Having some electrical issues with my new (to me) XR4TI

XR4Ti / Sierra / Sierra Cosworth Discussions - Questions, problem resolution, general talk, technical tips and modifications.
Merkur Club web site
my8950
Level 7
Level 7

Re: Having some electrical issues with my new (to me) XR4TI

Post by my8950 »

jkxr4ti wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 3:37 pm Here’s a post with links to the manual and evtm. Download those both they are great resources. Check all the small vacuum lines for cracks and tears. Boost gauge vacuum line going to the back of the gauge cluster is another spot to check especially if your boost gauge doesnt work well or you hear a hissing inside the car.
I would look for vacuum leaks, clean the throttle body and then set the base idle. If that stuff doesn’t help check the tps voltage. All those things are outlined in the manual but let us know if you have questions.
viewtopic.php?f=30&t=32434&p=291532&hil ... df#p291532
This is a necessity! Besides the fact that there are probably enough hard copies to go around for the remaining cars left out there.
Best reference as well as getting a copy of the EVTM for your year.
EllieG

Post by EllieG »

Ended up sending it to the mechanic because it's a really busy work week, and I needed new brake pads and don't have a way to get under the car yet.
It was the cat, of all things! The thing was nowhere near working condition, and basically clogged the exhaust. Mechanic removed it and it runs like a dream - guess the new IAC, EGR delete, throttle body cleaning, and all that won't hurt but dang that was unexpected.

Getting her back later this week, I'll share some photos soon :D

I have the full shop manual, but no owners manual yet. Thanks for the links!
1985 Mineral Blue Automatic
my8950
Level 7
Level 7

Post by my8950 »

EllieG wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 5:25 pm Ended up sending it to the mechanic because it's a really busy work week, and I needed new brake pads and don't have a way to get under the car yet.
It was the cat, of all things! The thing was nowhere near working condition, and basically clogged the exhaust. Mechanic removed it and it runs like a dream - guess the new IAC, EGR delete, throttle body cleaning, and all that won't hurt but dang that was unexpected.

Getting her back later this week, I'll share some photos soon :D

I have the full shop manual, but no owners manual yet. Thanks for the links!
Where are you located?
I also think I have an owners manual if you're interested too.
Send me a PM and give your address, can get it to you.

Thanks!
EllieG

Post by EllieG »

Where are you located?
I also think I have an owners manual if you're interested too.
Send me a PM and give your address, can get it to you.
Dallas area! And PM'd, thank you so much.
EllieG

Post by EllieG »

Just wanted to drop in to say that after a lot of late nights, the car is happy again :)

Getting things running uncovered some coolant system woes - whoever did work on that system last was a bit insane. Lower radiator hose had sprung a leak at some point and been repaired by a sleeve and some caulk, and the old water pump had also been attached with caulk :roll:. At some point, those issues meant the expansion tank also started to fail, so for now we're running a delete / fill port and longterm going to replace the tank. Took the opportunity to get some new rotors and pads, new booster, and a high flow cat (since the old one was basically dead and responsible for the low-idle issues).

After fixing all that, the car is a dream to drive! Still gets a bit warmer than I'd like but never overheats, and my fiancee is dailying it to drive to work without issues. You can see in the photos there's still some small stuff - I need to replace one of the wiper lines, and the little rubber piece of trim for the front fascia likes to come undone on the driver side - but nothing scary is left.

Ed Lijewski
Level 8

Post by Ed Lijewski »

Inside parking FTW.

YMMV
Descartes: "Cogito Ergo Sum"
Lijewski: "Sum Ergo Drive-O. Mucho!
andyofcolumbusmerkur
Level 7
Level 7

Post by andyofcolumbusmerkur »

Looking good :cheers
The best way to keep your Kia from being stolen is to not have a Kia.
my8950
Level 7
Level 7

Post by my8950 »

Car looks really good!