How many 1 owner cars left in here?

XR4Ti / Sierra / Sierra Cosworth Discussions - Questions, problem resolution, general talk, technical tips and modifications.
Merkur Club web site
zxr250cc
Level 5
Level 5

Re: How many 1 owner cars left in here?

Post by zxr250cc »

Hi all,

I flew into Pittsburgh in '85 to do a dealer show when working for a speaker manufacturer. I needed to go to Monroeville and the cab fare was outrageous. I walked over to the car rental counter and asked what kind of rent-a-racer they had to offer. The guy behind the counter had a Lincoln and an XR4Ti to rent. It was less than the cab fare. I rented it for two days and drove all around the area with others in the car and we all liked it. It was metallic blue with sun roof and grey leather interior.

I bought the same color combination when I bought the '86. I liked the look of it.

Cheers
1986 XR4Ti Mineral Blue Metallic
DPDISXR4Ti
Site Admin

Post by DPDISXR4Ti »

Ed Lijewski wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 8:20 pm Was remembering the gray XR give-away; what year Carlisle was that 20 years, 25 years?
2005 was the two XR4Ti give-away year at Carlisle - the aforementioned re-painted red car that Dave Planakis gave away at the dinner, and the 34K-mile 1986 Nimbus Gray XR4Ti that Carlisle gave away on sunday.
Brad
Ed Lijewski
Level 8

Post by Ed Lijewski »

Memory can play tricks on us. I totally recall Dave's involvement in a Carlisle car giveaway. Until you corrected me I associated it with the grey XR...and totally blanked on the other XR (which I still can't recall an image of).

Often wondered what happened to the grey one, any info or clues?

Ditto for the red one?

YMMV
Descartes: "Cogito Ergo Sum"
Lijewski: "Sum Ergo Drive-O. Mucho!
DPDISXR4Ti
Site Admin

Post by DPDISXR4Ti »

Ed Lijewski wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 11:57 am Often wondered what happened to the grey one, any info or clues?

Ditto for the red one?
The gray one, won by Jason Liss (sp?), was sold about two years ago. I don't know what's happened with it since.

The red one - the good one given away by Carlisle in 2010, is still owned by the Howards AFAIK.
Brad
EodGuy99
Level 2
Level 2

Post by EodGuy99 »

I just acquired a Paris Blue/ Blue cloth non sunroof automatic car from the original owner, now its a two owner I guess. I still have the original title he received when he bought it.
Has just over 99k, always garaged and full service history to boot.
Jeff
merkurdriver
Level 8

Post by merkurdriver »

Ed Lijewski wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 11:57 am
Often wondered what happened to the grey one, any info or clues?

Ditto for the red one?
That grey one now belongs to Steve Radosevich (after a good number of years with no Merkur). Cue the Merkur theme song Hotel California.

The low miles red one given away by Carlisle was won by Nate Howard. He still has it, parked right next to the other 20 Merkurs the Howard family has...
RoadBuilder

Post by RoadBuilder »

Not quite a one owner but close. I clearly remember in 1986, not sure what month, my Mom, Dad, and I drove down to Boulder CO in my Dad's 1980 F-250 to buy Mom a new car. She had been looking at various cars including a Porche 924, Mercedes 190, and Mustang SVO. She had decided on the Merkur. When we picked up the car Mom was nervous about driving it on the highway so I drove it home for her. Dad of course drove his truck home.

Mom kept the car until about 10 years ago when she gave it to me. I started working on it but, as with many things in life, it has moved to the side and is now just sitting. The car is extremely straight. One little dent in the hatch where my son dropped a ladder and just caught the back of the lid. Of course all of the clear coat is pealing but other than that the body is perfect. The leather interior is completely dried and cracked. Mechanically I have replaced all the bushings with MC2 pieces and went with a 15" rim. My son and I replaced the valve seals and that solved the oil burning issue but there are still numerous leaks including oil and PS fluid. The rack is in need of new seals. And the Guibo needs to be replaced. And then there are all the usual little things that need fixing.

I am hoping that maybe THIS summer I will get to it. We'll have to see.....

Fred
'86 XR4Ti, Silver, 73,000 miles. Mom bought it new and has had it ever since. I got it from her in July of '04. Bone stock!
guytford

Post by guytford »

Thought I responded before but,
Bought my XR new in 85. It has stayed with me through several moves and 4 states. Has not been driven in 15 years and currently doing a minor restoration trying to use NOS, good used original parts and exact replacements as it is very, very original with 72K miles. Hope to be driving again in Spring.
DAReese
Level 7
Level 7

Post by DAReese »

Both my driver and parts XRs are two-owner cars. I bought my white one from Bob Barrett back in 2012 with about 240,000 miles on it. Currently has 278,000 miles on it. My parts car had 66,000 on it but it had a bit of rust on the pinch welds and the awful C-3 bit the dust again after a rebuild, so it is currently waiting for me to salvage the useable parts before it is turned into a toaster.
David Reese

88 XR4Ti - mono white T5, someday to be bi wing
89 Scorpio - waiting on some parts before it hits the road again
88 XR4Ti - mono red C3, parts car
used to own 86 dark blue traded in on a min van, what was I thinking?