Tires rubbing

XR4Ti / Sierra / Sierra Cosworth Discussions - Questions, problem resolution, general talk, technical tips and modifications.
Merkur Club web site
milehighXR
Level 7
Level 7

Tires rubbing

Post by milehighXR »

Getting ready to drive the XR again, and the last couple times I had her out, I noticed wierd sounds when the steering wheel was cranked thru turns. Apparently my front tires are rubbing on the inner fenders, again. I have Hypercoil front springs from MC2(have to find receipt to remember what I have) but they are rubbing, I can see the paint has been removed by the tires. I am running 195-60-15 on Scorpio wheels. I can't remember if I'm using Scorpio front control arms or not, will have to measure and check. I also will double check ride height, but I seem to recall being at stock height as measured to the top of wheel arch from center of wheel.

What else could be causing this issue, if not ride height? I really don't wanna take the struts apart to add a spacer, though I seem to have spacers made of delrin ready to go in. Though they could be for the rear, its' been too long since I made them :roll: And the rear is another topic, as I have -3° camber on the drivers side right now...
Johnny

1 86 XR aka Naomi- my first love, now daily driven project

DCLXVI
Ed Lijewski
Level 8

Re: Tires rubbing

Post by Ed Lijewski »

Dou have outer tie rod ends with the "angle" tip to limit turn-in before tires hit metal?

YMMV
Descartes: "Cogito Ergo Sum"
Lijewski: "Sum Ergo Drive-O. Mucho!
milehighXR
Level 7
Level 7

Post by milehighXR »

I dunno, what do they look like? Is that the little "wing"? Will that affect turning radius?
Johnny

DCLXVI
Ed Lijewski
Level 8

Post by Ed Lijewski »

Yes, those. The wing limits the wheel arc.

This subject was discussed in a post here not long ago with some suggestions to try. Do a search.

YMMV
milehighXR
Level 7
Level 7

Post by milehighXR »

Will do, I actually think I have 1 or more laying around that look like that. Dunno if they're any good.
Johnny

DCLXVI
milehighXR
Level 7
Level 7

Post by milehighXR »

No wings on the outer tie rods that are on the car. I did notice today on the way home from work what sounded like tires rubbing on the inner fenders thru one curve, and it wasn't even near full lock.

Maybe there's something else going on?
Johnny

DCLXVI
Ed Lijewski
Level 8

Post by Ed Lijewski »

Original fender liners?

Peeps use ~'90s Mustang fender liners which fit okay with some heat gun stretching, but maybe not always as well as OEMs in areas where tires can contact inner fenders.

[attachment=0]Screenshot_20210928-185446_Chrome.jpg[/attachment]

YMMV
Attachments
Screenshot_20210928-185446_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20210928-185446_Chrome.jpg (544.54 KiB) Viewed 3894 times
GPz11
Level 6
Level 6

Post by GPz11 »

If the wheels are sticking out past the fender, you probably have Scorpio lower control arms.

In a weird coincidence, I had a XR LCA on one side and a Scorpio on the other. The Scorpio one stuck out farther.
milehighXR
Level 7
Level 7

Post by milehighXR »

Ed, fender liners disintegrated years ago, this is tire on painted surface.

Gpz, when I look at the inner fender it appears as if the tires are rubbing on the inboard side of the tire, not the outer fender where rolling it might help. I will measure this weekend to see it I have Scorpio arms up front, but I don't think I do, of course I'm getting old, and the arms that are there were put in 6-7 yrs ago. I know I'm running the Scorpio front bar, it was hell to install.

Is the hole pattern in the subframe wider on Scorpio front subframe where the arms bolt in? I did change my front subframe out cuz the original was bowed significantly. Can't remember if the one I used came from a Scorpio, or an XR.
Johnny

DCLXVI