a Kia.
eaton53
Level 6
Level 6

Post by eaton53 »

andyofcolumbusmerkur wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 3:42 pm You just have to find a filling station that allows you to pump really really slow. Like you pump for 5 minutes, but instead of 15 gallons pumped you only added like 2 or 3. I've had a car or two (never a Merkur though) that would not take gas smoothly. You could also fill from a gas jug very slowly with the jug's vent closed off to help slow the flow.
I've managed to get a couple of gallons in during the various attempts and the low fuel light wasn't on.
So, there's enough in there to go the Cruise-In #1 and over to my mechanic.
Then we'll find out why it's not letting me fill 'er up.

In the meantime, I've got a pretty good backup plan...

'89 XR4Ti
'89 Scorpio
Proud member of the Iowa-Illinois Merkur Owner's Association since 2015. :cheers
Bob Weir
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Bob Weir »

Maybe...

The EVAP system monitor checks for fuel vapor leaks by performing either a pressure or vacuum test on the fuel system. ... During EVAP system monitoring the PCM tests for vapor leaks by applying vacuum or pressure to the fuel tank, vapor lines and charcoal canister.

Disconnect the vac hoses to ensure no back pressure to tank.
eaton53
Level 6
Level 6

Post by eaton53 »

Well, it goes to my guy on the 27th.
We will see!

'89 XR4Ti
'89 Scorpio
zxr250cc
Level 5
Level 5

Post by zxr250cc »

Hi all,

I was driving yesterday and tried to top off the tank in my XR. The pump repeatedly kicked off as it started to deliver fuel. After trying a couple of minutes I gave up and went into the station and mentioned the issue. The trouble was the pump, not the car. I drove ten miles to a different station that sells 93 octane gas and it filled up with no issues. With this having happened i thought of the one mentioned in here.

My company has a Ranger pick up that hates to be fueled and it is very irritating to try filling it. In that case it is the truck that is the problem. It is more or less troublesome with different stations pumps' but always hard to fill with constant shut offs as it fills. Slow, fast, move the filling nozzle around, no difference; it just acts like it hates gassing up. It does finally get filled but is a real sore spot to find that vehicle on empty when needing to use it.

I drove forty miles or so in an April Missouri snow storm today and it was pretty but finally coming down so fast it was starting to 'stick' on the road, not melt, as I neared Lake of the Ozarks. I looped around and went south out of the heaviest snow and came back to my friends farm to park the car for the day.

Cheers
1986 XR4Ti Mineral Blue Metallic
eaton53
Level 6
Level 6

Post by eaton53 »

zxr250cc wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 3:32 pm Hi all,

I was driving yesterday and tried to top off the tank in my XR. The pump repeatedly kicked off as it started to deliver fuel. After trying a couple of minutes I gave up and went into the station and mentioned the issue. The trouble was the pump, not the car. I drove ten miles to a different station that sells 93 octane gas and it filled up with no issues. With this having happened i thought of the one mentioned in here.
Wish I was that lucky, but I have tried several different gas stations, all with the same result.
It's going in for repair next Tuesday.

'89 XR4Ti
'89 Scorpio
eaton53
Level 6
Level 6

Post by eaton53 »

Car is back and it takes gas now.
My guy stuck a hose attached to a VERY strong pump down the neck while running and sucked everything outta there.
He says it'll vaccum up anything that's even a little loose.
Then he put a fancy camera he has into the tank. The scene was described as "pristine".

The gas that was in there? Free fuel for my guy's lawn mower!! :cheers

'89 XR4Ti
'89 Scorpio
Ed Lijewski
Level 8

Post by Ed Lijewski »

Yeah...but what caused the issue?

YMMV
Descartes: "Cogito Ergo Sum"
Lijewski: "Sum Ergo Drive-O. Mucho!
eaton53
Level 6
Level 6

Post by eaton53 »

Ed Lijewski wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 6:38 pm Yeah...but what caused the issue?

YMMV
It'll remain a mystery.
Didn't see him use it (can't watch for insurance reasons) , but my guy has a Super Slurping Suck Machine.
That's the thing about professionals. They have toys that us ordinary mortals do not.
Now it works... and he didn't take anything apart.

'89 XR4Ti
'89 Scorpio
john keefe
Level 7
Level 7

Post by john keefe »

Nice. Didn't even find a restriction in the fill neck/tube? Sounds like it must have been some alien vapor lock. Which reminds me, I have to go fix the garbage disposer 'cause it keeps shooting out water geysers every time... Mystery plug-up somewhere.
Ed Lijewski
Level 8

Post by Ed Lijewski »

My bet (two cents) is he did find crud blocking the upper neck vent holes but given "Customer Says..." experience, he wrote on the work ticket that he connected his Slurpee Vac and the issue was resolved with chargeds for labor, consumables, disposal fee, and state tax.

YMMV
Descartes: "Cogito Ergo Sum"
Lijewski: "Sum Ergo Drive-O. Mucho!